GPS for iPad

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

GPS for iPad

Post by beaverbob »

Does anybody have any recommendations for a bluetooth receiver for an iPad. I found these on eBay

Dual XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPad
Gns 5870 Mfi Gps Bluetooth Receiver For Iphone 4 4S 3Gs 3G Ipod And Ipad
Gns1000 Mfi Gps Receiver For Ipad, Iphone, Ipod
Emprum UM399 UltiMate GPS Receiver for iPod touch, iPhone,iPad & desktop/laptop

Thanks in advance for your most excellent advice. :?

Bob Bates
---------- ADS -----------

cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: GPS for iPad

Post by cap41 »

I use Ipad mini and Dual xgps. it works well with AirNav pro. iPad is wifi only so i need external antenna.

Tuk U
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuk U »

Can the bluetooth dual xgps be purchased in stores in Canada, Or is it only available online?

PAJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PAJ »

The Garmin Glo will do what you need as well. It can be a bit finicky if you don't pay attention to the lights when charging and does seem to overheat once in a while on the glare shield on super sunny days (shuts down) but overall a solid unit. Integration with ForeFlight couldn't be easier. Haven't used it with any other apps however I expect those work just as well.

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/av ... lonass.php

PAJ

Alpha Crit
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alpha Crit »

I use the Bad Elf GPS Pro with JeppFD. Works great!

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Bad Elf GPS Pro

cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cap41 »

I bought my dual xgps antenna online. Not sure if sold in retail stores.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Mapleflt wrote:At the risk of insighting a thread drift ( sorry Beaverbob) I am seeking the collective wisedom of user within this form for as much guidence as possible on the use of an ipad Mini for GA aviation application (non-tso). Any suggestions on minimum specifications, accessories, applications. What is the best, user friendly configuration that works well for the GA community.

Thanks to all in advance,

Mapleflt
No problem Mapleflt. Same information as I am looking for.

Bob

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I've been using an iPad for a while. The only differences in iPad models are the amount of memory measured in GB GigaBytes and wether it has cellular data "3G, Lte" etc.
To use weather and anew other items at low altitude you need data. That will mean paying for a plan but some are pretty affordable.

16 GB is plenty of memory for me. I have a lot of music on it but no video. My kids like to have digital copies of movies on their iPods. That take up more space, iPod touch is basically a really small ipad but the processor is better on an iPad.

I don't mind the full sized but the mini does intrigue me. If you intend on mounting it in your cockpit the mini might be the way to go.

A new iPad full size is coming out, possibly any time now. Likely after August.

I'm not much for apps for internet because I use the iPad as a second computer. When you use apps they are designed to make the site access easier for the iPad but then you go on a regular/laptop computer and the site is different.

Other apps are good or bad depending on preference. A bunch of pilots I know love forefront. Our Colonel does not.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I have a full-size ipad, but I prefer using my galaxy note phone in the plane - it's got all the apps I need, and the size is perfect. It also means I don't need to lug the ipad+gps around with me - I just need my phone. Also because it picks up the Russian GPS satellites you always get an excellent GPS fix (including accurate altitude, which can be useful).

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

You don't need extra GPS for the iPad but the external units with blue tooth improve it a lot, most noticeably eliminating the lag pauses from motion. They are small enough to fit in the back pocket of a pair of pants and sit on the dash picking up the best signals. I bet if you tried one you would notice the improvement on your galaxy phone.

Excellent point though, some guys like a phone just fine. The bonus being the whole thing in your pocket + it's a phone, you probably need to carry one of those.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

You do need an external gps if your ipad doesn't have 3g (as I discovered when I took mine in the plane and wondered why it was still showing my departure airport after I had landed). Duh :)

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I would not use the GPS chip in the iPad for aircraft navigation. I would use one of the external Bluetooth units. But yes you could use it, or a galaxy phone, galaxy tablet etc. the iPad GPS is not terrible but can lag in a car, won't be better in a plane I suspect.

If you want to save the cost of a the external GPS, around $100 well worth it in my opinion and trust me I am a "thrifty person" to be polite. You will need one with the chip in it, the current wifi units do not have it.

mmw327
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mmw327 »

Are there any good apps to use for vrf navigation? Basically just to have a moving map for reference in remote areas of Canada? I'm having trouble finding a digital version of vnc's

dahspeers
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dahspeers »

Foreflight id a great app. They're just taking their sweet time releasing the Canadian VFR stuff. All our IFR is available, the only VNC's available on it are Toronto, Montreal, and out to the coast. Anything north of Wawa, ON isn't covered, nor is anything west of Lake Superior

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

mmw327 wrote:Are there any good apps to use for vrf navigation? Basically just to have a moving map for reference in remote areas of Canada? I'm having trouble finding a digital version of vnc's
Air Navigation Pro. It doesn't have the VNCs, but it has open source maps (similar to google maps) with all the controlled airspace, airports and navaids.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I use the ipad (3g) with foreflight here on the coast and have yet to have ANY issues with satellite signal. Works quite well, but because of the lack of VNC charts on foreflight, I've had to add in all of my own places and insert all of the transits and waypoints. Its also a bit big and I'm thinking of an ipad mini and some type of temporary yoke mount.. as it does certainly take up a sizeable chunk of the windshield otherwise ;)

mmw327
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mmw327 »

Thanks for the great replies. Fltplan.com has a great app with free IFR approach charts and all sorts of useful info I use it all the time. I just wish it had PDF VNC's as well.

Return to “General Comments”