Linkedin

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

avcanada
Rank Admin
Rank Admin

Linkedin

Post by avcanada »

I just joined LinkedIn and am very interested in connecting with as many AvCanada users as I can.

My profile is located at http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/joseph-macdo ... 8/266/108/ .

Add your profile to this topic if you are interested in also growing your connections via LinkedIn.
---------- ADS -----------

Quinny
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Linkedin

Post by Quinny »

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

We connected yesterday.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I was going to join, but stopped when it wanted access to all of my email contacts. I've got spam that way from them before... and I'm not that desperate to make business contacts.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

I have 266 "connections". I have no idea how.
I don't know 266 people. I'm pretty sure I don't
know 50 people.

Girl17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Girl17 »

Linkedin is great! You can post your professional qualifications on your profile so others can see what you've achieved. It's great for networking! Recently, for example, Hawk Air CEO Jay Dilley added "Piloting" and "Flight Planning" to his list of professional qualifications on Linkedin. I'm sure we will all feel like congratulating him on becoming a professional pilot so quickly!

flatface
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flatface »

Deleted

Last edited by flatface on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OntheNumbers
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by OntheNumbers »

I had a linked in account for around 10 years and got so frustrated with it that I deleted it. One source of frustration was/is all the spam they send out. Plus, one of my contacts used to update us all for trivial $h1t like when he went to the zoo with his kid. Who cares!

When you connect with someone there is a default message that says

"Because you are someone I trust I'd like to add you to my network blah blah".

I kept getting this message from complete strangers. I think the original intent was maybe a good idea. It allows someone to create a network of associates - people you know and trust and would gladly work with, and vice versa. But by allowing strangers into your network it defeats the purpose.

Another source of frustration is the user interface. They keep changing it; there is a way to suppress letting others see who your contacts are but you need a PhD to find it in their maze of settings. I got so annoyed at spending precious time trying to figure out how to perform a particular operation I decided to delete my account. That took another 30 minutes, I finally resorted to google to find the way to do it. Then I had a month of email with linked in, repeatedly asking them to close my damned account. I felt like Patrick McGoohan in The prisoner.

Girl17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Girl17 »

I guess I just don't understand why more pilots aren't willing to congratulate Jay Dilley, CEO of Hawk Air, on his recently becoming (according to Linkedin), a professional pilot and flight planner. This is a big achievement. "Management Science" is a big deal, and I would have thought that more people would have been impressed with someone with those credentials having also added "piloting" and "flight planning" to their repertoire. I can tell you, some day when I qualify, I hope I can follow in Jay Dilley's footsteps! Remember folks, if you can't become a chartered financial analyst in Canada, there's always Virginia! It's almost as good! Well, remember folks, to whom much is given, much is expected!

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

An Engineer friend in SA sent me the link a while back and I reluctlantly joined and now I get constant mail from engineers of every discription. Maybe a good way to find a job but I'm sorry I put my email forward. Think I'll delete soon.

B52
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by B52 »

It's advertizing spam, part of their blitz of advertizing with paid stories about their alleged successes.
It's the source of endless spam, and then it infects email and if you join, it can send invites to Linkedin to all your
email contacts. I've lost count of the number of people who did not intentionally join linked in and yet their email
addresses sent out invites to all their contacts.

Avoid it like the plaque and ban the poster please.

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

Naw...it's like free will, excercise it as you choose. I have found it works well in Networking for business. ( Learn how to use the options. Then, you can speak from knowledge.)

C-FABH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by C-FABH »

B52 wrote:It's advertizing spam, part of their blitz of advertizing with paid stories about their alleged successes.
It's the source of endless spam, and then it infects email and if you join, it can send invites to Linkedin to all your
email contacts. I've lost count of the number of people who did not intentionally join linked in and yet their email
addresses sent out invites to all their contacts.

Avoid it like the plaque and ban the poster please.
How do you non-intentionally provide LinkedIn with your email address and password? That's just stupidity.

Also, there's an "unsubscribe" button at the bottom of every email if you can't quite figure it out.

Pilot Research
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pilot Research »

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

There are quite a few avcanadians and fellow peers and co workers on their. I am myself as well. Never know when one might need a new gig ;)

cyndy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cyndy »

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Sent some linkedin connect invitations as well.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
MikeGolfEcho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MikeGolfEcho »

Last edited by MikeGolfEcho on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
booboo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by booboo »

Great Idea.

Me= M1/M2 15 yrs + exp mostly corporate including 8.5 yrs at TC of which 3 yrs as CASI

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id ... ab_profile

Return to “General Comments”