xplornet

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

xplornet

Post by sheephunter »

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this satellite internet system? I was hoping to find something without a contract as I only need it about 45 days/yr. Just got off the phone with them and I'm dizzy.
---------- ADS -----------

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: xplornet

Post by Duffman »

I used to install for them before I started flying. The pricing has come way down in the last couple years. It works very well if its been installed properly but there seem to be alot of installers who are either just lazy or don't really know what they are doing. The dish is a bit of an eyesore too.

But it's still typically the best option for rural areas

skymarc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skymarc »

Very slow and expensive, it was down a lot and even slower when kids would come back after school.

your better off with wireless if you can get it.

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Bud of mine lives in the middle of nowhere & has been using xplornet for about 10 years.Had the ku band first -which wouldn't handle his voip phone so he updated to the ka band & that managed to have enough speed for the voip to work reasonably well,although there was about 30 seconds of stuttering before it came up to speed.About 3 months ago he went to their newest connection (4g I think it's called) & the phone connects instantly & works well most of the time.For my bud it was xplornet,or nothing.He has been frustrated a few times,but at least it has worked for him.He gets pissed when they throttle him back every afternoon - so he won't go over his alloted data,they won't even tell him what the max per day is because "the computer automatically takes care of it."

He's located about N 52 10 ,W 125 14 ( approximately).

If you have no other options it will work for you.

Daryl

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Was looking through some notes for my bud & you could look at the bgan terminals,but intial cost & data plans are pricy.

Here's a link to get some further information:

http://www.roadpost.ca

Daryl

Redneck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Redneck »

Changed over to Xplornet 3 months ago from Bell as we live outside of fibre optic's and the like. It is faster, cheaper, and we get ten times the data. We have had zero problems so far.... Knock on wood. The "dish" is about as big as an ipad.

Tinker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tinker »

I live in the country and we have Xplornet.
It's wonderful.
They have a new satellite, it's fast, clear, reliable and affordable.
I don't work for them, it's an honest evaluation.
Our dish is slightly larger than our TV satellite dish.

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

Return to “General Comments”