IATRA exam recently

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, I WAS Birddog

cclemon
Rank 0
Rank 0

IATRA exam recently

Post by cclemon »

Has anyone taken the IATRA recently. Found lots of stuff from years ago. I took it took 2 years ago but its expired. I found that the test I took last time wasn't that similar to the ones I found in the Aerocourse. Maybe I had a new version or something but I was all ready with my PNR and CP and True Alt. and nothing on that!
Any help would be appreciated. There is soooo much to study from its hard to narrow it down.

---------- ADS -----------

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: IATRA exam recently

Post by Cessna driver »

I had 1 PNR, about 9 IFR questions, 5 or so were GPS related, no %MAC questions, just total weight

iSight
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iSight »

Just go write the SAMRA and SARON. They are easier.

spaner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by spaner »

This comes up more often than you would think, and it's so simple.
First, set aside 6-weeks, no not joking.
The colonel has laid this out here numerous times; thanks a bunch L!
Search his recommendations for the "AIP"; it's on-line now, free and searchable. Download it dummy (PDF).
Search his sections, print them, wright them out ( ;) ), sleep with them, make love to them...

Then, you mentioned Aerocourse. They are up-to-date, leaning on the NEW, verses the OLD. Run it, make love to it, many times...and repeat.

6-weeks, that'll get you a pass. If you want above and beyond, then engrain the ADF/NDB shite of old. Be able to plot time and distance to station via crossing bearings, and know cold, how to find your position via relative bearing, track, and station...running two fixed, or two RMIs, or one of each. Know it cold, and that will get you into the 80s.

You want 90s, it's 6-months and a tutor out of one of the colleges...

How is this hard to understand? :rolleyes:

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to the light".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM3lDvhRzsQ

cclemon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cclemon »

Thanks! Yes trying not to pull my hair out due to the absurdity of the whole thing. Still trying to understand why this applies to two crew??? Should be all CRM if that's the case!! Yes and stop asking me about bloody ADF!!!

MorePower!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MorePower! »

If you know some IFR stuff, and basic knowledge in the AIM. You shouldn't need 6 weeks. The IATRA is really easy!

Just study the aerocourse for one day solid. And you should be in the 80's easily. The AIM is your friend.

Really a no brainer. The Samra and Saron were a little tougher, exactly the same just more questions. Also need no where near 6 weeks.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

The last time I wrote the IATRA I flipped through an old Aerocourse book, going over questions at random. I didn't put more than four hours of studying in and I got 80%. Anyone with a bit of IFR experience shouldn't have to put any effort into it, unless for some reason you're trying to ace it.

cclemon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cclemon »

Not trying to ace it, but when I took it two years ago they seemed to have re done the exam and mine was rather different than the tips and questions that I found on line. My . is from 2009 and the exam was more difficult than that.
Looking at what I got wrong last time and things like rules governing AD's regarding foreign aircraft registered in Canada. Ya sorry don't have that one memorized!!

Return to “General Comments”