SHL exams

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Zatopec
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

SHL exams

Post by Zatopec »

I will soon attend the first exams required for the air traffic control hiring process, given by SHL in Montreal this April.

Any tips on how to get ready for them? For those who have attended the exams recently, how did you get ready? All advices are welcome.

Thanks,

Zatopec
---------- ADS -----------

Zatopec
_______

He who has his ear to the ground has his ass exposed
172pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

exams

Post by 172pilot »

I wrote the exam last year year and did quite well. I studied the sample online exam and just went through it many times. Pay attention to the spatial abilities portion because the real exam is a little more difficult I found.

FA28 guy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FA28 guy »

Tries to PM you but couldn't get it to work. I used to be an IFR ceter controller. If you want to e-mail me from this system maybe I can help. The previous post is accurate though. I'll arrange some tours of a few places in the YYZ area or tell you how to do it in your area.

Zatopec
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Zatopec »

FA28, I sent you a pm. Looks like it worked no problem.

Thanks

Zatopec
_______

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

shl exams

Post by Cap'n P8 »

Just did them last month, I was pretty successful too, but they were a little harder than i thought.

Here's what I remember.

For the cubes...they don't just show you cubes opened up in a cross like they do in the example. They are opened up in many different ways.

For the test with the symbols...don't bother remembering the symbols you see on the example they are not the same, also there are ten rather than just four, including the last three which completely change the order of everything you just did.

The math is exactly the same as far as i could tell, key word guestimate...quickly, there will be no close answers, just the right one

Matching the numbers is pretty easy, it's done in three groups of twenty...first twenty are numbers only, second twenty are letters only and last twenty are numbers and letters...it is done with a tape recorder, no stopping except for a short period between groups of twenty if you miss one skip it and go to the next or you will fall behind.

The reading comprehension test was also straight forward.

Then the questionaire, basically the same five questions asked repeatedly in slightly different manners.

Overall, every test gets harder the further in you go. Not many people finish the tests, unless you're rain man or something :D Don't worry about it they are designed that way.

I didn't use a stopwatch, (I don't own one,) but it is recommended. You are not docked marks for wrong answers, so if you are really intent on filling in every answer, then set it one minute early and burn rubber down the page.

PM me if you want more info on the exams or the interview

chewsta
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chewsta »

I don't know if you've checked out this site:

http://www.local5454.com/community/boards/#

Zatopec
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Zatopec »

Excellent! Thank you all for the informations!

Zatopec

Zatopec
_______

Return to “General Comments”