Layovers

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MCB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Layovers

Post by MCB »

Thanks to geocaching, summer weather, and local places for food/drinks, I spend as little time as possible just cooped up in my hotel room during layovers.

However, with colder, snowier winter weather approaching, I'd like to avoid being trapped in my hotel room wondering if I've already watched that movie on my netflix account.

I've considering taking an online course of some kind to keep productive. I've quickly looked at a Masters through Embry Riddle, but it's quite a commitment and costs roughly $20,000.

Realistically, a light online course of interest to me would be a good way to be somewhat productive. Just wondering if any fellow AVCanadians are taking any courses or have any recommendations for productively using time on a layover (besides reading avcanada!).

Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------

esp803

Re: Layovers

Post by esp803 »

When I was living in ZSJ I took multi-variable calculus from Athabasca, they are quite well set up for the correspondence courses. I've heard good things about Thompson River as well. I forget what the course cost me... maybe 500?

http://www.athabascau.ca/

https://www.tru.ca/

FogboundBird
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FogboundBird »

Try learning a new language

frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by frozen solid »

Is geocaching really that much fun? I've never tried it.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Learning for learning's sake.

+RA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by +RA »

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/UOLIP/home.aspx

The way the program is set up, it's extremely self-directed, the benefit being that it's very inexpensive. However, the program would obviously only benefit those who can learn in this sort of manner and are very self-motivated, therefore I'm not sure this program would be classified as a light course.

In terms of cost though, the BSc in Economics and Finance for example, would be less than $7 000 for the entirety of the degree. This is an amazing deal considering the reputation of LSE in the economics field is second only to Harvard.

There have been seven graduates from the University of London's International program, which includes LSE external, that have been Nobel laureates. It has a long history, with many noteworthy graduates.

Apollo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Apollo »

Try EdX https://www.edx.org/ (Real courses from real universities)

or Codeacademy (learn to code!)

GUMPS
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GUMPS »

frozen solid wrote:Is geocaching really that much fun? I've never tried it.
I spend enough time geocaching around my house for keys, wallet and phone before I leave that I've never had to try it.

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

That is hilarious. I will no longer lose anything. From here in, I'm "geocaching".

Don't forget your RAIC.

MCB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MCB »

GUMPS wrote:
frozen solid wrote:Is geocaching really that much fun? I've never tried it.
I spend enough time geocaching around my house for keys, wallet and phone before I leave that I've never had to try it.
HAHA Well said! Personally, I like geocaching because it gives me some kind of objective, rather than walking around aimlessly. Now I still get to walk around, but I sort of have a purpose and I give off a great aura of suspiciousness while I prod through a bush. :twisted:

Thanks for the school recommendations, I'll check some of them out

frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by frozen solid »

If you want some small thing that isn't quite on the same level as getting a degree or solving the mystery of controllable cold fusion, you could check this out: www.fiddlersgreen.net ...It seems silly but I used to waste time making these little card models on hold and then hanging them on strings in the pilot's room at work. I THINK the other guys appreciated it...maybe they thought I was off my rocker, I don't know.

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

Books are free. you can pirate them from your local library.

airspeed250
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airspeed250 »

Not sure what your interests are, but the Chartered Financial Analyst program is well respected plus something to fall back on. 3 years and very affordable.

Return to “General Comments”