Living with diabetes and anxiety.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Living with diabetes and anxiety.

Post by hazatude »

Hello all.

I have been out of the industry for quite a while now and miss aviation a lot.

I require a Dexcom G4 Platinum Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CGMS) in order to life a full, productive and healthy life.
http://www.dexcom.com/

A CGMS is not covered by the Canadian Government and the cost breakdown is as follows:
The stand alone unit will cost $1840.00 and comes with 4 sensors. A box of 4 sensors will cost $340.00. The sensors last approximately 7 days a piece.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 autoimmune diabetes with adult onset when I was 38 (I am 43 now). It is very unpredictable with me.
I also suffer from severe anxiety disorder and currently test my blood sugar around 20 times per day.
It is almost impossible for me to differentiate a panic attack from a low or high blood sugar. This would be a very dangerous thing to ignore, thus the CGMS would set me free by letting me know what my blood sugar is every 5 minutes.

In addition to the CGMS, the costs of my diabetes supplies, while partially funded by the government, are overwhelming.

I am hoping to be able to live my life again.
Thank You,
Greg (hazatude) Haza

I have set up a crowdfunding effort in order to help me through these challenging times.

http://www.gofundme.com/4w18x4
---------- ADS -----------

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Living with diabetes and anxiety.

Post by Sulako »

Moved to General Comments because it has more traffic.

Masters Off
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Masters Off »

Greg Haza's a fantastic guy. He's taught me a lot I know of the industry when I was younger and helped me with my first job at Peninsulair a few years back. He's put his heart into his job for many years, providing a fantastic service to the commercial and private aviation types alike. In fact, I'd venture to guess that he's assisted in getting the aircraft off the ground that many of you first learned on. If anyone I know deserves our support and honest care, it's this guy. I hope you'll all pitch in to help in this tough time, like he's helped us before for many hours and long days.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Thank you for the kind words, Masters. People are the most important thing in aviation. I've always tried to keep that in mind.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

hazatude wrote:It is almost impossible for me to differentiate a panic attack from a low or high blood sugar.
Yes, this must be the hardest to understand ... esp for non or newly-discovered diabectic sufferers. Don't have it yet (as far as i know) but it exists on both sides of the family and though I'd gained some knowledge of it when my Grandmother had it all those years ... was surprised how important the monitoring actually is.

A friend, while showing me the pin prick test he does regularly ... checked mine for me a while back in midweek about mid-afternoon. It was at 3.9 ....great i thought ; ... turns out it all depends how it behaves through-out the day. At the doctors over the last few years had a blood test twice (after fasting) and each time was between 5 and 6. Then the dietician (same office) informs me ..." if triglicerides are up consistently that it could be disguising your diagnosis" ... wow

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Good luck was happy to help.

There's so many people gaming the system but when someone really needs something and the govt won't help (it's our tax money!)...

Maybe write your MPP.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

I've started, through social media, to get people on board for government funding. Thank you for your help.

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Well keep bumping this each month. Surely there are 50-60 people in this community who can give a few bucks each month. For the cost of a couple of double doubles and a donut. Or a pint of beer.

Seriously. Stop giving so much money to billionaires like Ron Joyce or the Molsons or the Labatt families. Don't they have enough or it?? Do something a little better.

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Dash-Ate wrote:Good luck was happy to help.

There's so many people gaming the system but when someone really needs something and the govt won't help (it's our tax money!)...

Maybe write your MPP.
Someone is doing it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... 99?cmp=rss

A P.E.I. woman has gathered 1,600 names on a petition asking the province to pay for insulin pumps.

P.E.I. is the only province that does not have a publicly funded insulin pump program.

Kathleen Romans started the petition in the spring and plans to present it to government during the fall sitting of the legislature.

Romans has been a Type 1 diabetic for 20 years.

She can't afford an insulin pump.

They cost about $7,000, plus $300 a month for supplies

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Here's the email I got back from ADP:
Ooops - Can't post private government emails :oops:

Return to “General Comments”