Hey old guys.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Hey old guys.

Post by Beefitarian »

I was just reading retal rates.

C-152 $125/hour + tax.
---------- ADS -----------

thirdtimecharm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hey old guys.

Post by thirdtimecharm »

That's interesting... the rental rate of a C-152 is still the price of a bootleg 40 of Smirnoff in Rankin Inlet.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Smirnoff? Gross, I would hate to be in need of some Bowmore up there.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

And I thought $8/hr for a champ was steep -- lmfaooooooooooo -- oh ya $12 dual ---- old guy -- WTF -- age discrimination ----

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

When I started flying in 1984, you could drop the 1 off the front of todays price. 25$ an hour solo. I think my complete PPL cost just under 2K if memory serves. The sad part is I was making 11$ an hour in 1984 and lived like a king. I see kids and adults making 10$ an hour (minimum wage area) nowadays and wonder how they even pay the rent!? I cant believe a C150/152 is $125 an hour. Sure fuel was $0.35 a litre back then but with their fuel burn and (still) low maintenance costs, I still cant believe they need 125$ an hour to turn a profit!? I was renting out my 172s solo in 2004 for a lot less than that (95$ solo) and still making a small profit. Seems like a pretty steep step up in a short time.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Sorry Charlie, I should have wrote, gentlemen who have flown before GPS.

I had to post that price because I know there are people reading it and not thinking, "How much?!? :shock: I used to fly a 172 for under $75 an hour." At some point it was under $100 dual, I remember it going up and being over $100 with tax. I remember a few times someone would tell me about their PPL for two hundred dollars. Now I'm the one reminiscing.

Last edited by Beefitarian on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

At 50 hours/year, it's still cheaper than owning...

~Lotro

bobo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bobo »

When I got my private pilot license in 1964 I paid $14.00 dual and $10.00 solo. At that time the government gave you $350.00 when you got your license. Those were the good old days.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Ata boy bobo, that's what I was talking about.

Lotro is right unfortunately. I bought a third pounder angus something at McDonalds several moths ago. $6+.

McDonalds! They used to pride themselves at being the place where two obese people could gorge on heavily processed food and get change from a $10 bill.

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

Ahhhhhhhh but here's the question

Back another lifetime ago (late 70s/early 80s) I was in the rental car business.

So I looked it up in my old notes, brand new cars...
Sub Compact Car was 19.95 day inc 100km
Full size car was 29.95 day inc 100km
Specialty (Firebird TA, Camaro Z-28, Cadillac) 49.95 day inc 100km

Fast scan on line for 2014....rates are still about the same at Budget/AVIS/Hertz

So how come Brand New car rates are about the same but Old airplane rates have jumped so much?
Sure fuel has gone up....but some of the aircraft on the flightline are 20+ years old
Cars have gone up a factor of at least 5

Inquiring minds want to understand

Tom

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Mysterious indeed.

Last edited by Beefitarian on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

1952: Fleet Canuck, Cessna 140 $10.00/hr solo Windsor
1969: Fleet Canuck $12.00/hr solo, C172: $20.00/hr solo Toronto
1979: Cherokee 140, $25.00/hr solo , Regina

And that Government subsidy on the PPL was $100.00 to the candidate and $100.00 to the school. IIRC this was terminated about April 1969.

Barney

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Beefitarian wrote:Volume, I have recently been told by a trainee manager at a car rental office. They purchase in such high volume their cost is very low. They then re-sell back to the dealers after 50 000 kilometers often at a profit.
Actually, most rental cars are fleet leases.... so even cheaper. The ones they sell are only the ones that have gone over km allowances.

Actually, it is the same with LLC and their aircraft..... lease lease lease from outfits like GECAS and ILFC. They fly the bejesus out of them without a large capital layout or being tied into a mortgage... resulting in comparable ticket prices to the prederegulation days.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

When I got my license, if memory serves correctly, the rate for a club 150 was in the range of $18, a little more with the instructor along.

At that same time, McD had a series of tv adds running, get a nickel change from your dollar bill, burger, fries and a drink.

I bought a ticket on an airline right about then too, YXS to YVR, for 99 bucks.

Wind the clock forward. McD is running adds, get change from a 10 dollar bill.

Renting that 150 runs about 125.

A little over a year ago, I bought a ticket, YXS to YVR for 99 bucks.

Some things change, some stay the same.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Flin Flon Man. Air taxi on floats.
Cessna 180 - $0:50 per mile all in.
Norseman - $0:75 per mile all in except a surcharge for an external load.
Beech 18 - $1:00 per mile all in except a surcharge for an external load.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
704type
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 704type »

In the early 70,s I was paying $10/hr for an older 150 (with manual flaps) and 16/hr for a newer one both solo. Dual was an extra $15/hr.
Digressing to the rental car conversation.....today a midsize car is considered a Toyota Corolla, not like the old days. The airplanes may have increased in cost/hr, but the cars have become much less than advertised.

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

Digressing to the rental car conversation.....today a midsize car is considered a Toyota Corolla, not like the old days. The airplanes may have increased in cost/hr, but the cars have become much less than advertised.
In my time a Ford Fairmont was a mid size, folks in my family have several Corollas (not me I'm too cheap) and they are if anything larger, as well as better equipped.

T

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

I started flying in 1968 at Skyways Air Services in Langley. Harry Warman was my first instructor. PA 28-140 Cherokee. I think it was $24 an hour dual. I moved to Revelstoke that summer and kept on with Morris Aviation there (Barry and Carol Morris). Barry Lapointe was the engineer working out of the back of his car and he owned a Globe Swift. It was $27 dual for a 172 there in the summer of $68. I made $800 a month working the high mountains up the Jordan River as a prospector. Wacky Bennett was premier of BC, Flying Phil Gaglardi was minister of highways.

In 79, I rented a Turbo 210 with 110 hours total time and went to Mexico and back with six people. Guymas. $65 an hour wet. In the same year, I rented an Aztec for $80 an hour wet.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

In Florida this christmas they wanted 150/day for a convertible mustang or corvette. I think the Gallardo was 800/day...The 2door 4 seater was 100/day. Just depends on time of year I guess.

Airplanes are just an arm and a leg year round. Somebody's getting rich...

Speaking of Fl, are the americans still flying the F-111? Personal machine maybe? Wonder what they rent for...

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yeah, okay, by this standard, I'm old. When I first rented, a 150 was $18 per hour solo. I did my first solo on the first C152 imported into Canada, when it had 33 hours TTSN. When I got my license, I mostly rented the Cardinal RG, for $55 per hour

Return to “General Comments”