Project: Parkland Airport - West of Edmonton

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Aunty Aerodrome
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Project: Parkland Airport - West of Edmonton

Post by Aunty Aerodrome »

Tom H wrote:
To confirm Aunty

The Anti Aerodrome Committee meetings are open to ANY resident of the area regardless of their position pro or con on the Parkland Airport.

Yes or No?

The reason I want to be very clear on this is several non aviation friends that are residents tell me they have been told they may not attend meetings as they are either indifferent to the Parkland Airport and don't see what the big deal is, or are in favor of the development.

I said I would post the question on the forum, publicly, and advise them of the response.

Thank you

Tom H
Tom,
I forwarded your inquiry on to one of the AAC Committee members and the gist of their response was this:

First, your inquiry referred to AAC Committee meetings. Committee meetings are restricted to members of the committee. AAC Community Meetings are open to members of the AAC. They directed me to the homepage of their website which defines the AAC as: "a community standing united against the development of an aerodrome in our peaceful rural environment" and defines membership as: "as members, we all share a common goal - to STOP the development of an airstrip in rural Spruce Grove by whatever means legally available to us."

The first meeting organized by residents back in September was open to the general public. Since then, with the formation of the AAC, meetings held that pertained to AAC business have been open to members only. Thus, AAC Community meetings are only open to those who meet the membership requirement of being opposed to the airport, unless otherwise specified.

They informed me that not unlike other organizations, members share a common mindset or goal, and meet regarding that goal. Therefore, information being presented does not pertain to anyone not of the same mindset. AAC Community meetings have been held with the intent to inform members, not to debate issues at hand, and are not town hall meetings open to the general public based on that reasoning.

They also pointed out that generally, organizations and societies hold membership meetings not open to the general public when discussing issues pertaining to their organization or society so this is not unusual.

Also mentioned was the suggestion that if proponents of Parkland Airport wished to have a public meeting, there is nothing preventing them from renting a hall and organizing a more public event.

Hope I have passed on enough information to fully answer your question Tom.
---------- ADS -----------

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

Thank you

I will be cut and pasting your post (and the link to this forum) and forwarding it to my friends.

Bearing in mind they are RESIDENTS of the SANDHILLS AREA of PARKLAND COUNTY

I also find it interesting, that from what I read on your AAC website, the AAC is supposed to be representing the Sandhills community and that the meetings are open to RESIDENTS (which I support as it helps keep outside influences from directing events), but as I read the posted response I am left with the message the AAC is meant to only represent SELECT residents of the Sandhills Community.

Thank you for the clarity from your group and as I stated I will forward to those SANDHILLS RESIDENTS that asked me to inquire.

In my highly biased personal opinion
TH

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

Aunty Aerodrome wrote: They directed me to the homepage of their website which defines the AAC as: "a community standing united against the development of an aerodrome in our peaceful rural environment" and defines membership as: "as members, we all share a common goal - to STOP the development of an airstrip in rural Spruce Grove by whatever means legally available to us."
Your website defines anti, aerodrome and cooperative. interesting that your statement exchanges community for cooperative.

Community can mean:

1. Group of people with a common goal
2. Group of people who live in the same area

Your above statement can be misinterpreted to read that ALL locals are united against the airport. As you know, that is not the case. I'm sure you don't want to mislead. I look forward to seeing your definition of community added to clarify intent.

Aunty Aerodrome
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aunty Aerodrome »

MrWings wrote:
Aunty Aerodrome wrote: They directed me to the homepage of their website which defines the AAC as: "a community standing united against the development of an aerodrome in our peaceful rural environment" and defines membership as: "as members, we all share a common goal - to STOP the development of an airstrip in rural Spruce Grove by whatever means legally available to us."
Your website defines anti, aerodrome and cooperative. interesting that your statement exchanges community for cooperative.

Community can mean:

1. Group of people with a common goal
2. Group of people who live in the same area

Your above statement can be misinterpreted to read that ALL locals are united against the airport. As you know, that is not the case. I'm sure you don't want to mislead. I look forward to seeing your definition of community added to clarify intent.
To be VERY clear, it isn't my website Mr. Wings. And my response to Tom was posted after contacting the AAC myself. Perhaps those with questions should do so as well. Their contact information is on their website. It's not as though they are holed up in some cave overseas in hiding. They are easily accessible.

Regarding your own posted definition of community, and your comments that I used the words "community" and "cooperative" interchangeably, "a group of people with a common goal" would describe the AAC, would it not? As would the definition of "cooperative" found on their site. The definition of community does not only refer to a group of people who live in the same area. I find that part of your comment baseless. But this is only my literal take on the two words.

If you believe it is misleading, perhaps email the AAC and ask them to adjust their website.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Are you a member of the AAC?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

Sounds like she is, i have bets thats its either Florence or Summer.

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Aunty Aerodrome wrote:I wouldn't think that has anything to do with the upcoming court appearances in January or Enoch's polite refusal to negotiate compensation.

Probably just the weather.
So theres about a couple dozen people in administration, maintenance, and instructing who are not only building a career, but also make their living at EFC and now for six weeks do not have that ability. And you callously gloat that you and your new found friends at Enoch are responsible for that? Yet youre concerned about the disruption of the traditional hunting way of life of the Cree? Ya, I'll have to call bullshit on that one.

You couldnt care less about either yet you want us to bend over backwards so as not to disrupt your own? the worls has to work around you potato farmers. Amazing...

BTW how many natives come off the reserve and hunt in your county? Let alone on the 80 acres that now make up Parkland County Aerodrome? Do you give permission for natives who ask to come hunt on your land? Have any ever asked?

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Refer again to the flyer that I posted on THIS thread.

You are only welcome at the meetings if A) You can prove you are a resident and B) you oppose PADC.

Nothing like wanting to hear the opinions of others, which may differ.

I wonder if there's a secret handshake or if you get a cool patch for your backpack? :D

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

I have a way in, I'm going to go and sing and drink from the same Kool Aid!! Sounds like fun, maybe a singalong, some Vietnam protest songs?
Hippies?

"I need a time machine"
rac007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Re:

Post by rac007 »

ThatArmyGuy wrote:
Beefitarian wrote:That are not operating out of their temporary hanger?
not yet, the proposed 2 week shutdown has become a 6 week plan with more possible pushbacks.

From what I hear, everything is ready for the temp hangars to go up. They are just trying to sort out if they have to conform to provincial building codes or federal building codes or both.

ScreaminBanshee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ScreaminBanshee »

The temp hangar is up and they are operating from it. Last I heard, they are hoping to have the permanent hangar complete by September.

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

Yep, Enoch took PADC to court today, oh well. Judge wants 1-2 weeks to come up with whether or not an injunction will happen.

albertan22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by albertan22 »

I really hope that the judge has the good sense not to grant the injunction if he decides to send this to trial. Now that the Edmonton Flying Club has moved to Parkland and presumably made a significant investment in infrastructure, I wouldn't want to see them take another big hit by being shut down for the years that it could take to resolve a case like this. I did my PPL at EFC and would hate to see them put under by all this ridiculous fighting.

From an academic standpoint, this has the makings of a really interesting lawsuit that could have the potential to go all the way up to the supreme court. Unlike some of the past aerodrome lawsuits pursued by COPA, this seems like it's not just another jurisdictional issue referring to the feds being the only power over aerodromes. This is based on allegations surrounding federal laws and the constitution. Based on what's been in the media (primarily the paper in Spruce Grove), the argument around the breach of Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (CEAA) kind of fascinates me as I deal with CEAA regularly through my profession. This legislation triggers an environmental assessment (EA) that becomes part of the approval process for projects that have the potential to affect federal lands (among other things) such as the nearby reserve lands. However, given the aeronautics approval process occurs after something is built, can you really prevent the facility from going operational prior to CEAA approval? Also, CPL6 submitted their project description to CEAA, so did they do their due diligence? Or did they go operational prior to a determination being made regarding their project? Don't even get me started on the whole treaty rights thing... The Enoch are right in that there's a duty for the government to consult, but then, it's really gray as to how much effort you need to put in if they're not responding to your communications. In some cases, they put a cap on the level of effort, in others, you need to keep trying until you have documentation in your hands that the first nation is satisfied. How they decide the level required has always been a mystery to me.

This is a complex case that I could see dragging on and on with various appeals from whichever side the judge sides against. An injunction would be catastrophic for the EFC and other businesses that may have invested in moving out there. While I look forward to seeing how this plays out from a professional standpoint, I hope that the judge takes the burden of proof seriously and doesn't issue an injunction for business to cease on this site while the matter is resolved in what could be a lengthy court process.

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

The injunction was denied. PADC wins!

ScreaminBanshee
Rank 1
Rank 1

The Enoch can still and most likely will appeal.

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

Cant be any worse than the AAC

Anti-Aunty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Anti-Aunty »

OMG,
Hitler started a "Society called a junior branch, the Deutsches Jungvolk," for boys aged 10 to 14. ... corps designed to develop future officers for the Wehrmacht (Armed forces). This was also a closed club that spun hate and untruths to unsuspecting easily swayed people and if any of the "Card Carrying Society Club Members" expressed opinion not in line with the Regime they faced corporal punishment!

AAC Club Membership.....??
The AAC, as an incorporated society, is holding an AAC members only meeting with the purpose of discussing upcoming actions with retained legal counsel and other interested parties. Mr. Bill McElhanney and Chief Morin will be addressing members. Registered members will be notified of the details shortly. ID at the door will be required to gain access. If you meet the criteria of membership, and are concerned that you are not a registered member, please email us at stopparklandairport@hotmail.com as soon as possible. Be sure to include your position regarding the airport development, your full name, and applicable contact numbers.

NOTE: Due to the information presented by retained counsel, all those attending AAC meetings will be required to be registered card carrying AAC members, meeting the criteria of members as set out by the society, and will be required to sign a legally binding document to that effect. Misrepresentation will be punishable under the law.

Sincerely,
The AAC Committee
:prayer:

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Wow. "The Society".

These people are utterly laughable.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Isn't it too late?

The pavement is painted. I'm pretty sure the environment there is history now.

RIP rural parkland.

ScreaminBanshee
Rank 1
Rank 1

I'm pretty sure the runway takes up less land than 270 and 265. Now that the runway is there nice grass will be planted in the infield and the neighbors will never have to worry about an industrial park putting a mod yard on that property.

PS Parkland county is 2,400.5 km2 and pretty much all rural. a couple hundred acres does not spell the end for rural parkland county. Were you this concerned for the Acheson Industrial Area which is 10,000 acres of previous rural land in Parkland County?

Return to “General Comments”