Time to change the Co Pilot ATPL requirement!!!!!!!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rewrite the req that Co Pilot time counts as 1hr for 1hr for the ATPL reqs

Poll ended at Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:43 am

Yes, Change the rule to 1hr flown is 1hr logged TT
46%
No, Keep it the way it is
54%

Total votes: 90

planedriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Time to change the Co Pilot ATPL requirement!!!!!!!

Post by planedriver »

Copilot time only counting for .5 of every hour flown is a total crock of s*%t !!!!!!!!!

A 200hr instructor who can fly donuts on a sunny day in a 150 and log it as PIC time is one thing, but guys that are flying right seat in Waterbombers , Twin Otters, Kingairs and 4 engine Heavy Piston / Turbine machines need double the amount of time to get there ATPL's signed off. What the F$%K????

Can someone explain to me how 1500hrs in a 172 down south can be compareable to 3000hrs of learning how to land on eskers, bomb fires, land 12-70'000lbs planes on 3500ft on ice, and fly years round through bad Wx and sub zero temps and deal with actual emergencies. :evil:

It's time to change this moronic rule that some TC clerk wrote in.
---------- ADS -----------

backon3
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by backon3 »

Couldn't agree more!!! Sitting in the right seat of a 172 or like and never touching the controls should not count for more than in the right seat of a "working" airplane in the north. If TC requires that it be two crew to operate it should count 1 for 1. Not like right seat in a PC-12 or Caravan, but it should apply with ATR-42, DC-4, 215! Just cause' it is required in the AOC or for insurance doesn't mean you "need" to be there. ie, 2nd pilot on a half pilot machine. At least add a heavy category to the ATPL requirements.

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

I agree with you guys completely, but I think why its the way it is, is an instructor being the PIC assumes a responsibility that of a captain. an FO is not given as much responsibility as the Captain is. Noone is saying an instructor is doing more work than an FO of a turbprop but I think it all comes down to PIC and responsiblity. But I do agree that the way it is right now is kind of retarded.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I agree 100%, if you are flying in a two pilot crew and in a commercial operation the first officer time should be counted by the number of hours flown not half the time.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Ok, gotta wade in on this one.

I agree, co-pilot time should be changed. 3000hr co-jo's should NOT be given ATPL's. There are VERY few twin-otter co-pilots wandering around this country, learning the things you mentioned. Most are Calgary(or insert major city of your choice) bound career f/o's who know very liitle about flying other than repeating the same clearance every day and grabbing a hotel room for 7 hours. CMA, Caribou, Sunwest, Alta, Georgian, Perimeter etc etc.

The 172 intructor should NOT be given an ATPL either. This licence should be an indication of EXPERIENCE gained, not hours spent watching someone else fly, or make decisions.

Pilot-in-COMMAND time is very important, we seem to be loosing sight of this fact.

Spending 3000hrs in the right seat of a B1900 on the same routes does not give a pilot a well rounded set of skills or a broad experience range. The standard of our license is appalling, go get some instructing/right seat time, write two exams that have almost nothing to do with real flying, and BOOM you're leagally allowed to Capt a Heavy Turbine. I call Bull$hit. The whole system should be revised to train the ATPL pilot to a much higher standard than we currently do.

As for the Twin-Otter, Esker landing co-jo - go get yourself 500hrs in 185, Beaver, 206 or the like where you're on your own in the $shit, solving the problems of the day by yourself, THEN you're qualified to be a Capt. on a large a/c. It's called experience for a reason, seems to me nobody wants to work for it these days, and if they do, they aren't given the chance.

What I'm saying is lets improve the standard instead of watering it down further.

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Sky'sthelimit has it right. Neither a 1500hr Instructor NOR a 3000 hr F/O has scared the $hit outta themselves enough to be trusted to make the correct 'Command' decision in a two-crew environment. Maybe we should count all SPIFR time as double??!!

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
PPP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PPP »

I feel and think that the ATPL requirements need to be changed totally. The PIC time that they are asking should be made PIC multi time. Also I think you need to be or have been with a company that is a 703,704,705. This will stop pilots mainly form getting them because they have not flown in a commercial operation. Thus Putting the meaning back into the ATPL.

RB-211
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RB-211 »

ATPL requirements should be based on multi crew time (say 500) on a multi crew aircraft. These are aircraft that require TWO pilots at all times including ferry flights, test flights and VFR operations. This does not include Otters, King Air's, Metro's or 1900's. DASH 8, 737, 320 and up etc would be the types. This ends the FO vs FI debate all together.

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

Ok lets look at it this way....an instructor puts his ass on the line everytime he goes up with a student that still has no idea how to fly the A/C. You sit there and if you screw up, it's the captains ass if he doesn't bail you out. The instructor may not have his hands on the controls 100% of the time, but when he does, it's not flying straight and level. I'll trade places any day with the POOR POOR guy who sits right seat of a King Air logging multi turbine time, who reads clearances and flies straight and level for 4 hours. While I'm doing that he can teach my student with 10 hours how to land, who for some reason just can understand when landings go to shit because they can't co-ordinate rudder and aileron and land on a 50 foot wide runway...now start teaching on floats and see how you feel when a student has his head up his ass and dips a wing tip. If you think instructing is easy and you got it so hard, why not look at a job change...I'll gladly fill your position when you leave. I know a few people might look at this post with their head sideways, but it must be nice to sit on your high horse now that you have 2000 hrs and some good multi time. If you don't remember what it was like teaching or sitting on a dock for two years maybe you can lend a few of us a couple grand so we too can buy a PPC.

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

Over the Horn
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Over the Horn »

I have to agree with "sky's the limit" on this one Co Jo time or instructor time just isn't the same as real world Pic time. 8)

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

Airtids wrote:Sky'sthelimit has it right. Neither a 1500hr Instructor NOR a 3000 hr F/O has scared the $hit outta themselves enough to be trusted to make the correct 'Command' decision in a two-crew environment.
The last time I checked Captain jobs on a 350 weren't being handed to any instructors I know, not saying they should either....

So I have to do something stupid and scare myself in order to make a good descision later ?!?
Chances are if you can make a stupid descision in a one crew environment you'll do it in a two crew.
" Command " descisions come from the PIC...which is the Captain, not the F/O, which is exactly why you only log 0.5 per hour.

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

Rubberbiscuit
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Rubberbiscuit »

I find that the industry polices itself, therefore there is no chance of a pilot getting PIC on a large aircraft simply by holding an ATPL. On the other hand it is certainly an asset to pick up some PIC experience somewhere along the road. To say you have to get that time I do not agree with. There are many countries arounf the planet with little or no general aviation where guys/girls go straigt into the right seat of a Dash 8, then move to the main carrier and their first Captain job is on a large jet. It works where it has to!

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

LostinRotation- I understand where you're coming from, having a strong instructing background myself. I was lucky in that every FTU I worked at (with the exception of the college :roll: ) were also 702/703 operations, multi IFR, and single pilot to boot. The majority of the folks who say that a FI time is not worth as much as FO time have never been instructors, and this is where comments that piss instructors off like 'doing donuts in a 172' come from- sheer ignorance about what the job really entails. You've done a good job of painting a realistic picture of your point of view, and I'd be willing to throw in that if they changed jobs with you, they could even keep their salary and you'd be happy to do their job for a meager instructor salary! :D However, comments like 'Warming the seat, straight and level' are the same, only from your perspective. I'm sure that your intention was merely to show the ignorance of the comments. Right!?. :wink:

As stated above, I believe that FI and FO time should count the same towards ATPL, but neither should count as much as the time acquired by flying operationally (CAS) as PIC, regardless of the aircraft type. You are absolutely correct that FI are the Captain, and take ultimate responsibility, which is part of what the ATPL is about. The thing about scaring yourself was merely to highlight a level of inexperience. There is nothing like that feeling to force oneself to doing everything possible to never get into that same position again; ie. MAKE GOOD COMMAND DECISIONS. I'm not saying that is the only way to learn, just a very effective one, and unfortunately, a very common one when inexperienced pilots are forced to make all the decisions without ever having been exposed to all the possibilities. Additionally, you can scare the crap out of yourself without having done anything stupid. I don't know of anyone, instructors included, who consider themselves as experienced and would say they've never scared themselves in an airplane. Flight training is a VERY structured environment- approved cross country routes, designated local practice areas, familiar airports etc. There is less opportunity to see all the aviation pitfalls that await the Captain of a two-crew machine. The instructor doesn't get the chance to see the pitfalls, and the FO isn't the one responsible for doing the right thing when they do get a chance to see the pitfalls. They each have their shortcomings which preclude either of them from counting as 'the Full Deal' in my mind.

Have you heard the one about starting your aviation career with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience? The goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck. Good luck.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

Airtids wrote: However, comments like 'Warming the seat, straight and level' are the same, only from your perspective. I'm sure that your intention was merely to show the ignorance of the comments. Right!?. :wink:
Indeed :P

And yes, he could keep his salary....also you make a good number of points.

I think the first time I scared the beejebus out of myself was putting a glider into a spin " to lose some altitude " at 6000 ft

I had to open the canopy and lean forward to help get the nose down enough to recover after something like 10 rotations.... I didn't fly for 3 days straight after that.

-=0=LIR=0=-

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

Not sure about other Countries but in the US, 1500hrs is 1500hrs, ie right seat time in a multi-crew aircraft counts towards the ATP.

punk

Post by punk »

I agree that some changes need to be made...as someone said we do police ourselves...but my biggest beef is why time as a Second Officer on a 3 crew a/c ie...B727 does not count at all....it's BS...all the S/O's out there are working their asses off...working the systems, running the checklist & making sure the two up front are doing their jobs...this is an eye opening experience for any pilot & it's a shame it's not recognized.

Flaperons
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flaperons »

I'm a little confused by Sky's the Limit's post. Who, exactly, is hiring 1500-hr brand-new ATP-certificated pilots into left seat on heavy transports? Do you know something nobody else does? Just because the license legally enables you to fly left seat on a 777 doesn't mean you'll get the job, even on the right side.

Europe has much higher standards for the ATP. And yet, pilots go left seat much earlier than in Canada. How does this make you feel?

In fact, Canada seems to be the toughest place in the world to get that heavy time. So theoretically, the 3000-hr Twotter co-jo is MORE experienced than many of the right-seaters in heavy metal around the world.

Hmmm...

Sounds like another old-timer massaging himself again.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you're a fool, than to open it and prove them right.
jimmyjazz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jimmyjazz »

Airtids and skys the limit have it right, I know when you are in those positions it doesn't seem so but after you do a bunch of single pilot pic you start to change your mind. Especially after you train the new guy and you start thinking wow was I like this a when I had 500 hours or whatever but a few weeks or months on line in opperational situations and weather and they understand. Both should be half time but sideways in a 27 should count for something to.

backon3
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by backon3 »

Sorry...flying leg for leg in a 60 000lb airplane should not count for less than instructing, maybe the same, but definitely not less!

split s
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by split s »

I hear the rules are going to change, the only change I can remember hearing was you will have to have a ppc on a multi-turbine A/C before being issued the ATPL. Has anyone heard anything?

Return to “General Comments”