Condolences to the Friesen family

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6

Condolences to the Friesen family

Post by Hot Fuel »

My condolences, I'm reading on Facebook that Harvey Friesen has passed away.
---------- ADS -----------

toelessjoe
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Condolences to the Friesen family

Post by toelessjoe »

I have heard the same. Condolences to the Friesen family. Harvey was a gifted business man who did a lot for his community and the north.

Sidebar
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Sidebar »

Gone too soon.

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

My Most sincere condolences to Mrs. Friesen, and the boys Jason, Marcus & Kyle.

Harvey was indeed a gifted businessman but that was not where his talent began or ended. Many people know Harvey as the boss at The Bear and there were times when he read the riot act and everyone paid attention! But there was also a very gentle and kind side to Harvey that I was lucky enough to experience first hand.

Quick story about the man Harvey was... I had just finished my CPL and was about to start my Multi IFR. That same week is the week my flight school went bankrupt and I no longer had access to a twin for my training and went into panic mode. I had only 3 weeks before I had to be up north at my new 1st job, but wanted and needed my MIFR before I left. I didn't know what to do. Harvey`s son was a friend of mine and was also a huge support and encouragement through my CPL. He knew what was happening at my flight school and told Harvey the situation I was in. Harvey calls me at home, tells me I can use the Bearskin ATC810 sim as much as I want...and he will make an Aztec available for me for my training and flight test. I couldn't believe how generous and kind Harvey was being to this nobody person I was. I had nothing to offer him in return. He stood to gain nothing by helping me...but he helped me because that is the man he was. I passed my IFR ride in a Bearskin Aztec and then went north to work the next week. The kicker for me was when I went to pay Harvey for the aircraft, he had found out that I had lost the 5K I had on account at the flying school when they went bankrupt and he said, awwww forget it, its on me. I was in shock but grateful beyond words.

I stayed in touch with Harvey throughout my career and always updated him when I got a promotion or made a change. When my company bought our 1st King Air in 2003, Harvey provided me all the numbers for the King Air, costs per hour, and general information to assist me with the purchase and transition for our op from a 703 to 704 op.

Yes, Harvey could lose his temper when someone opened the door to the hanger at -40 for no good reason. That is not who Harvey really was though. He was a king hearted gentleman that I will never forget the kindness he showed me in my life and my career. Thank you for everything Harvey. I would never be where I am today without your mentoring and guidance throughout my career.

Rest in peace sir. You earned it.
Gone but never forgotten.

J. Smith
Formerly CYQT

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Very sad news. Huge loss for Aviation in Canada. I worked for Harvey many times since 1978 as an engineer and later as a pilot. I left the Bear many times but was always welcomed back. A good friend and a great guy to work for. Hadn't seen Harv for a number of years so rode my bike to Sioux Lookout for a visit this summer. We sat on his dock and chatted about the good old days of Bearskin, the Dc-3 days, the float operation days, the Big Trout base days. So glad I have that memory now. Rest in peace my friend.

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

FTB ..... I recall the IFR flight test on that Aztec very clearly ...... and the advice I gave at the end of the ride. LOL

Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

flyinthebug wrote:My Most sincere condolences to Mrs. Friesen, and the boys Jason, Marcus & Kyle.

Harvey was indeed a gifted businessman but that was not where his talent began or ended. Many people know Harvey as the boss at The Bear and there were times when he read the riot act and everyone paid attention! But there was also a very gentle and kind side to Harvey that I was lucky enough to experience first hand.

Quick story about the man Harvey was... I had just finished my CPL and was about to start my Multi IFR. That same week is the week my flight school went bankrupt and I no longer had access to a twin for my training and went into panic mode. I had only 3 weeks before I had to be up north at my new 1st job, but wanted and needed my MIFR before I left. I didn't know what to do. Harvey`s son was a friend of mine and was also a huge support and encouragement through my CPL. He knew what was happening at my flight school and told Harvey the situation I was in. Harvey calls me at home, tells me I can use the Bearskin ATC810 sim as much as I want...and he will make an Aztec available for me for my training and flight test. I couldn't believe how generous and kind Harvey was being to this nobody person I was. I had nothing to offer him in return. He stood to gain nothing by helping me...but he helped me because that is the man he was. I passed my IFR ride in a Bearskin Aztec and then went north to work the next week. The kicker for me was when I went to pay Harvey for the aircraft, he had found out that I had lost the 5K I had on account at the flying school when they went bankrupt and he said, awwww forget it, its on me. I was in shock but grateful beyond words.

I stayed in touch with Harvey throughout my career and always updated him when I got a promotion or made a change. When my company bought our 1st King Air in 2003, Harvey provided me all the numbers for the King Air, costs per hour, and general information to assist me with the purchase and transition for our op from a 703 to 704 op.

Yes, Harvey could lose his temper when someone opened the door to the hanger at -40 for no good reason. That is not who Harvey really was though. He was a king hearted gentleman that I will never forget the kindness he showed me in my life and my career. Thank you for everything Harvey. I would never be where I am today without your mentoring and guidance throughout my career.

Rest in peace sir. You earned it.
Gone but never forgotten.

J. Smith
Formerly CYQT
That is a cool story flyinthebug - thanks for sharing.
It's nice to know there are still people like that in the world. A good lesson for us all.
Cheers

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

single_swine_herder wrote:FTB ..... I recall the IFR flight test on that Aztec very clearly ...... and the advice I gave at the end of the ride. LOL
I remember your advice very clearly ol friend...and took it!! :)

Phlyer, thank you. As NWONT pointed out, Harvey was truly a great and generous man who enjoyed shooting the sh*t about flying, fishing, and aviation in general. A great loss to aviation and his many friends... and especially his family.

2.5milefinal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 2.5milefinal »

Like a lot of pilots in Canada I worked for Harvey. It was a good time in my life. My condolences to the Friesen Family.
...good story flyinthebug

Opinions cant be proven false.
Baron
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Baron »

I have known Harvey since the sixties when he was rolling 45s around in two feet of mud to gas his airplane at Big Trout Lake. He and his wife and family have always been dedicated to the North and service to the Native people who lived in the remote communities. He was a hard worker who only got to enjoy 30 days of retirement....what a shame. My heart goes out to his family.
I sold my business at Thunder Bay to Harvey in 1979. There are many pilots, on this site, that owe their careers to the opportunity that Harvey provided to them.
From the poem of John Magee, " High Flight" I quote,
" The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."
Rest in peace, my friend.
Fritz

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Well said Fritz. I worked for Bearskin during this transition. It's not often that you consider your employer your friend but that is sure how I felt. Harvey and Anna lived in Big Trout, not just passing though. I well remember when they wanted to cancel The Ft Severn sked because it was a money loser but kept it going just to provide a service to people who needed it. He gave so much to those communities and I'm sure the Elders won't forget. What a sad day.

brownbear
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brownbear »

Don't be disgruntled....move on!
Mach7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mach7 »

I worked for Harvey from '79 to '86 following the sale of On Air Limited...(In fact we operated out of Thunder Bay under the Operating Certificate of 'On Air (1979) Limited for a bunch of years).

A couple of stories...when I was 19 years old I flew the Aztec full time on Charter...but the next step was the Navajo. When some of the guys in Thunder Bay were getting there checkouts...Harvey did some of the training and I went along on one such occasion.

For those of you who received there Pilots licence in the last 20 years, it might be hard for you to understand...but the Navajo was the Aircraft we all salivated over, so when Harvey let me come along on the training flight, I was more than happy.

After about an hour or so, he kicked the other Pilot out of the seat and asked me if I wanted to "give her a try". Although It was some time later that I got to fly it full time, it was a nice gesture on his part to burn the company fuel to indulge the desires of a young Pilot.

Some time later I had the occasion to fly Harvey up to Sioux Lookout on a ferry flight following his meetings in Thunder Bay. On one dark night, I was high on final and decided to 'go around' and try it again. I was new on the Navajo and thought for sure he was going to read me the riot act.

Harvey just sat there and let me work out this situation for myself.....he didn't say a word , (which scared the crap out of me as I just saw him the week before go from 0 to 100 when one of the Maint. guys ran the wing tip of the Saunders into a Single Otter)!

After I put the Aircraft to bed, he gave me a few constructive pointers on doing night landings with no visual guidance...all very constructive... and told me that I did the right thing by not trying to 'save' a bad situation. I think he was just happy I didn't throttle back and shock cool the hell out of his engines!

Harvey was someone that you had respect for when he walked into the Hanger. He was a hard worker and expected the same of his employees.

Harvey will be missed by all.

RIP my friend

j.friesen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by j.friesen »

I just want to say thank you to everyone for the kind words and great memories in this difficult time. Every bit helps. Considering the circumstances, our family is doing well and all of the support that we have received has made a big difference. Services for my Father will be in YXL on February 27th at the Legion from 1100 to 1400.

Thanks again,

Jason

Return to “General Comments”