Medical expiry, time?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Medical expiry, time?

Post by CanadianEh »

If my Category 1 medical was done last September, then it expires on Oct 1st of this year.

Does it expire at midnight Oct 1st or could one legally fly the whole day until 11:59pm on the 1st before it is technically invalid?

...As you've probably guessed, I'm trying to squeeze the extra month for my next medical.
---------- ADS -----------

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Medical expiry, time?

Post by Taiser »

If October first is the day it expires, that means at the end of that day, at least as far as any other contract/license goes legally that is. So the second it turns October 2nd your license is officially Kaput!

Why would you need to wait until the last second for this? If you get your medical sometime in Sept, the Doc will stamp it as being good until you get the new medical in the mail... ? :smt108

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Taiser, I think you are slightly wrong. The medical validation says "Valid to" which means that at 11:59 on the last day of September you are still valid but at the stroke of midnight, you become a pumpkin. Goes for all other ratings, like IFR, PPC, etc.
Now, if you wait till Oct 01, do not fly and then do your medical, you can gain an extra month, but you may loose a days pay. An employer does not have to pay you if you are not qualified to be employed in the position you hold.

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

Well you could always schedule a "sick" day or something for October 1 to get past that hurdle I guess. I'll double check on that wording with a buddy in the know... now I'm curious! :smt017

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

oldtimer wrote:Taiser, I think you are slightly wrong. The medical validation says "Valid to" which means that at 11:59 on the last day of September you are still valid but at the stroke of midnight, you become a pumpkin. Goes for all other ratings, like IFR, PPC, etc.
Now, if you wait till Oct 01, do not fly and then do your medical, you can gain an extra month, but you may loose a days pay. An employer does not have to pay you if you are not qualified to be employed in the position you hold.
I think you're probably right oldtimer, but the wording of the regs leave it open for interpretation.

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

I think a quick check with the legal beagles in Ottawa (just like doing a quick gear swing!) will reveal that it means Valid to the end of the 1st day of October. Very few pilots interpret it that way though.

Sw

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

switchflicker wrote:I think a quick check with the legal beagles in Ottawa (just like doing a quick gear swing!) will reveal that it means Valid to the end of the 1st day of October. Very few pilots interpret it that way though.

Sw

That's the way MOST expiry dates work, again however with TC being TC who knows how those guys interpret this!

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Mmmmm. Book of sick and then go do an aviation medical. Interesting concept.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

I'm not sure I get the point of this though guys. Why is trying to squeeze that extra month so important? Does your company not cover the costs of your medical? Besides, TC gives you a window wherein you can renew your medical up to 90 days early yet still keep the same expiry date. So as an example if your medical is due 01 Oct 2013 then you could renew it as early as 03 Jul 2013 and your new expiry date would still be 01 Oct 2014.

Cheers,
Chax

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

My company doesnt pay for my medical, otherwise I wouldn't care.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Bummer!

Conquest Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Conquest Driver »

It doesn't say "up to and including Nov. 1st". It says "to Nov 1st." So Nov. 1st at 0000 you're toast. Now if you have a day off on Nov 1st, have at it. But you can't slip that last day in if you have to fly it.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

The regulations are very clear on this matter. You medical expires at midnight at the end of the last day of the month in which you had your medical. Never any other day of the month. Always the last day. Always midnight. You know, just past 2359
Bob

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

beaverbob wrote:The regulations are very clear on this matter. You medical expires at midnight at the end of the last day of the month in which you had your medical. Never any other day of the month. Always the last day. Always midnight. You know, just past 2359
Bob
ZULU or local time?

Glenn

BobBates
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BobBates »

ZULU or local time?

Glenn[/quote]

Does that really require an answer?

Bob :rolleyes:

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

The time zone is about a 30 minute drive from my house! So if my medical expires here at midnight and I tow my plane out past the time zone can I fly it for another half hour??? :twisted:

Return to “General Comments”