Yukon territory advice?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

diazjoaquin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Yukon territory advice?

Post by diazjoaquin »

Thanks for reading my post.

First of all may 2013 bring health and flying hours to all of us!

I am planing to move to the Yukon to look for my first pilot job, I am trying to get ready for whats to come and would like to know if any of you gents who had flown in the northern territories would advice me on things such as what to wear? where to go to apply for job first? and I would really appreciate any advice I could get from you..

Thanks

Regards
Joe
---------- ADS -----------

Oleo 4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Yukon territory advice?

Post by Oleo 4 »

The Yukon is not a solid place to find your first flying job unless your willing to put time in on the ramps in Whitehorse for a few years and have 500+hours. Be prepared to spend a few seasons on the ramp and then a few working seasonally. Just a fact the mining industry in the yukon and the little winter work. If you have your heart set on it go and try talking to the smaller companies like Sifton Air in Haines Junction, Great River Air in Whitehorse/Dawson City. You'd be more likely to fly sooner going to Yellowknife/normal wells/ or even companies like Borek who work a little further north but rotate you out of the south.

Either way enjoy your journey.

atmosphere
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atmosphere »

Oleo 4 wrote:The Yukon is not a solid place to find your first flying job unless your willing to put time in on the ramps in Whitehorse for a few years and have 500+hours. Be prepared to spend a few seasons on the ramp and then a few working seasonally. Just a fact the mining industry in the yukon and the little winter work. If you have your heart set on it go and try talking to the smaller companies like Sifton Air in Haines Junction, Great River Air in Whitehorse/Dawson City. You'd be more likely to fly sooner going to Yellowknife/normal wells/ or even companies like Borek who work a little further north but rotate you out of the south.

Either way enjoy your journey.
+1

IMO you'll have a better shot in the Northwest Territories: Yellowknife, Fort Smith, Fort Simpson, Norman Wells. Good luck.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

The Yukon is a fantastic place to live, however as others have pointed out there are not many positions for low time pilots... The following companies are in operation and you can always fire them a resume.

Air North: Probably your best bet, expect work the ramp for 1-2 years, then go right seat on a Hawker. Good company, little turnover, I suspect it might be one of the fastest ways to get into a jet in Canada if that is your thing. The routes might get a little boring as it's mostly sched flying to the same locals day in and day out. A lot of great people work there though and Air North is highly regarded by us locals.

Alkan Air: The largest fleet in the Yukon, I suspect they are loosing one of their twin otters this coming season in favor of a 1900. I know for medevac there is a 500 hour requirement. The entry level jobs were right seat on the twin otter, but those spots are already spoken for. I was there for two years and loved the vast majority of it. Above industry average for wages I would say, good schedule, good perks, nice new facilities, machines are kept in good shape. They also have quite a varied fleet from a 172 to twin otters and BE3B's. 1000 hours required for the 172, it goes into some interesting places.

Whitehorse Air Service: If I recall are getting rid of their charter side, but still operate the flight school. A while ago I did my instructor rating there. The CFI is a top notch guy. The pay is decent, but generally not full time and they are quite upfront about that. They will not dangle a carrot. When I finished I was told that I could get employment there but it would not be enough to pay bills despite the higher hourly wage. Good outfit, good people, probably a good way to get your foot in the door if you are a low time pilot (the flying community is very small in the Yukon... everybody knows everybody, do well at one place and word spreads)

Tintina Air: Newer company owned by one of the nicest guys I know. I don't think they higher low time people (feel free to correct me on this). They are one of the few companies that operate piston beavers on wheels in the summer, also have a Navajo and a Cherokee. They do some awesome flying, at the catch that you should get some experience before attempting it. I think their Navajo is going IFR next year and it's all single pilot so legally you would need at least 1000hrs.

Alpine Aviation: Float operator out of Whitehorse. I know several people who got their start here, generally most had about 50 hours on floats with their commercial. The boss is also a good guy and will look after you, if you are a dirtbiker I know he loves it. It is seasonal work and pays quite well, but it would be hard to live in Whitehorse for the full year at the starting wages. Whitehorse thinks it's Vancouver there days. Mind you the pay would still be higher then any entry level job in the lowe mainland.

Nomad Air: Another relatively new operator who flies Skyvans and now a Dornier. They hired some low time co-pilots last year and I expect they would be looking for more. I'm not up in YXY at the moment but word on the street is their shiny bright 228 as rolled in. The bosses know their stuff and you would learn a lot here.

Sifton Air: Out of Haines Junction primarily, mostly sight seeing flights over Kluane national Park. If you became a pilot for the view, this is the job for you. They hire low timers to fly the scenic flights. I'm not sure how busy they are, I think others could shed light on that.

Great River Air: Mostly operates out of Dawson and a little out of Whitehorse, like most jobs in the Yukon it's seasonal. Good group of guys with a lot of experience, unfortunately I suspect they would be looking for a 1000 ish hours for the 206.

Black Sheep: Float operator out of Mayo, to my knowledge fully crewed for next season and don't take on fresh commercial pilots. Both the owners and the chief pilot are great people and I fined them easy to get along with.

I Think that's it for operators up in the Yukon. If someone sees something wrong with my descriptions please feel free to correct me. I have been fortunate enough to spend my entire life up in the Yukon. If you do take the plunge and move up there, look me up. I'm always keen to go for a beer at the Chalet. Good luck on the search, feel free to pm me if you want to know anything else.

Cheers,

E

Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tanker299 »

There is also Northern Rockies air charter out of Watson Lake. They sometimes take low timers but look for 500h+ the pay is terrible and you would only get to fly the 206 wheel plane. The lower your time the more you are a glorified dockhand. The old timer who fly's the beaver is one of the best pilots in the territory and a real nice guy who passes on his knowledge if you listen. If you want to know about single engine otters he is your man, 14000h behind the old piston pig.

Most of the flying up here is not for beginners. Lots of tight places and the WX combined with the terrain can get you in some trouble.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

The drive to Yellowknife isn't as esthetically pleasing, but a stop in high level, vermillion, hay river might pay off better. Yk is Carhartts Country. What you do is more important than how you look doing it.

Whitehorse is beautiful, but the destinations from there are usually something that cause insurance companies to scream, so low-timers find it hard to get a look in.

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

I'll add Rocking Star Adventures out of Burwash Landing (Fort Nelson, BC in winter) but again they are a small operation.
http://www.coolplaces.ca/index.pl/Rocki ... Adventures

LF

Return to “General Comments”