Plane seized in suspected caribou hunt

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

midwingcrisis
Rank 5
Rank 5

Plane seized in suspected caribou hunt

Post by midwingcrisis »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... 30301.html

The provincial government has grounded a small plane in Labrador that may have been involved in illegal caribou hunting in the area.

In a statement released Friday, Justice Minister Darin King confirmed that "a plane has been temporarily seized as part of an investigation into alleged illegal hunting activity in Labrador."

"While no charges have been laid at this point, the investigation is continuing."

Just before sundown on Thursday the plane set down on the ice near Sheshatshiu.

Innu elder Caroline Andrew, who lives across the street from where the plane landed, said a large crowd was on hand.

"I saw people parking on the road ... there were a lot," Andrew told CBC News.

"I heard someone say there were nine [caribou off-loaded]," said Andrew.

Andrew said she also saw the RCMP on the scene, as well as a helicopter.
Hunt banned in January

In January, the provincial government announced a ban on hunting caribou with the George River herd in Labrador for five years.

But the Innu Nation told CBC that hunters would still take 150 male caribou for each community between now and April.

Innu Nation Grand Chief Prote Poker said the nine animals that were brought to Sheshatshui were among 30 caribou that were killed. He also confirmed they were from the George River herd.

And Poker said they will continue to hunt them.

"We told the government that we won't comply with the ban of caribou [hunting]," he said. "We've been very cautious about the way we hunt caribou. We've been very conservative on how many caribou we kill."

Poker said the Innu usually take about 1,000 caribou each year, but they have cut that number to 150 this year.

Andrew agrees with the hunt.

"If someone brings me some, I'm going to take it because I need it," she said.

Sources said the animals came from Shipiskan Lake, about 100 kilometres north of Happy Valley-Goose Bay.
Plane owner seeks legal advice

The plane that landed on Sheshatshiu beach is part of Big Land Aviation Services, which is owned by Clarence Froude and New Brunswick RCMP officer Albert Michelin.

Michelin said the business is based out of 5 Wing Goose Bay in Labrador.

He said he's confused as to why his plane was seized.

"After all this turmoil that's going on, not once has the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, not once have the RCMP that's located in the district of Labrador. not once has anyone taken the time to even try to contact me, to involve me into what's going on here," he said.

Michelin also said he doesn't understand why his competitor's helicopters, which the Innu hired to locate the caribou, weren't also seized.

"I've been in the RCMP for 23 years plus, and what's going on here is completely wrong. It's completely wrong in the way it's being approached."

Michelin said he will be seeking legal advice in the matter.

"We will be going after the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador and the Government of Canada to recover our money for the losses that we're accruing right now."
---------- ADS -----------

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Plane seized in suspected caribou hunt

Post by Driving Rain »

Over zealous Conservation Officers do this shit all the time. I once saw them seize an aircraft that had circled his chosen water landing area twice as one would expect. CO testified in court they were spotting near by Moose. They got their aircraft back and all their gear but had their hunt ruined not to mention the money waisted on licenses, lawyers, time off work , travel to court etc.
I also witnessed them harass a guy with a camera for get this....harassing wildlife!
Their big trick here in Onterrible is to leave a cruise-a-day outboard motor gas tank by the road to catch hunters eyes. When they stop they can't help but notice the fake robotic moose a few yards off the road behind some shrubs. When the hunter puts a shot into it they jump out and charge then seizing everything! A friend familiar with the tactic threw the tank in the cab of his half ton and drove off with it. When they stopped him up the road and wanted their tank back....your tank? "I found this tank at side of the road with no one around, finders keepers." Red faced CO limps back to the office shy a fuel tank. Too funny!

Hire a lawyer that is familiar with native rights and good luck to you.

Bobby868
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bobby868 »

Ummm an RCMP officer who is part owner in an aviation company had one of his planes involved in an illegal hunt and he is crying becuase no one will tell him why his plane has been seized?

I think this is a case of if you're to stupid to know the reason then there's no point in us wasting our time.

He should consider himself lucky if all he losses is his plane. Seems to me if he had any knowledge of what this plane was doing he should losse his RCMP job as well.

sh*t magnet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sh*t magnet »

I'm guessing that if the impaired driving and domestic assault didn't end his RCMP career this little hunting thing will go away too.

V1VRV2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1VRV2 »

Shit Magnet
Fill us in I cant take the suspense !!! what about his other legal troubles ? Also if he’s an Owner he has a legal responsibility to KNOW wht the $uck his airplane is doing… he should also be charged with illegal hunting as well and have his RCMP status or whatever you call it suspended at best immediately until the full investigation is completed, and Oh btw I don’t mean with pay status screw these ignorant bastards who think they are above the law until they PROVE they were innocent…

What have we allowed to happen in this country we are all guilty of complacency, lets start now and re-instate a degree of dignity to our system that includes all Police, Politician , and Civil servants.

Who’s with me on this ?

FILL US IN I CAN’T TAKE T

Last edited by V1VRV2 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

just guessing that he may have been arrested but not formally charged, it happens way too regularly. The discipline process is quite onerous according to the new commissioner" paulson" and he wants it changed as well.
Wed, 30 May, 2012 - CBC.ca 3:13 | 9,765 views

Federal Public Safety Minister Vic Toews says the government will be introducing new legislation dealing with RCMP discipline after RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson voiced frustrations in an open letter to Canadians

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

First of all what is illegal hunting for non statis may not be illegal for statis natives. They've (Indians) won pretty well every challenge in court on this issue. I suspect this guy was charged only because the fish and wildlife authorities figure it's a way to limit the natives. ie the transportation of the meat back to the reserve. The question then becomes is it really hunting if all you did was transport dead animals from the kill site to the reserve ? I've read many hunting regulations and they can be interpreted broadly as to what is hunting and what is not. In the end it will come down to what a court decides.
If the aircraft was owned and flown by a First Nation company I suspect we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

sh*t magnet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sh*t magnet »

Can't say he was formally charged, I do know it happened. Last I knew he was assigned desk duty here and then faded away. I was surprised to hear he was still RCMP. BTW he is of Native American descent.

V1VRV2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1VRV2 »

Edited due to my insensitive attitude.

Last edited by V1VRV2 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fanspeed
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by fanspeed »

V1VRV2 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Native .... How does that not surprise me ...
Time to change this whole Indian act.... They signed/ sold the lands fair and square back then how many times do we people Canadians have to pay for it ?

We need to start a Canadian tribe and ask for our rights
Why don't you do some research with an open mind.

Return to “General Comments”