30 to late for an attempt career as a pilot for the air forc

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

30 to late for an attempt career as a pilot for the air forc

Post by Highflyinpilot »

Sorry my title reads as if it was written by a 3 year old, but there is only so much character space,

Anyways, about to turn 30 and looking at a career change, is it at all possible and feasible to try my luck and attempt a career as a pilot in the airforce??

Any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

No but you better get to work. There's going to be lot's of of youngsters in your way. Do you have a degree? Flight time?

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: 30 to late for an attempt career as a pilot for the air

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Met a guy at the Abbotsford Airshow a couple years ago who is on the CT-142. He was in his 40's and left a career as a teacher for a career flying in the military. He absolutely loved his job in the military and said he would make the switch again. So yes, you sure can at 30. Some things to note however, they require a commitment in the neighborhood of 8 years, regardless of whether you get in and decide one day its not for you. If you aspire to eventually migrate to the airlines, it may be tougher than you think. They don't fly nearly as many hours in a year as 703/704 pilot and after 8 years you may find yourself still below the required flight times for the major airlines. Might be a tough transition from being a higher ranking air force pilot to being an FO on a B1900. Not quite the F104 to 747 captain transition of yesteryear. If full career is your thing, or you can stomach the potential switch from C-17 Captain to a Beech Boy then it may be your thing! The military career is still something I was very close to pursuing and still ponder from time to time!

Good luck!

PR

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Highflyinpilot »

Hey, thanks for the reply,

I got my CPL, no degree but am a graduate of confederation college, although not sure if that would help at all.

Any thoughts?

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Highflyinpilot »

[quote="PositiveRate27"]Met a guy at the Abbotsford Airshow a couple years ago who is on the CT-142. He was in his 40's and left a career as a teacher for a career flying in the military. He absolutely loved his job in the military and said he would make the switch again. So yes, you sure can at 30. Some things to note however, they require a commitment in the neighborhood of 8 years, regardless of whether you get in and decide one day its not for you. If you aspire to eventually migrate to the airlines, it may be tougher than you think. They don't fly nearly as many hours in a year as 703/704 pilot and after 8 years you may find yourself still below the required flight times for the major airlines. Might be a tough transition from being a higher ranking air force pilot to being an FO on a B1900. Not quite the F104 to 747 captain transition of yesteryear. If full career is your thing, or you can stomach the potential switch from C-17 Captain to a Beech Boy then it may be your thing! The military career is still something I was very close to pursuing and still ponder from time to time!

Good luck!

PR[/quote]

thanks for the reply PR. I would be leaving a career as a millwright to pursue this if I so decided to attempt this. After 10 years of millwrighting I'm feeling extremely bored and need something more.

Thansks

LuckyPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LuckyPilot »

Confederation College grad or any aviation college grad gives you the post secondary requirement for the mil. The mil isn't what it use to be, be prepared to do more then just be a pilot, the few friends I have left in the service are nearing retirement and for the most part loved it. But to a man, if they had joined today's RCAF, they wouldn't make a career of it. Min time and out, so go into this with eyes wide open. Odds are good you will find yourself flying Helo's, not my idea.of a good time.

careerpilot?
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by careerpilot? »

I trained with lots of guys who were over 30, so I wouldn't worry too much about the age. The only factor there is if you haven't maintained a fit lifestyle (I don't know if you have or not, of course - but I feel I should bring it up) there are obviously fitness requirements in the CF. The generic fitness test is quite easy, but the basic training course in St Jean will require you have a fitness level somewhat higher than the minimum if you want to be successful - and you'll be expected to keep up with the 18 year olds. Of course, its been 12 years since I went through St Jean, so things may have changed somewhat... And I'm 30 and can still (mostly) keep up with them, so I'm sure you'd be fine. 30 isn't that old! :wink:

As for Confederation college, I won't venture to say if it qualifies or not. This is something to speak to a recruiter about, they will know for sure. Recruiters get a bad rap, but they are still your best source of information regarding entrance requirements and the like. As for information on what the life is like, the training, etc - talk to those who have been there and done it. Recruiters will give you the party line, of course :wink:

One other thing you should consider: Joining the CF as a Pilot means you will also be an officer. This means you need to be prepared to exhibit leadership inside the cockpit (as any Pilot should) but also outside. You will be responsible for the welfare of your crew and subordinates at all times and they will look to you for professionalism and leadership. I believe the same is true in the Civilian world, but the CF places a very strong emphasis on this. You will, of course, learn and be tested on leadership throughout your officer training. This plays into what another poster mentioned about doing many other jobs that don't involve flying - alot of human resource management, flight safety, and other paperwork-like duties are part of daily life.

As for Helicopters - yep, approximately 50% of CF cockpits are helicopters, and about that percentage of pilots are selected to fly Helos. Competition these days is generally for Multi engine (and less for fighters, like it used to be). But hey, flying a helicopter at treetop level at 100kts, winding through river valleys and zigging around and up and over hills is quite thrilling - don't discount it!

All that being said - 30 is nothing, I say talk to a recruiter and see what you think. If it tickles your fancy - go for it! Pay and benefits are excellent.

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Highflyinpilot »

All good replies, thanks.

I have been thinking of doing this for quite some time now, but it's only been a thought, now I am seriously contemplating it as I'm not getting any younger, and before I know it I'll be 60 thinking "damn, I should just went and did it"!!

Another question before dropping in to see a recruiter is if anyone knows if you get selected to be a pilot before basic training begins, as I dont want to enlist, go through basic training and end up floating around the ocean in a sub etc. not that there is anything wrong with that just not my cup of tea thats for sure.

Thanks

careerpilot?
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by careerpilot? »

Highflyinpilot wrote:All good replies, thanks.

I have been thinking of doing this for quite some time now, but it's only been a thought, now I am seriously contemplating it as I'm not getting any younger, and before I know it I'll be 60 thinking "damn, I should just went and did it"!!

Another question before dropping in to see a recruiter is if anyone knows if you get selected to be a pilot before basic training begins, as I dont want to enlist, go through basic training and end up floating around the ocean in a sub etc. not that there is anything wrong with that just not my cup of tea thats for sure.

Thanks
A question for the recruiter, I would say.

I know many guys who went through RMC, and for their first few years their trade was not set in stone. I believe the CF did a trial a few years back where noone knew their trade until a few years into RMC.

On the other hand, I know several direct entry guys (already had university degree) who knew they were going pilot before they went to Basic. It also plays into when they did aircrew selection, etc...

The CF seems to flip-flop every couple of years as to how/when they assign the trades. I don't know exactly what the policy is today, but I've seen it go both ways.

Miramar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Miramar »

I'm going through the recruitment process myself right now at 28. I've done the aptitude test and interview, just waiting to do my medical as I had my eyes fixed back in August. My understanding is that you apply for a specific job and are either accepted or rejected just for that job, they can't force you to do something else. However, you can't necessarily choose what you want to fly, as another poster pointed out, so you could be stuck on helos even if you want transport. I was also told I might qualify for pro-rating, so my commitment term could be reduced, but they haven't confirmed this with me yet.

Just for reference, I have a CPL and MIFR with an aviation college degree, which is what they based the possibility of pro-rating off of. (Sorry for the bad spelling or punctuation, typed this on my phone)

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

If you join DEO (Direct Entry Officer) - you will be offered a specific MOSID as a part of your job offer. You will know before signing your life away whether you have been accepted into the Pilot trade.

Thirty is not old - but you sure aren't getting younger, don't delay, make a decision and get going.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Two more points I think are correct.

1- You won't end up going on any boats, on or under water if you don't get offered to be a Pilot.
2- They will be pretty up front before you sign yourself over, Pilot or maybe Pilot.

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Highflyinpilot »

[quote="SAR_YQQ"]If you join DEO (Direct Entry Officer) - you will be offered a specific MOSID as a part of your job offer. You will know before signing your life away whether you have been accepted into the Pilot trade.

Thirty is not old - but you sure aren't getting younger, don't delay, make a decision and get going.[/quote]

Ya, not getting any younger thats for sure, and soon will come that time( the point of no return )

I don't think i can go DEO as i don't have a university degree, all i have is an advanced college diploma through con college's aviation program.

P.S what is a MOSID?

Thanks

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re:

Post by Highflyinpilot »

[quote="Beefitarian"]Two more points I think are correct.

1- You won't end up going on any boats, on or under water if you don't get offered to be a Pilot.
2- They will be pretty up front before you sign yourself over, Pilot or maybe Pilot.[/quote]

That was my biggest concern, I didn't want to end up doing something I'm not interested in, like sitting at the bottom of the ocean in a sub :-/

Thanks for all the info, any other useful information please pass it on.

Thanks

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Talk to a recruiter. They are not actually trying to rope you in. They will have the most up to date an possibly more important. Accurate information, instead of what I have heard second hand or further.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

No submarines I promise.

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

Go for it,

ROTP and CEOTP are opened, and with your aviation diploma, you might be able to bypass the college degree requirement (and maybe even PFT), since people joining through the Seneca CEOTP program are getting the aviation diploma, not a real degree. Of course, the recruiting center is your best (and only) source of reliable and current information about the joining requirements.

Highflyinpilot wrote:I didn't want to end up doing something I'm not interested in, like sitting at the bottom of the ocean in a sub
They will hire you for the pilot trade, and nothing else. If you fail the pilot training, they might offer you another trade. You'll be allowed to refuse it. Unless they paid for some of your education, you do not owe the RCAF anything until you get your Wings (after phase 3, which is either on the Hawk, the King Air or the Bell 412) and can leave whenever you want. Minimum serving time post-wings is 7 years.

Miramar wrote:My understanding is that you apply for a specific job and are either accepted or rejected just for that job, they can't force you to do something else.
You understood correctly. However, you could be kind of forced to take a non-flying position for some time at some point in your career...

Miramar wrote:However, you can't necessarily choose what you want to fly, as another poster pointed out, so you could be stuck on helos even if you want transport.
Stuck... not really. There are opportunities to switch branches. I know a guy who flew F-18 for 15 years then Griffon for another 15 years (he now flies for AC...). Another one was a Harvard II instructor, then Snowbird, now flies helos. A Twin Otter pilot switched to Hercs, then to Griffons. Heck the F-18 demo pilot from a couple of years ago was a tac hel pilot for the first part of his career.
I'm not saying it is always possible and easy to switch branches, but it can be done, and if you are willing to instruct in Moose Jaw, then your chances are even higher.
My advice for anyone who is dead set on flying only one type of aircraft (most of 'em are of the Maverick type): don't join the CF. You might get to your phase II in Moose Jaw and be told right away that for your course there are 12 helo, 8 multi-engine and 0 jet slots. Doesn't matter if you end up acing the course, you still won't get fighter for phase III.

LuckyPilot wrote:Confederation College grad or any aviation college grad gives you the post secondary requirement for the mil.
Some years you might be right, some years no. It really depends on which entry programs are opened.

Return to “General Comments”