Take home pay in Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bananaskins767
Rank 1
Rank 1

Take home pay in Canada

Post by bananaskins767 »

I've applied for several positions in Canada recently and would like to know what sort of monthly take home salary I could expect if my yearly wage was in the 100 K area...

Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Take home pay in Canada

Post by flyinthebug »

Around $2800-$3000 bi-weekly depending on which province. $6000 a month would be an average, reasonable number.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I think it might also depend on which province you live in as the tax rates are different. Also, in Alberta for example, there is only GST, which can make a huge difference if you are buying a car, and fixed goods when you are moving here, but they have high real estate prices. A bit more than simply looking at take home pay.
Now to answer your question specifically, go to the CRA website and put in the numbers, and they will give you an exact number...right from the horses mouth.
100k for an entry job in Canada . Things must be improving there

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

trey kule wrote:I think it might also depend on which province you live in as the tax rates are different. Also, in Alberta for example, there is only GST, which can make a huge difference if you are buying a car, and fixed goods when you are moving here, but they have high real estate prices. A bit more than simply looking at take home pay.
Now to answer your question specifically, go to the CRA website and put in the numbers, and they will give you an exact number...right from the horses mouth.
100k for an entry job in Canada . Things must be improving there
Alberta expensive? depending on where your looking I never really thought it was out of order like YVR.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/housing-canada/

Another Alberta advantage is no land transfer
http://www.ratehub.ca/mortgage-blog/201 ... not-exist/

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

Price of auto benzine in BBC $1.30 plus, AB $1.03 and droping

snowbear
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by snowbear »

From the new simplified tax form in Manitoba: line 1 = How much did you make. Line 2 = Submit the amount stated in line 1.

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

Alberta is an angry place.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

The Mole wrote:Alberta is an angry place.

?

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Mole. I'm sure you don't have a problem with the huge equalization payments that head east year after year.

onetreehill
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by onetreehill »

You should have seen my T4 last year.

kilpicki
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by kilpicki »

I know what you mean about AB being an angry place. when I see all those 22 yr old kids driving new Dodge Ram trucks I get angry. And don't get me started on all the 20 yr old kids driving Platinum series F150s , it makes my blood boil. But chances are none of these youngsters are earning their living flying.

Clearwater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Clearwater »

In Alberta with an annual salary of 100K and Semi Monthly pay (24 periods) your take home at todays rates would be $2844.66 per pay as calculated by CRA online calculator.

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

Fubar 2 pretty much sums up the oil culture of Alberta.....

bananaskins767
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bananaskins767 »

Thanks very much for all your responses. My question was answered thoroughly and sadly I don't think I can actually do it. With rent or mortgage and the price of fuel coming out of that I just can't see myself being able to live the sort of debauched lifestyle I've come to enjoy.

Having said that I'm still spending a lot of my life in fucked up places like Saudi so maybe I should go for one of them. My youngest is starting aviation college in Manila in June so my expenses are about to skyrocket though.....

Is there still a few bucks to be made flying contraband out of Central or South America on days off I wonder??

Skins

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

In Canada it is difficult to"get ahead" being a wage earner. Most families have to have both adults working to maintain the N.American life style. Even the old magic 100 grand a yr doesnt mean a lot anymore less you live in a small or remote less expensive part of the country. Mind there are lots of these places in Canada and beautiful they are but to earn a living there is another thing.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Most families have to have both adults working to maintain the N.American life style.
That really depends on how "N.American" you need your lifestyle to be. Most people I know this constitutes purchasing a new SUV every year (for each adult) and living in a house that's 3 bedrooms larger than they need. Absolute "musts" for said lifestyle include paying for phone bills for their children and no one can stand to have the same phone for two months in a row.

That's not to say its easy to get ahead in this country as a wage earner, but "getting ahead" deserves some definition. Lot of people just need some perspective though. Go south of the border and talk to people, or even more graphic, talk to the resort staff on your next vacation and see what "not getting by" really means.

Return to “General Comments”