Aviation Document Booklet - Expiration

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Aviation Document Booklet - Expiration

Post by AirFrame »

Mine expired February 14th, so I sent the renewal in the first week of November. I forget exactly when I got it back, but it was early December. I wanted mine in early because I think the first batch of Private licenses were all February renewals, and we were all told to apply 90 days in advance (but NOT MORE THAN 90 days in advance... they were explicit about that).
---------- ADS -----------

floats4fun
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by floats4fun »

Part A (Personal Info) #3 and 4 How are we supposed to show proof of citizenship for a renewal if you mail it in? Do they require some sort of proof?

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

.., I still don't see how you can think that the $40 fee to have a valid licence is TC's fault when you didn't submit your application with sufficient time remaining on your existing licence. Nor do I see how it's any different than paying extra to get an expedited passport: if you submit your application with plenty of time remaining it doesn't cost you any extra, but if you wait until the day before it expires you have to pay to jump the line and get served before everyone who has adequate foresight. The fact that you get an actual passport but not an ADB is irrelevant; the temporary licence you receive is still a valid licence, and you don't pay any extra for the ADB when it does come. Do you get this mad at the issuer of drivers' licences in your province when you don't bother to renew your licence before it expires? How is it in any way their fault? Take some responsibility for your own inaction.

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

December 5 I trucked my form and photos to my local TC office as my last ADB was expiring March 1.

The one mistake I made with the form was putting down my old ADB as identification -- sorry folks, your current Transport Canada ADB is not acceptable identification for Transport Canada when renewing your ADB. Bring your driver license :smt040

They issued the new ADB December 18 and I got it before Christmas. Blinding speed compared to last time.

The one thing it does for me is that the doctor's stamp renews the medical which saves TC the mailing cost -- oh, wait a minute! they mail me a bill for that :rolleyes:

My old licenses were last reissued in 1990 and have survived without fading in my license holder, but the print in the ADB seems to dissolve before your eyes if you keep it in your pocket. Well now, I keep mine in a baggie.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

.., thanks for posting the heads up. Feel free to ignore the dough heads who can't understand why you would post this valuable information for the rest of us who are going to have to renew within the next year.

If some TC offices are capable of turning these ADBs around in a reasonable time frame and others are not, seems like there's a pretty simple solution: find the people in charge of the offices where there are lengthy delays and redistrubute them into a position of responsibility commensurate with their abilities. Continue until you find someone who CAN run the office properly. Might take a while but I'm sure we'd get there in the end.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

I know I'm not allowed to ask this, but why
are we on a 5 year cycle? Passports are on
a 10 year cycle now, aren't they?

If shorter time is better, why not have them
expire and renewed every year?

Colibri
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Colibri »

Are all the booklets printed at one location? My licence expired in Jan, so in early Dec I went to the TC office and was told to expect a new one within three weeks. Well, within two weeks I had a new one... No joke. Quickest processing I've ever seen.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Colonel Sanders wrote:I know I'm not allowed to ask this, but why
are we on a 5 year cycle? Passports are on
a 10 year cycle now, aren't they?

If shorter time is better, why not have them
expire and renewed every year?
I was told by a TC person that the requirement for a picture and a 5 year life for the document was driven by ICAO rules. I think they are trying to get on top of fraudulent licenses from certain reputationally challenged countries out there.

My big beef is why they did not go to a drivers license card format like the AME's have. The booklet is a PITA to carry :x

Incidentally if you want to be mad at TC then you can piss on them about the radio license. Apparently a TC guy got Industry Canada approval to put the radio license in the booklet. Industry Canada was ready to provide all the data when the TC guy moved to another job. The new guy never got briefed on what was happening and by the time Industry Canada phoned and asked what was going on the new booklet was already being issued so it was too late to add a page for the radio license :roll:

floats4fun
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by floats4fun »

Can someone please tell me if you have to personally
Drop off your renewal and if not how do you provide a secondary
Piece of valid identification without having to mail it in along with the renewal?

If going in to a local office is the only way to renew ( so you can verify your identity)
This whole process is for the birds.

Sorry for the poor grammar.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I filled in my passport number for the secondary ID requirement when I mailed my renewal. That's all they got, and I did get my new ADB in the mail.

creepilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by creepilot »

Went to see TC 2 weeks before expiry date. They told me they would take care of it the same day. Received it by mail 1 week later :)
That was last month.

chu me
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chu me »

I have only one thing to add to this thread. It is politburo not polet bureau. :D

Have at'er

Sincerely

Chu me

DGuy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DGuy »

I did not realize that my Canadian Aviation Booklet expired. After discovery I requested a temporary licence from the MOT . They replied that You can NOT obtain a temporary licence on an expired Aviation Booklet, although my instrument and medical are valid. Thankfully it is not my working licence, as I use the Canadian licence only for personal flying. But it would have been a different matter if my income depended on it. I should have observed the expiry date of the booklet, but at the same time I do think the Ministry is unreasonable in not providing temporary licences if You are current on your IFR, Medical, (and Type if appropriate). Even with extra charges, since it is Your oversight. Maybe I should request a (tourist) validation based on a foreign licence, just in case it takes 90 days to issue a new "aviation Booklet". I must say that is is very nice blue booklet.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

Mine expires March 1. The paperwork has been sent in. If I can't get a temp licence I'll just grab a cheap flight to Mexico and work on my tan till they get around to sending a renewal.
:bear: :bear:

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Mine expires March 1
I might be wrong, but I suspect that this
spring and summer, there will be thousands
of blissfully unaware pilots flying on expired
pilot licences.

A bureaucratic triumph is when you can
maneuver the paper in such as way as to
make criminals out of law-abiding citizens.

Trapper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Trapper »

We'll said CS. Only in Canada Eh!

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

I just don't know why we have to make
things so tough.

My FAA ATP is a compact little plastic
card, with no expiry date. Handy for
scraping ice.

Ok, we have to be different and have
a poofy passport-style pilot licence
"just because".

I accept that. But why can't we have
10 year validity on our pilot licences,
like passports now?

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

PILOT LICENCES SHOULD NEVER EXPIRE
Even the old ugly paper licences never rally expired. They were replaced as needed?
As usual, stupidity reigns supreme, as something SO simple is made almost impossible by TC.
I guess a credit card sized, PERMANENT licence would result in lay offs?
Say nothing of the fact, a passport can be had in a couple of days??
:bear: :bear:

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A Regulator »

From what I was told back when TC was introducing it I was on one of the original briefings about why, so the old licence Was very prone to falsification and I saw many. You had to carry both a licence and medical that didn't match with each other. When you compared those to some of the other ICAO documents ours looked like @$!

So lots of ideas was discussed and talked about including the FAA one however Canada went with a document that met ICAO requirements and other security required items. As ours is a licence and not a certificate like other countries, our old licence could and was used for obtaining other identification and identity theft. The new aviation document has many security features built in to it, to help prevent that from happening.

I like the new documents compared to the old ones and like everything else in flying it has an expiry date. If you submit your renewal in the time frames required you will get a new document BUT you may have to carry both Aviation Documents because you may need the other items such as medical, IRT/PPC valid to dates in the old one.

Your Ops Manager, Chief Pilot, and you should be checking to ensure you have valid documents to fly.

Mmmm...should I say your company should have systems in place to ensure crew are valid to do the flights.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I can get a passport renewed in 48 hours. You people need 40 days? WHY?

Return to “General Comments”