US Pilot Shortage

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

US Pilot Shortage

Post by Panama Jack »

So, I'm just going to say what has been on my mind over the last few days . . .

With all of the articles and the US Regional Airlines screaming about a pilot shortage and having to curtail their plans, I wonder whether they will be petitioning the Immigration and Naturalization Service to add pilots onto the list of professionals in short supply. Or, given the pilot licensing agreement with Canada, an opening through NAFTA?
---------- ADS -----------

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: US Pilot Shortage

Post by co-joe »

I'm sure they'll do whatever it takes to keep from having to pay a livable wage.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

I think the NAFTA angle is a valid point, I've seen it happen with enough professions in the same scenario. Just depends if there would be a group willing to push it and wether or not there would be a group willing to strongly oppose it.

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

As much as I don't like some of their antics ALPA had a pretty strong voice in DC.

Also, my company is parking 27 airplanes and moving the crews to te E170's because they can't staff them(attract new hires). Also, we have a TA miraculously after 7 years of negotiating.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Nark wrote:As much as I don't like some of their antics ALPA had a pretty strong voice in DC.

Also, my company is parking 27 airplanes and moving the crews to te E170's because they can't staff them(attract new hires). Also, we have a TA miraculously after 7 years of negotiating.

If the wage were $250,000/yr could they staff them? You bet.
But it's not. This means the wage is too low. How about somewhere in between.
The market is saying meh for paying $xx,000 in training and education costs (haven't checked Embry recently...) for 20k salary in return

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

:evil:

Posted 02/28/2014 07:06 PM ET
There is a sufficient pool of qualified pilots from which regional airlines can draw, but the low pay being offered may be contributing to the trouble those carriers are having in hiring enough pilots, according to a Gov't Accountability Office report. It noted that the average starting salary for a new co-pilot at a regional airline is $22,400 a year. While 11 of 12 regional airlines fell short of hiring targets for entry-level pilots last year, none of the major carriers had such problems. Regional carriers account for half of domestic flights.

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:

Return to “General Comments”