The ideal pilot job

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, I WAS Birddog

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: The ideal pilot job

Post by Nark »

My ideal job would be to fly for an airline, and also fly for the military in a reserve fashion. Perhaps the National Guard, say in a UH-60M Blackhawk.
---------- ADS -----------

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Outlaw58
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Outlaw58 »

After 29 years in the military (about to retire), let's just say that the bar is freaking high for my next job.

What would make me really happy is a corporate gig (604 type operation) where I would alternate between flying private jets to all parts of the world and flying a helicopter to fishing camps and stuff.

Yeah, I'd be happy with that :)

JP

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

I flew corporate and fly for 'the airlines'. Biggest advantage is having a schedules knowing your days off in advance and not living life on a constant on-call basis. I get a lot of time off, 23 vacation days annually and work 14-15 days month, can't complain about quality of life.

ant_321
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ant_321 »

The job I have now at a 704 outfit with my next months sched (2 days work) and 5x the pay.

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

ThatArmyGuy wrote:
trampbike wrote:In my opinion, flying for these guys would be the ideal job... for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwjOURuvz70

Being an assaulter would far outweigh flying a herc or a griffon.... I'd toss my licence away in a heartbeat.
Well, unless you are a very high ranking member (LCol/MWO and higher IRRC), anyone who is MOC qualified -in any trade- can apply. :wink:

Think ahead or fall behind!
Outlaw58
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Outlaw58 »

ant_321 wrote:The job I have now at a 704 outfit with my next months sched (2 days work) and 5x the pay.
Interesting answer.

Not saying that it is not a good job, hell I'd sign up for that kind of gig. But is that an ideal pilot job?

I am flying for the military at the moment and I absolutely LOVE getting up in the morning to go to work. Ok not always, but more often then not, I get up on Monday morning thinking freaking awesome, I am going flying today!!! That`s why IMHO, an ideal pilot job should at least incorporate some kind of flying that makes you happy. Not saying the money isn't important, but I respectfully don't think it should be the primary factor for making a job "ideal"

As I mentioned before, I am about to retire, not because of the job, but because I want to relocate and at this point in my life, that has become more important for my family than the actual job. I can only hope I will find another job in my new location that is going to keep me this happy.

my 2 cents

JP

justbud
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by justbud »

I'm looking forward to my flying career in the military.

I was more than happy with my infantry career before this.

I'd be thrilled to make this a lifetime gig, or get out and go mainline after I've served my time. Based on my personal relationships, I know both have their pros and cons and it's hard to compare the two at face value.

dahspeers
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dahspeers »

My ideal flying job? Piston Beaver, rich clients.

Winter time, freight, at night. Don't care what I fly, just like flying/working at night.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Nobody can answer this question because it is subjective. Different personalities, experiences, and aspirations make career choices something else to everyone.

From my personal experience, I did not feel that airlines were a good choice--even though I started out in this industry with that as a goal. The long waits, low pay, and poor schedules would not have worked with me as a family man, though I know many others who have made it work out.

A military career might have been cool too.... but I was automatically exempted because of my vision and I did not want to get it corrected. As I have grown in years... the idea of killing people (or enabling the killing of people) based on orders that go against my personal convictions is not something I could live with. Given that today is the 52nd anniversary of the Independence Palace Bombings just reminds me that many allies of the West have less than perfect human rights records.

I would have loved to do floats and the float fittings I am welding onto my plane will hopefully be used one day for recreational float flying. But again, I couldn't get past that barrier of going to the middle of nowhere to work on a dock for no money to maybe get a flying job wasn't going to happen.

Of course, Colonel Sanders probably has one of the best flying 'jobs' on here.... and I hope that perhaps experience and opportunity will allow me to pursue a portion of that type of flying in the future.

So choices and fate gave me the job I have now.... flying little wheeled Cessnas VFR in the mountains. It pays surprisingly well. It is surprisingly stable--it has outlasted legions of 'mainline' airlines and all of the charter companies in the area. It gives me several months of time off in the winter. It gives me a schedule which lets me see my kids off to school every morning and partake in all of their activities and events.

The flying itself is really fun.... primarily because most of the people I am flying are there to fly. Flying isn't a means to an end, it is the end. Even the wildlife and forestry contracts I have are done with people for which flying is a perk of their job.

What I love about it is that it isn't rigidly structured and very little of it is point to point. If there is something cool to check out.... we check it out, and there are tons of cool things here in eastern BC.

Here's iflyforpie lake..... brand new in the Summer of '13.

Here's a prettier lake, named after a more famous individual with the last name O'Hara

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Love that last shot! You really do need to contribute more in the pics from a swamper thread :)

Return to “General Comments”