Aviation Document Booklet - Expiration

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Aviation Document Booklet - Expiration

Post by ScudRunner »

So I was on course this last December down in the states and to my surprise when going over my booklet it was to expire Feb 1st 2014. I say surprise as I had it in my head that it wasn't due until June, whoops my bad (How often do you look at your licence) but not biggy ill take care of this when I return towards the end of the month. Worst case if a new one has not been issued I will just go to my friendly neighborhood TC office and get a temporary one until it arrives. I submitted my paperwork upon my return about the 27th of December after the TC office opened up from holidays. So just yesterday with no new booklet received I went on down to the TC office and was fined $40 dollars to get one of those temporary licenses blue printed paper deals that are exactly like our old licenses.

I was given the explanation that since I did not submit my paper work withing 40 business days of it coming due they had to charge me $40 dollars for a tempo licence. Well I gotta work so I need a valid licence so I had no choice to pony up the cash, now explained the TC staffer if I had submitted mine with more than 40 business days or about December 3rd I would not have been fined said $40.

So take this as a warning folks, also I have been searching through the TC directives bulletins and cannot fined any documentation that states such a penalty will be issued for my treason against the polet bureau. anyone got a link to help a brother out?
---------- ADS -----------

The Wizard of OZ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Aviation Document Booklet - Expiration

Post by The Wizard of OZ »

I did a little research and this is what I found(worth exactly what you paid me for it :smt040 ):

The published level of service standard for the issuance of an ATPL or CPL is 20 to 40 working days as per TP 14984. The fee for the issuance of a temp is in CAR 104.01 Schedule IV item 17 and is the :evil: Forty Dollar Fine to which you refer.(Bolding is for emphasis) As you requested the issuance of a temporary license you are obligated to pay the fee. Had you submitted your paperwork and TC was outside the level of service they published and you called and inquired about the delay I would think that TC would choose issue you a Temp license at that time so that you would not lose license privileges. Everyone should check their expiry dates and apply 90 days early to avoid having to request a temporary license! I found the relevant CAR and pasted it below along with a cut and paste from the schedule:

104.01 Subject to section 104.03, the charge imposed in respect of the issuance, renewal, amendment or endorsement or, in the case of a medical certificate, the processing, on or after January 1, 1998 of a document referred to in column I of an item of Schedules I to VII to this Subpart is the charge set out in column II of the item.

17. Issuance of a temporary licence, permit or medical certificate at the request of the applicant or holder 40

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/p ... nu-521.htm
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regu ... .html#h-36

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Can't help you directly, .., but I had a similar experience a few months back, after I put my booklet through the wash (left it in my pants pocket :roll: ) $115, Bang! Temporary fee, and replacement fee :evil:
Next time (if there is a next time) I'm not going to say a word unless the thing is completely destroyed. I'll take my chances with getting ramped, not having seen an inspector since ~ 2007.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

There are a lot of thing I don't understand, one thing I really don't get is why on earth would some drone down at the TC polet bureau not realize that if you make all Pilots/AME convert over to a new licence type all at the same time, it might just create a massive backlog and bubble on inception and renewal. Perhaps one did have the fore-site and hence the 40 business days for processing was a solution presented by some stellar new guy (pre lobotomy)to the boss. Of course he was most likely promoted for his ingenuity and performance above and beyond his scope of work for such genius that had not been witnessed in the halls of Ottawa since the naming of a new CFL franchise.

Why is it I can head down to the passport office and say here's an extra couple of loonies and bam get an internationally recognized document in 24 hours? Are pilots licenses that much more difficult? all they did was hit print and out pops a piece of paper scribed with all the pertinent details. I'm no computer surgeon but I would imagine when they get my renewal they take my mugshot make sure the pimple faced kid down at the wall-mart stamped it on the back because lord knows he wouldn't lie to the government then some government worker making six figures with full pension and 6 weeks vacation jams it into a scanner and then hits print.

Wahammy out pops the first page for a little blue booklet and then some umpa lumpa jams a few more pages in and finishes it off with a staple gun. Holy jebus there Shamus that guy now can fly a plane up in de sky. Heck here is an idea take all those out of work fisherman they employed for the gun registry back east and say hold off on registering that Black and Decker gun and lets go make some pilots licence then go back on the pogey as per SOP.

I don't mean to go off on a rant about this but seriously how corrupted is the process at TC that this is the norm all over our great country. I use to think that if Canada was to get an enema they would most likely stick the tube in Thompson and the very least certain it would have been somewhere in Manitoba , now I think it would be better placed down on Sparks street in Ottawa.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Good points ..
There's several flaws in the whole Av Doc - I think it is the result of a high school business project gone wrong. I was talking to our POI one day about it. He just rolled his eyes in disgust.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Just another tax like the recurring pilot fee.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

North Shore wrote:Can't help you directly, .., but I had a similar experience a few months back, after I put my booklet through the wash (left it in my pants pocket :roll: ) $115, Bang! Temporary fee, and replacement fee :evil:
Next time (if there is a next time) I'm not going to say a word unless the thing is completely destroyed. I'll take my chances with getting ramped, not having seen an inspector since ~ 2007.

That $115 could have been $50. $40 for a temp document and $10 for a passport photo. Applying for a new booklet is free, never pay for a "replacement booklet."

Daniel Gustin
Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

., I have no sympathy for you in this situation. TC is pretty clear about how long it takes them to process applications, and you didn't get yours in by that deadline. Then, you requested a temporary document, about which TC is also very clear with regards to the fee. Now you're incensed because... why? You didn't submit the application on time. The terms of processing applications are explicitly clear, and the onus is on you to comply with them. Would you go to a grocery store five minutes before closing and get angry because they wouldn't let you wander around the store for half an hour picking out items? You're hungry, dammit, and it's their fault that you didn't check their hours!

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Also, an afterthought regarding expedited passports: you have that option for your pilot's licence. Hell, you used that option! You paid $40 and got a temporary one. How is that different from paying extra for an expedited passport?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

So you can't apply before 90 days (60 business days) yet you must have it in before 40 business days not a big window

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

Diadem wrote:., I have no sympathy for you in this situation. TC is pretty clear about how long it takes them to process applications, and you didn't get yours in by that deadline. Then, you requested a temporary document, about which TC is also very clear with regards to the fee. Now you're incensed because... why? You didn't submit the application on time. The terms of processing applications are explicitly clear, and the onus is on you to comply with them. Would you go to a grocery store five minutes before closing and get angry because they wouldn't let you wander around the store for half an hour picking out items? You're hungry, dammit, and it's their fault that you didn't check their hours!
Well first off I am not looking for your sympathy, I wrote it as a warning to others of my experience in the process with TC. Have they really been all that clear the process? (lets look for their store hours)

So lets take a stroll through TC land.

1. ah my booklet needs renewing
2. how do I do that again? - lets google that
3. FAQ on the TC web says
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... aq-474.htm
open that in a new window and follow along, I will highlight the applicable parts
(2)Will the Aviation Document Booklet cost me anything?

No – Aviation Document Booklet applications are not subject to the TCCA licensing fee schedule. This includes applications for Aviation Document Booklet renewal.

The only cost that you will incur will be the cost of obtaining a passport photograph from a commercial photographer and the mailing costs for submitting your application.
hmm ok thats good does not cost me a dime but ill follow checklist through til completion like a good little pilot.
(7) My current Aviation Document Booklet has not expired and I have applied for a new booklet. Are validity periods that are yet to expire in my current Aviation Document Booklet still valid?

Yes - Keep the current Booklet until you have received and reviewed the new Booklet. Due to licensing processes, the new Booklet may not show up-to-date licensing or medical certificate information.

If any residual validity period exists, keep the current Booklet along with the new Booklet to provide proof of meeting your licensing and medical requirements.

Thereafter, by default, it is understood that the publication of a new issue of a document automatically renders any earlier issues of the same document null and void.
ok make sense.
(9) What happens if my Aviation Document Booklet permit, licence or medical certificate label is lost, stolen, not received in the mail or rendered illegible?

You will have to report the occurrence to your regional licensing office by submitting a declaration stating the circumstance of the occurrence. For more information about the declaration, please contact your regional licensing office. Use the following form when submitting the declaration - Application for Re-Issue of Civil Aviation Licensing Document form – TP 26-0738
well that doesn't apply let click the link.
It takes you to a redirect page for the latest information that has a forum to fill out and sign that says you aint committing no fraud and a $35 fee is charge for reissue of the document.

I didn't get it stolen or lost it wasn't sent in the mail yet, renewing my booklet so not applicable
(10) When my Aviation Document Booklet expires, do all my privileges for the permit(s), licence(s) or medical certificate(s) also expire?

Yes - You will have to ensure that you apply for a new Aviation Document Booklet before the expiry date. The expiry date is found on page 1 of your current booklet.

Transport Canada recommends that new applications be submitted 90days prior to the expiry date.

Keep the current Booklet until you have received and reviewed the new Booklet. Due to licensing processes, the new Booklet may not show up-to-date licensing or medical certificate information.

If any residual validity period exists, keep the current Booklet along with the new Booklet to provide proof of meeting your licensing and medical requirements.
Hey this is pertinent to my situation! hmm that's bad I gotta work so I need my licence and it says that it will expire with my booklet.
hmm TC recommends applying 90 days prior to expiration. Well like I said my bad I had the wrong date of when I thought it expired. So I applied with 36 days remaining, hell TC aint that much of a gong show If I can get a passport in 24 hour heck there must be a solution perhaps ill get a tempo licence if it doesn't get to me by Feb 1

Oh but wait there is this lets read!
What happens if I urgently need documents to allow me to exercise the privileges of my licence or permit?

You will have to report the occurrence to your regional licensing office by submitting a declaration stating the circumstance of the occurrence and your circumstances.

The regional licensing office may provide a document granting temporary privileges for 90 days for the licence or permit on request. See Advisory Circular 400-001 for licensing fees associated with this request.
hmm fees? I thought it said up there no charge? So lets google Advisory Circular 400-001http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/o ... 01-474.htm

1.0 INTRODUCTION

This Advisory Circular (AC) is provided for information and guidance purposes. It may describe an example of an acceptable means, but not the only means, of demonstrating compliance with regulations and standards. This AC on its own does not change, create, amend or permit deviations from regulatory requirements, nor does it establish minimum standards.
1.1 Purpose

The purpose of this document is to describe the new Aviation Document Booklet. It also explains how licence and permit holders can obtain a booklet to replace their existing aviation documents, and how applicants for new licences or permits must proceed once the new Aviation Document Booklet is introduced.
1.2 Applicability

This document applies to holders of Canadian air traffic controller licences and flight crew licences and permits, as well as to Transport Canada licensing staff, and external delegates engaged in licensing activities.
1.3 Description of Changes

The schedule for converting Airline Transport and Commercial pilot licences into the New Aviation Document Booklet, has now changed from March 31, 2009 to December 31, 2009.

It is to be noted that this will not change other due dates in this project.
2.0 REFERENCES AND REQUIREMENTS
2.1 Reference Documents

It is intended that the following reference materials be used in conjunction with this document:

Part IV, Subpart 1 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs)—Flight Crew Permits, Licences and Ratings;
Part IV, Subpart 2 of the CARs—Air Traffic Controller Licences and Ratings.

2.2 Cancelled Documents

AC 400-001 Édition 02 – Aviation Document Booklet – dated 2008-11-10 (RDIMS # 4469568)
2.3 Definitions and Abbreviations

Not applicable.
3.0 BACKGROUND

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) conducted a security risk analysis of 50 federal documents and determined that current Canadian licences and medical certificates for flight crew and air traffic controllers fell into a high-risk category. The CBSA made recommendations to address the security-related risks in the Report on Document Integrity in the Government of Canada (2005).

Based on these recommendations, Transport Canada approved a new format for licences and permits used by flight crew and air traffic controllers. The new aviation documents will be in the form of a booklet that is very similar to the Canadian passport. The booklet complies with the CBSA security recommendations, International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) personnel licensing specifications (ICAO Annex 1) and ICAO standards for machine-readable travel documents (ICAO Doc 9303).
Beginning in 2008, and continuing until December 31, 2010, Transport Canada will schedule the replacement of existing licences and permits with the new Aviation Document Booklet. Once the new format is introduced, all new licence and permit applicants will be issued an Aviation Document Booklet.

4.0 THE NEW AVIATION DOCUMENT BOOKLET

The bilingual Aviation Document Booklet consolidates all Canadian flight crew and air traffic controller licensing documents into one document, and includes the holder’s photograph and other security features for positive authentication. The 24-page booklet is divided into three sections: Licence and Permit, Competency Record, and Medical Certification. Other licensing information is also provided throughout the booklet.

The booklet incorporates all of the document holder’s licensing information: licences, permits, ratings, medical certificates, medical renewals, competency records and language proficiency. The booklet will be valid for a number of years and will allow for multiple renewals of licences, permits and medical certificates throughout its validity period. The holder is not required to pay a fee for replacing existing documents with the booklet format; however, the current fee schedule for personnel licensing and training (see CAR 104, Schedule IV) remains in effect for applicants for new licences, permits ratings, and medical certificates.

During the validity period of the booklet, the status of individual licences, permits, ratings and medical certificates is likely to change. Adhesive labels, similar to stickers provided by many provinces for motor vehicle licence plate renewals, will be provided to reflect changes in licensing status. Labels will only be valid after being permanently affixed to the proper Aviation Document Booklet. Once labels are attached to the booklet, they cannot be removed without causing obvious damage to the booklet page or the label.
An interactive sample booklet can be found on the following Transport Canada Web site: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... s-3419.htm.

5.0 MOVING TOWARD THE NEW AVIATION DOCUMENT BOOKLET

Transport Canada will be phasing in the new booklet over a three-year period. Documents with the greatest potential for international use will be the priority.

Airline transport pilot licences and commercial pilot licences will be the first to be replaced with the booklet format. This process began in 2008. These licences along with Private pilot licences, air traffic controller licences and flight engineer licences will be replaced through 2009. The process will be completed when all permits and the remaining licences are replaced at the end of 2010.

Eventually, all holders of Canadian air traffic controller licences and flight crew licences and permits will be issued an Aviation Document Booklet containing their licences/permits.

Existing licence/permit holders will need to complete a brief application form to confirm personal information and submit a passport-style photograph for identification purposes. After submitting the application, a new Aviation Document Booklet will be mailed to the document holder.

Once the new format is introduced, all new licence and permit applicants will be issued an Aviation Document Booklet. Applicants will, in addition to the existing licence or permit application form, complete a brief application form to confirm personal information and submit a passport-style photograph for identification purposes. Shortly after submitting the application, a new Aviation Document Booklet will be mailed to the document holder.
Regional licensing offices will continue to administer all licensing action for flight crew and air traffic controllers.

6.0 SCHEDULE FOR REPLACING EXISTING DOCUMENTS

During the phase-in period, applications to replace existing licences or permits will not be accepted until the time established in the schedule for replacing those particular documents.

Holders of private pilot licences, airline transport pilot licences, commercial pilot licences, flight engineer licences, or air traffic controller licences are able to submit their application for a replacement Aviation Document Booklet now. Licences issued in the old format will expire by December 31, 2009, and must be replaced by then.

Holders of glider pilot licences, balloon pilot licences, pilot permits—gyroplane, pilot permits—recreational, or pilot permits—ultra-light aeroplane will be able to submit their application for a replacement Aviation Document Booklet starting January 1, 2010. Licences and permits issued in the old format will expire by December 31, 2010, and must be replaced by then.

Holders of more than one document should apply for a replacement Aviation Document Booklet by the earliest applicable deadline listed above to avoid the expiry of any of their documents. For example, an air traffic controller who also holds a balloon pilot licence and a commercial pilot licence should apply now and must have the replacement document by December 2009; a glider pilot who also holds a flight engineer licence should apply now and must have the replacement document by December 31, 2009.
Specific dates for the acceptance of the above-mentioned applications will be provided on the following Transport Canada Web site:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... s-3419.htm

7.0 ACTIONS BY EXISTING LICENCE/PERMIT HOLDERS TO OBTAIN AN AVIATION DOCUMENT BOOKLET

Replacing existing documents with a new Aviation Document Booklet requires existing document holders to complete four easy steps. The fourth step happens upon receipt of the new booklet.

Step 1:

Have a passport-style photograph taken by a commercial photographer in accordance with the specifications found on the following Transport Canada Web site:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... s-3419.htm.

Step 2:

Complete the Application for Aviation Document Booklet, form number 26-0726 (0804-01). This form is available on the following Transport Canada Web site: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... s-2294.htm, or from any Transport Canada licensing office.

As part of the application, the photograph submitted must be verified to ensure that it is actually a photograph of the applicant.

The photograph verifier may be one of the following:

a person who has a delegation of authority issued by the Minister of Transport to perform functions in support of civil aviation, such as an authorized person (AP) at a flight school or other commercial operator, a pilot examiner (PE), Authorised Examination Invigilator, Civil Aviation Medical Examiner, an approved check pilot, among others,

a Transport Canada Civil Aviation employee assigned these duties by a manager, or

a person who is considered to be an eligible guarantor pursuant to Passport Canada. See Passport Canada’s Web site for eligible passport guarantors: http://www.pptc.gc.ca/cdn/section2.aspx?lang=eng..

Note:

(i) When using the Passport Canada website please assume the words “Canadian licence holder” when reading the word “Canadians”.

(ii) Use only the following options from the provided drop down menu on the web site to help you to determine eligible guarantors (verifiers):

"Canadians living in Canada"

"Canadians living Abroad"

Step 3:

Submit the completed application form and the photograph to a Transport Canada Regional office. The addresses are located at: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... ng-478.htm

There is no charge for replacing existing aviation documents with the new booklet format.
Step 4:

Review the new Aviation Document Booklet immediately upon receipt to ensure that all the information contained in the booklet is correct. If all the information is correct, sign the booklet in the space provided on page 2. If any errors are present, inform a Transport Canada licensing office as soon as possible.

8.0 ACTIONS BY NEW APPLICANTS TO OBTAIN AN AVIATION DOCUMENT BOOKLET

Applicants for any new licence or permit must first meet all existing CAR requirements for licence or permit issue.

Obtaining a new Aviation Document Booklet requires new applicants to complete four easy steps. The fourth step happens upon receipt of the new booklet.

Step 1:

Have a passport-style photograph taken by a commercial photographer in accordance with the specifications found on the following Transport Canada Web site:

Step 2:

Complete the licence or permit application form (Application for Flight Crew Permits/Licences, form number 26-0194) and complete the application form for the new Aviation Document Booklet (Application for Aviation Document Booklet, form number 26-0726). These forms are available on the following Transport Canada Web site: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... s-2294.htm, or from any Transport Canada licensing office.

As part of the application, the photograph submitted must be verified to ensure that it is actually a photograph of the applicant.

The photograph verifier may be one of the following:

a person who has a delegation of authority issued by the Minister of Transport to perform functions in support of civil aviation, such as an authorized person (AP) at a flight school or other commercial operator, a pilot examiner (PE), Authorised Examination Invigilator, Civil Aviation Medical Examiner, an approved check pilot, among others,

a Transport Canada Civil Aviation employee assigned these duties by a manager, or

a person who is considered to be an eligible guarantor pursuant to Passport Canada. See Passport Canada’s Web site for eligible passport guarantors:
http://www.pptc.gc.ca/cdn/section2.aspx.

Note:

(i) When using the Passport Canada website please assume the words "Canadian licence holder" when reading the word "Canadians".

(ii) Use only the following options from the provided drop down menu on the web site to help you to determine eligible guarantors (verifiers):

"Canadians living in Canada"

"Canadians living Abroad"

Step 3:

Submit the completed application forms and the photograph to a Transport Canada regional office. The addresses are located at:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... ng-478.htm
Step 4:

Review the Aviation Document Booklet immediately upon receipt to ensure that all the information contained in the booklet is correct. If all the information is correct, sign the booklet in the space provided on page 2. If any errors are present, inform a Transport Canada licensing office as soon as possible.

9.0 CONTACT OFFICE

For more information, please contact your Transport Canada licensing office through the Web sites or addresses below:

Atlantic Region (New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Labrador)
Web site: Atlantic Region—Air Transport
95 Foundry Street, 6th floor
PO Box 42
Moncton, NB E1C 8K6
Telephone: 506-851-7131
Fax: 506-851-2563

Quebec Region (Quebec)
Web site: Quebec Region—Air Transport
700 Leigh Capréol, 2nd floor, Suite 2033,
Dorval QC H4Y 1G7
Telephone: 514-633-3863
Fax: 514-633-3585

Ontario Region (Ontario)
Web site: Ontario Region—Civil Aviation
4900 Yonge Street, Suite 400
Toronto, ON M2N 6A5
Telephone: 416-952-0215
Fax: 416-952-0196

Prairie and Northern Region (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut)
Web site: Prairie and Northern Region
344 Edmonton Street, 1st Floor
PO Box 8550
Winnipeg, MB R3C OP6
Telephone: 204-983-4341
Fax: 204-984-2069

Pacific Region - (British Columbia)
Web site: Pacific Region—Air
Transport Canada
800 Burrard Street, Suite 620
Vancouver, BC V6Z 2J8
Telephone: 604-666-5571
Fax: 604-666-3750
Suggestions for amendment to this document are invited, and should be submitted via the Transport Canada Civil Aviation Issues Reporting System (CAIRS) at the following Internet address:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CAIRS

or by e-mail at: CAIRS_NCR@tc.gc.ca

Signed by Arlo Speer for

Manzur Huq
Director,
General Aviation

Date modified:
2012-07-09
Well that was a whole lotta nothing ! Oh wait!
how many of you found it! ill highlight it above in red
The holder is not required to pay a fee for replacing existing documents with the booklet format;
then this:
however, the current fee schedule for personnel licensing and training (see CAR 104, Schedule IV) remains in effect for applicants for new licences, permits ratings, and medical certificates.

hmm WTF is this?

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regse ... a10404.htm

Issuance of a temporary licence, permit or medical certificate at the request of the applicant or holder $40

Shit my glass of scotch is empty time for a refill. Still can't find the section on 40 days only recommended 90 days. ( is that 90 calendar days or business days) So my licence expires so I need a licence to fly but im going to have to pay since If I want to be legal therefore I will be requesting it and since im requesting it I have to pay.

Ill keep digging.

hmm whats this!

lets check a few links in there
brings me to the above circular on one of them and another back to the FAQ and then another to the form you need to fill out with a link on it back to the above and in all this circle jerk of trying to wade through the TC bureaucracy it does not once mention that if you apply with less than 40 business days your subject to this $40 dollars.

Ah yes but you say above the Wizard of Oz posted you a link well ill be a son of a !#@!% I didnt think to go and check "transport Canada Civil Aviation Service Standards Activities (with and without charges)" manual what a page turner and no where did any of there cocked up department information on how to renew my licence did it direct me to take a look there or mention the 40 days or 40$ charge.
Diadem wrote:Also, an afterthought regarding expedited passports: you have that option for your pilot's licence. Hell, you used that option! You paid $40 and got a temporary one. How is that different from paying extra for an expedited passport?
here's a soft one right over the plate: the passport you get in 24 hours is permanent not some piece of blue paper you get it and bam you don't see service Canada for 10 years until you need a new one.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/p ... nu-521.htm

So as I stated in my opening post be warned of arbitrary fines, and I stand by my rant that TC needs a enema tube shoved south to north to restore some sanity to this bloated bureaucracy.

To sum up TC couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery, seriously 40 business days to scan a picture and hit print and add to the outgoing mail pile. If one government agency can do it in 24 hours so can this one.

gasbag1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gasbag1 »

Try this one, applied within the 90 days with all correct information…didn't get the application returned…good sign. Dec 18 enquired when I would receive my ADB, as it expires Jan.01. Inspector advises me the ADB was produced on Dec01, she advised me to wait a few days more. With Christmas, other holidays and weekends, advised I had not received my ADB and would need another one. Maybe lost in the mail who knows.

It is very important not to let your licence and privileges expire. So on Dec. 20 asked for a temporary licence and advise the person I would need a replacement for my yet to receive, NEW ADB. Total cost $80.00 for the licence and medical I needed, I have a few others as well, but a $40.00 per only those immediately required.

Jan.02 I get a new ADB in the mail and then on Jan. 06 I get the replacement ADB. So 17 days delivery time for the replacement and 32 days delivery time for the original and $80.00 to the Fed's. Did the post office store the original, did TC wait to mail the original until after Christmas, no one knows. I suggested they should send the ADB out by priority post or a more trackable secure method.

Good luck out there when you renew.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

The expiration date is clearly marked in the front of the book. 2 Seconds on Google sends you to where the relevant information is including direction to send in your renewal 90 days before. I sent in my renewal form at the approximate 90 day point and got my new license about 4 weeks later and did not pay anything.

Total time investment was 5 minutes to get a picture and 10 minutes filling in the simple form with my guarantor. By TC standards this is doing things at the speed of light.

There are lots of things TC has F*ucked up, but renewing the booklet is not IMO one of them. If you are too lazy to pay attention to the validity periods of your documents and do a minuscule amount of research on how to renew it then I really do not think you have a lot to whine about........

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

. wrote: Why is it I can head down to the passport office and say here's an extra couple of loonies and bam get an internationally recognized document in 24 hours? Are pilots licenses that much more difficult? all they did was hit print and out pops a piece of paper scribed with all the pertinent details. I'm no computer surgeon but I would imagine when they get my renewal they take my mugshot make sure the pimple faced kid down at the wall-mart stamped it on the back because lord knows he wouldn't lie to the government then some government worker making six figures with full pension and 6 weeks vacation jams it into a scanner and then hits print.

Wahammy out pops the first page for a little blue booklet and then some umpa lumpa jams a few more pages in and finishes it off with a staple gun. Holy jebus there Shamus that guy now can fly a plane up in de sky. Heck here is an idea take all those out of work fisherman they employed for the gun registry back east and say hold off on registering that Black and Decker gun and lets go make some pilots licence then go back on the pogey as per SOP.

I don't mean to go off on a rant about this but seriously how corrupted is the process at TC that this is the norm all over our great country.
[pretending-to-defend-Transport-shenanigans] The blue cover is made from special very secret materials, via a very difficult process at a facility purpose built just for that task.

You can't rush them like the plain black ones on a passport. [/pretending-to-defend-Transport-shenanigans]

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

.., I submitted my request to renew in November because I was worried about this kind of situation and am just getting processed so you truly cannot win. I probably won't have it in hand when it expires next month and will pay for a temporary too I bet.

Hiflyer2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hiflyer2 »

My advice to you if you really feel that strongly about the 40 dollar fine is not to worry about it. In all reality when was the last time you were ramped. I do show my licence regularly to US Customs. The booklet rarely leaves my hands and all they want too see is a valid medical.

If on the 2 in 16000 chances you get ramped, tell them you submitted your application some time ago, be polite, look concerned and beg forgiveness. Trust me the inspectors are all too familiar with the intricacies and workings of the CASO-SACO / Ottawa puzzle palace and I don't think you will have to big a problem on your hands.

Enforcement would have to violate you for breaking a CAR. I am not sure they could win on that one nor would they try.

IMHO

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

Where did you submit your's to? I got mine in under two weeks at the Toronto location. Granted I dropped it off in person, but quite a pleasant experience.

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

I dropped mine off in person as well that TC inspector was friendly and optimistic, maybe because I am out west and they have to courier it to the socialist republic of Manitoba for processing.

It's not like $40 bucks is a lot of money, i'm not some Sky Regional Captain, it's the principle of the matter. What grinds my gears is that no where does it state this magical 40 business days deadline to apply or you will be fined $40. If I had applied 40+ business days prior to expiration (Dec 3rd) and still had not received my booklet then they would print off a tempo licence for free. Yes it recommends 90 days prior to expiration but perhaps they should then throw in oh BTW if you don't do it 40 business days prior and you have yet to receive said licence in the mail by then you will be subject to a $40 fine to print off a blue piece of paper. Or just make it a hard 90 days prior and if you don't meet that deadline then bam $40 right off the bat and all the tempo licences are covered if they don't get it to you by then. Heck im going to go name a CFL franchise with thinking like that.

They took all that time to make a website with FAQs etc outlining the process, why not put it in there instead of nope it don't cost a thing. Heck put up a :

*-if you do not apply within 40 business days of the expiration date and have yet to receive your licence a temporary one will be issued at your expense of $40.

I think its time to have a chat with my local MP.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

I think we need to get 200+ pilots to agree to peacefully drop in at same location on a particular date after lunch to line up to renew the book.

FL001
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL001 »

Back in June, I applied for my booklet way earlier than the 90 day recommended renewal date specifically because I was going to be out of the country when my booklet expired (Dec 1st). I guess I was one of the first to do it. They had some questions about whether I was able to renew so early but they understood what the alternative was. I had my new booklet back 1 week later free of charge.

Return to “General Comments”