Successful Career Changers?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JungianJugular
Rank 4
Rank 4

Successful Career Changers?

Post by JungianJugular »

Hey gang,

30/m and newly married here. Pursing a CPL currently. If you've successfully changed careers I'd welcome an opportunity to speak with you!

Cheers,

- JJ
---------- ADS -----------

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Successful Career Changers?

Post by slowstream »

That somewhat depends on your definition of success.

JungianJugular
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JungianJugular »

Start to a decent paying flying job. As long as I'm flying & making a decent living from it after putting in my time, I'll be happy.

frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by frozen solid »

Go for it if you want and your wife understands what's involved. If you play your cards right there's plenty of time for you to begin a rewarding career; but you don't have time to procrastinate like you would if you were 21.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

newly married
Willing to give that up? 99.999% probability that
it will be a casuality.

JungianJugular
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JungianJugular »

Colonel Sanders wrote:
newly married
Willing to give that up? 99.999% probability that
it will be a casuality.
With that attitude, anything in life is a casualty! :lol:

Canadian Skyhawk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canadian Skyhawk »

JJ,

Go for it! You'll need three things:

1. Cash: You will be living on minimum wage salaries possibly in some godforsaken places for your first (and possibly second or more) job - plus supporting a family, in your case. Depending on how you manage your career and the industry progresses, you will move up, eventually. In the meantime, don't count on your pilot wages.

2. A VERY understanding partner: Most pilots' first marriage is of the "starter" variety, whereby they keep apologizing and making promises over prolonged absences, always being late, missing birthdays and holidays, etc. After the first divorce, most pilots are smart enough to clearly explain to any prospective partner that they will have prolonged absences, always be late, miss birthdays and holidays, etc. If she doesn't run away at this point, explain that you will also be leaving for Mexico and the Caribbean on overnights with a bunch of hot stews on a weekly basis. If she still doesn't run away, you may then and only then consider her for the second marriage.

3. Perseverance: Your commitment to a piloting career will be tested ad infinitum in the first few years by an endless list of trials, including (but by no means limited to) ridiculous training bonds, idiot airline operators, unsafe aircraft deemed "safe to fly", crew houses unfit for human habitation, postings in places like Fond-du-Baril, having to perform "pilot related tasks" - which means just about anything to the unscrupulous Director of Ops, etc. Most CPLs eventually end up in non-flying careers.

I started at 46, so you are a few years ahead of me. I left a high paying corporate career to pursue my dream. Four years later, I am currently an FO on a King Air at a small decent 703 operation. I should make captain soon. I have paid my dues and wouldn't trade it for anything. Don't be like Cal Worthington, the California car dealer who recently passed away at 92, having amassed a fortune estimated at $300 million. A couple of years before his death, he stated: "I never much liked the car business. I just kind of got trapped in it.......I just wanted to fly." Don't get trapped in what you're doing. Pursue the dream.

Safe flying!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

having amassed a fortune estimated at $300 million.
Bummer.

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

JungianJugular wrote:Hey gang,

30/m and newly married here. Pursing a CPL currently. If you've successfully changed careers I'd welcome an opportunity to speak with you!

Cheers,

- JJ
Go for it if you love it. Got my commercial done at 31, started flying for first company at 33, 6 and a half years later still with the first company and going Dash 8 Captain with 3200 hrs. Oh and newly wed at the time to!

JMACK
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JMACK »

If you are hooked nothing else will do! GO FOR IT!

But as sky hawk mentioned above.

3. Perseverance: Your commitment to a piloting career will be tested ad infinitum in the first few years by an endless list of trials.

It may last longer than a few years...............but if you are hooked don't even try and fight it.

If walking away is easy it is definitely the thing to do.

Otherwise jump in with all the passion you got!

J

x15
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by x15 »

Check your PM

ba31pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ba31pilot »

Jungian, first of all, good for you. I did the same thing myself at 30. The other posts about an understanding wife are VERY true. We set a monthly budget for flight training and within 2.5 years, I was flight instructing part time while working my regular job full time to work my way in to the industry.

It can certainly be done. I have what I would consider a successful career flying corporate aircraft now. If you'd like any info or need to bounce an idea around, PM me.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Age is no barrier unless you make it so. Age can be overcome by never stopping your dream, along with hard work and persistance.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

How disappointing, I was hoping this was a thread of ideas on how to change FROM a flying career to something better...

Belomor123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Belomor123 »

Go for it. Other posts are correct about low pay at first and requirement of an understanding partner.
If you dont feel like getting stationed for ages in the middle of nowhere consider getting instructor rating after CPL. That way your initial job will have crap pay but youll be close to home.

boogs82
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by boogs82 »

ba31pilot wrote:Jungian, first of all, good for you. I did the same thing myself at 30. The other posts about an understanding wife are VERY true. We set a monthly budget for flight training and within 2.5 years, I was flight instructing part time while working my regular job full time to work my way in to the industry.

It can certainly be done. I have what I would consider a successful career flying corporate aircraft now. If you'd like any info or need to bounce an idea around, PM me.
How difficult was it to find a part time instructing job while you were working a full time job? I wouldn't have imagined that any CFI would want to deal with that.

flap10
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flap10 »

Started my first flying job at 35. The pay was poor at first, but my wife is a very understanding woman who supported me all the way. My two kids were 13 and 7 at the time. Never had any regrets. I'm 50 now and still married to the same woman. Best of luck.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

I started flying for a living as a 30 year old married man. It has its ups and downs. Instructing was good purely because I came home every night. When I started flying charter and now regionals, there's been more time apart. Relationships tend to hang on the threads of days off, pass travel, and jumpseating.
Most people in their 30's begin to want a feeling of dignity to be treated with a fair amount of respect. Taking your first couple of jobs will be certainly frustrating as you will be treated as a 22 year old with no commitments and nothing to lose. This is by far the biggest challenge I have had to cope with in instructing and starting my first charter job up north. If you can keep it all together for a few years, you should be able to break out of the "beginner's muck" and succeed! Good luck!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

ReserveTank wrote:It has its ups and downs.
They are called take-offs and landings :smt040

(sorry :mrgreen: )

skat0r
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skat0r »

complexintentions wrote:How disappointing, I was hoping this was a thread of ideas on how to change FROM a flying career to something better...
No one if forcing you to work as a pilot, change your job already and stop complaining.

Return to “General Comments”