Avcanada Posting Etiquette and Consequences

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Avcanada Posting Etiquette and Consequences

Post by sky's the limit »

Here's the deal for posting on Avcanada:

The Mods have discussed the general direction things are taking here on Avcanada and have come up with some conditions that are completely non-negotiable regardless of post count, length of membership, or knowledge and experience. This is how it will be going forward:

- Threads that descend into wanton name calling and slagging will be a one strike and out situation - anyone starts that garbage again and it's gone for good, a policy that will be applied to all threads from here out. If the Usership wants to discuss topics (Some of which can be contentious and emotional) then it is up to you, the posters, to show you can actually share some of the excellent information and experience on display here in an adult manner. If not, the thread goes away.

- Posters engaging in personal attacks, name calling, petty shots, or any other infringement of the rules set out by Avcanada are also on a one strike and out deal. Enough is enough, and to that end it does not matter any longer what status a person may or may not enjoy here - either share knowledge appropriately or a long vacation will be given while we decide on whether or not it will be permanent. The unofficial "Three Strike Policy" has unfortunately been proven inadequate to get the point across.

- I have received many PM's and emails from posters who wish this forum to be a place where the type of information shared in many threads is accessible and free flowing on a wide variety of subjects, but only if the BS stops. I can assume most of us would also like that to be the case. If anyone has an issue with a thread or another poster, use the red "!" button to report the post, or PM a Mod with said issue. It will be addressed as soon as we are able.

- To that end, ignorant posts/threads directed at the Mods or the site will be removed immediately and the poster will be given a break at the very least. Non-negotiable. Again, if you have a question, be an adult about it and send a Mod or Joe a PM with a query, I can guarantee you it will be met with more success than the usual childish "Where did the biased/evil/politically motivated/mean Mods put my thread?" posts meet. Try it, see what happens. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

- THINK before you press the "Submit" button, if you don't think your post will contribute to the site, then don't submit it. If you want to go at each other, send a PM and do it in private at the very worst. Public feuding will not be tolerated. We ALL get sucked into internet crap from time to time as it is a flaw of the medium, but it is up to all of us to make the site we wish to participate in.

So there you have it. All I can say is I hope some of the positive and informative posting continues in a mature fashion as I for one find the information contained in many such threads fascinating.

As has been said many times in the past, you get the site you deserve, and if you wish for a constructive Avcanada then be a part of the solution. Otherwise, you will not be welcome here.

stl
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Avcanada Posting Etiquette and Consequences

Post by PilotDAR »

Perfect, Thank you!

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

PilotDAR wrote:Perfect, Thank you!
+ 1

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

+2

Hopefully this will prompt new members/low time pilots to post questions or share experiences, without fear of ridicule or sarcastic, unhelpful replies.

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

It might be reasonable to add thread drift. Rouge roster thread as an example. 90% of that thread has nothing to do with the original question. Would love to see off thread hi-jacking be put under control.

BTW... I think your new way of going forward will make a marked improvement to the forum.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

This board lost a lot when the equivalent of PPRuNe Jet Blast was shut down. (I forget what the forum was called, Propwash or something.) When there is nowhere else to vent, subjects that have little or nothing to do with the subject at hand will pop up in any thread. Good luck with the new rules.

reality check
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by reality check »

Siddley Hawker wrote:This board lost a lot when the equivalent of PPRuNe Jet Blast was shut down. (I forget what the forum was called, Propwash or something.) When there is nowhere else to vent, subjects that have little or nothing to do with the subject at hand will pop up in any thread. Good luck with the new rules.

Couldn't disagree more. Much improved since the Misc, Watercooler or whatever was closed down.

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

A long overdue action!

I look forward to not having to skip past all the garbage

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

CFR wrote:+2

Hopefully this will prompt new members/low time pilots to post questions or share experiences, without fear of ridicule or sarcastic, unhelpful replies.
Agree. Low timers need mentoring, and then can mentor others following behind, like newbie PPL's and students. Personally, thank you to those who have posted mentoring type comments to my questions, I have learned from those.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I hope it works! One of the main reasons I dont contribute much these days..

Sleeve of Wizard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sleeve of Wizard »

Rookie50 wrote:

Agree. Low timers need mentoring, and then can mentor others following behind, like newbie PPL's and students. Personally, thank you to those who have posted mentoring type comments to my questions, I have learned from those.
Yes, and let's ban the phrase "don't you know how to use the 'search/ function?"

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Sleeve of Wizard wrote:Yes, and let's ban the phrase "don't you know how to use the 'search/ function?"
Definitely agree with that! First of all the 'Search' button is woefully inconspicuous and people new to the forum may not see it at first. It's the new people that we must be the most patient with.

As for STL's initial post I really hope this changes things around here. There is so much potential in these threads and when you consider the varied experience and knowledge of all the posters here it kills me to see so many threads devolve into childish name calling.

I sincerely look forward to the mods taking a hardline stance on these issues.

Cheers,
Chax

182-SS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 182-SS »

Sleeve of Wizard wrote:
Rookie50 wrote:

Yes, and let's ban the phrase "don't you know how to use the 'search/ function?"

Really happy to see this come down the pipe.
I’ve actually directed people to go to CPA forums (Cessna Pilots association) for a non ridiculing response from people with vast knowledge. But that only helps certain people.
Looking forward to the friendlier environment here……even if it isn’t as entertaining lol

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

I might try to help the younger ones if this is going to last.
I was tired of being told how wrong I am by a few 200 hour wonders. :rolleyes:

Bob

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I think the C 172 W & B thread is a perfect example of Avcanada at its best. A guy asks a question and a bunch of guys, give detailed, helpfull posts that not only answers the direct question but explains the principals as well, and with no sarcasm, put downs of preening.

I sure hope this is a sign of things to come

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I was the proverbial airport kid, from about 11. There were two little airports I could bike to, and I was there whenever I could. I learned so much by the grace and tolerance of the pilots and maintainers there.

I have that, and so much more knowledge offered so generously over the decades. That knowledge is not mine to hoard, it is on loan - I owe it back. Those who gave it cannot use it, but I read others here who might.

I don't hang around the flying club any more, I just cannot commit my time to that. Both planes live at home with me, so I'm only ever at an airport for enroute fuel, or business - not sitting around on rainy days. So, I fail to make myself personally available to mentor. I try to make that up here. I also did on PPRuNe for some time, but that seem to degenerate into endless, pointless willy waving, and really lost its charm - why bother! I don't need to compete to try to give back to the industry of my passion!

Happily, as PPRuNe somewhat imploded, another delightful group flowed out, and they are the model of mentoring and courtesy - a number of us had a great afternoon lunch in Germany in late June. I true pleasure.

I would like to treat and be treated here, as though I were talking face to face, not getting the finger out the window of a fleeing car. Those who care about the aviation industry, should be making an effort to attract and mentor newcomers, not repel them with vile!

So, this pansy will, with pride walk the talk (well, write), and I look forward to meeting many of you in person, and flying together, whatever floral species you are! - I still have a lot to learn too!

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Well....this 500 hr wonder -- actually I'm no wonder -- appreciates the mentorship of the multi thousand hour guys out there. Really I do, especially when I'm not demeaned for simply not knowing. I love learning from the experience of others. It already has made me a better pilot than I would have been at my totals. So -- for those constructive -- please keep contributing -- you are needed.
Robert

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

To be honest, I wanted to wait and see which direction this thread would take once I saw the 2 posts that were removed. I am pleased to see the vast majority on here want to be treated with respect and are no longer willing to be bullied or talked down to.

I am one of the originals around here. I joined AvCanada in 2001 as a means of advertising flying positions for our company. I started to check the forums from time and time and 12 years later, I am still posting. I try very hard to never get personal, but am guilty of it a time or two myself. I will make a conscious effort to ensure I refrain from any "personal attacks" in the future. Besides, I do my best to provide answers and information...and don't enjoy arguing on the internet with someone I don't know.

Its very good to see the positive tone from many of the posters and the direction they want to see this forum take. I sincerely hope we can all really try to make these new rules work. We can debate without degrading.

Good post STL...I`ll give it my best effort.

PS...One of my favorite things to do is to mentor young pilots. Even in flight school, I was the oldest guy attending so the younger guys just tended to come to me with questions etc. I have been very fortunate in my career thus far and continue to enjoy being involved in aviation on a daily basis. I`m always open to questions and will always answer my PMs. If everyone does what PilotDAR suggested and just share what we have learned along the way...it will make this forum informative and maybe even fun!

MacStork
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MacStork »

Well said! I know it was a tough call ..... but it was one that was needed to be made! I will support your decision, as I am sure the majority of others will also.
Onwards and upwards .....
JIMBO

Boratt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Boratt »

Chaxterium wrote:
Sleeve of Wizard wrote:Yes, and let's ban the phrase "don't you know how to use the 'search/ function?"
Definitely agree with that! First of all the 'Search' button is woefully inconspicuous and people new to the forum may not see it at first. It's the new people that we must be the most patient with.

As for STL's initial post I really hope this changes things around here. There is so much potential in these threads and when you consider the varied experience and knowledge of all the posters here it kills me to see so many threads devolve into childish name calling.

I sincerely look forward to the mods taking a hardline stance on these issues.

Cheers,
Chax

+1 !!

Return to “General Comments”