Take a seat... music running out...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Take a seat... music running out...

Post by altiplano »

Good luck everyone, I hope you're somewhere you like! Should see it scale back in a hurry.
---------- ADS -----------

Meecka
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Take a seat... music running out...

Post by Meecka »

Wuh?? :rolleyes:

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

altiplano wrote:Good luck everyone, I hope you're somewhere you like! Should see it scale back in a hurry.
Care to elaborate?

goingmach_1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by goingmach_1 »

Either DAF, or a certifiably nut bar.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

goingmach_1 wrote:Either DAF, or a certifiably nut bar.
Yeah yeah... certifiable. Kicking around this spot too many years.

Airline hiring is going to stagnate in a hurry. As AC puts on the brakes from the +/- 200 hires a year we've seen over the past few years the vacuum from the lower levels will stop. Get a spot - may not be much movement for a while...

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

Westjet, encore, air canada, jazz, sunwing, porter and air north are hiring. Not sure what your point is?

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

.....I never even heard the music start. Must be going deaf in my old age.

Sun85
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sun85 »

Speaking of the music either starting or running out, those of you who are in the know, are the Canadian airlines facing massive baby boomer pilot retirements in the foreseeable future?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

mcrit wrote:.....I never even heard the music start. Must be going deaf in my old age.

SgtStroka
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SgtStroka »

I believe he is referring to a certain email he received today. Fear not Alti! Were in the same boat!

But to add to that I am very happy where I currently am.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

whipline wrote:Westjet, encore, air canada, jazz, sunwing, porter and air north are hiring. Not sure what your point is?
westjet hires what? 20 or 30 a year? very few retirements, and aren't they delaying new fins/returning leases? no new mainline growth...
encore... sure the initial hiring into a low pay job with stagnant advancement due to above...
AC - not now. summer courses cancelled. that was about 200 jobs a year.
jazz - have been hiring due to a stream to AC mainline which is stopping - watch the reductions come as there cpa is scaled back.
sunwing - you don't really think they are hiring do you? job ads to satisfy the loopholes they drive through...
porter/air north - hiring due to attrition to AC/WS... watch it slow down big time.

I hope I'm wrong - but I don't think so...

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

altiplano wrote:
whipline wrote:Westjet, encore, air canada, jazz, sunwing, porter and air north are hiring. Not sure what your point is?
westjet hires what? 20 or 30 a year? very few retirements, and aren't they delaying new fins/returning leases? no new mainline growth...
encore... sure the initial hiring into a low pay job with stagnant advancement due to above...
AC - not now. summer courses cancelled. that was about 200 jobs a year.
jazz - have been hiring due to a stream to AC mainline which is stopping - watch the reductions come as there cpa is scaled back.
sunwing - you don't really think they are hiring do you? job ads to satisfy the loopholes they drive through...
porter/air north - hiring due to attrition to AC/WS... watch it slow down big time.

I hope I'm wrong - but I don't think so...
Not sure the music is really stopping because AC is slowing its hiring a bit. They may be just waiting till the next bid comes out.

As for WJ, they're hiring 80+ for Encore and another 80 for WJ. Not really small numbers to slow things down. 10 700s have been sold and will start leaving late next year, these are being replaced 1 for 1 by 800s. According to the delivery plan on their website there are 2 more deliveries this year, 8 in 2014, 10 in 2015, 11 in 2016. Each year showing a net increase of aircraft, and none of this includes Q400 deliveries.

I do like how you started this thread stating facts but then asked questions in you last post.....

"and aren't they delaying new fins/returning leases? no new mainline growth..."

How about research first? Just saying.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

" just saying" what is that supposed to mean? Research what? I'm just saying too... That 200+ top level job openings a year are vanishing for the immediate future.... If that isn't the music slowing than what is?

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

altiplano wrote:That 200+ top level job openings a year are vanishing for the immediate future.... If that isn't the music slowing than what is?
I'm asking for some clarification on this issue;
altiplano wrote:AC - not now. summer courses cancelled. that was about 200 jobs a year.
Presuming summer is 12/4 = 3 months... and 200/3 = 66 1/3 per month.... You are saying Air Canada was hiring 66 guys a month for the summer? Is that correct?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I think 200 per year is pretty self explanatory... that's roughly the hiring pace we have seen to this point in AC's current hiring phase. I doubt you will see that pace return for a while - If we see courses start again in the fall I'd guess fewer people and/or not monthly.

Between AC/WS it will be a trickle of up-movements... I don't count expansion at regionals like encore/sky/porter for much because the wawcon suck so it's hardly music... but maybe that's just me...

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

altiplano wrote:I think 200 per year is pretty self explanatory... .
Nope. Not when you say this,
altiplano wrote:AC - not now. summer courses cancelled. that was about 200 jobs a year.
So, what you are really talking about is 50 less new hires, not 200. Hiring has been at very high levels for a while now, and perhaps it is slowing down, domestically... but I think that you may be pushing the panic button a little early.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Mach1 wrote:Presuming summer is 12/4 = 3 months... and 200/3 = 66 1/3 per month.... You are saying Air Canada was hiring 66 guys a month for the summer? Is that correct?
Uhh...That's some bad math. 200/12=16.7. 16.7*3=50. Assuming an equal number of pilots are hired each month of the year, that's roughly 17 per month, which would equal 50 over the three months of the summer.

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

altiplano wrote:" just saying" what is that supposed to mean? Research what? I'm just saying too... That 200+ top level job openings a year are vanishing for the immediate future.... If that isn't the music slowing than what is?
Thought it was pretty clear what I was saying. You stated WJ hires 20 to 30 a year and is returning leases and deferring deliveries. Not quite correct as I pointed out!

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Diadem wrote:Uhh...That's some bad math. 200/12=16.7. 16.7*3=50. Assuming an equal number of pilots are hired each month of the year, that's roughly 17 per month, which would equal 50 over the three months of the summer.
Uhh... that's pretty bad reading skills you have there. He clearly stated that the summer courses were cancelled, equalling 200 jobs. Here, I'll quote it a third time.
He has clarified that statement here,
altiplano wrote:I think 200 per year is pretty self explanatory...
To which I said,
Mach1 wrote:So, what you are really talking about is 50 less new hires, not 200.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Fracking nitpicking - Jeebus!? You guys can add up whatever semantics you like.

I think I clarified that the rate of hiring is canning to the tune of potentially a couple hundred jobs per/year. Hiring has been at high levels for a few years but we aren't just talking about a few xld courses. May course was four people... 4 from 20+ a month. Doubt we will see the 2-0+ a month just start back up in fall. Smaller/fewer...

My intention was to inform guys who may be teetering on edge over making a move out of Fort Nowhere or sticking in a crummy spot for another season that decision making time may be here - that next groundschool at the next job may be a while longer than what you've been seeing the past few years. I remember when I turned down a 705 opportunity years ago to watch things grind to a halt and spend years sticking it out in a less than fortunate spot - kinda sucks...

Carry on...

Return to “General Comments”