The ideal pilot job

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

The ideal pilot job

Post by garfield »

The more I fly, the more I think that flying big iron isn't what will makes you happy as a pilot... At the first place it's certainly fantastic to fly a 737 but in the long run I think you'll finish as bored as the guy flying his 172.

I only see two advantages flying for the mainline : you fly a heavy aircraft (ATC calls you by xyz543 HEAVY and people are impress when you told them you're an airline pilot, it's good for your EGO), and you go to interesting destinations (Rome and Miami at the place of Inuvik and Churchill...)

But there's a lot of disadvantages : low pay (at least the first ten years as a F/O), never home for holidays or home few days a month unless you're on top of seniority list (when you have white hair????), you can hardly fly the aircraft and in the future i'm sure you will not fly it at all.

I have two question :
-For you, what's the ideal pilot job?
-What's your pick (for the same salary) between captain on 737 (never home, SOP's forbid you to fly manually the aircraft) or flying a 152 for patrol monday to friday 6 hours a day let's say 20 minutes away from your hometown?
---------- ADS -----------

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: The ideal pilot job

Post by xchox »

The dream is winning the lottery, buying a nice Cessna M2, and flying around the world like it's just one big vacation.

Realistically, flying the big iron isn't really that bad. Sure... Your not home for holidays, the pay is shit, but this is what you've been dreaming of your whole life. If you've always wanted to be there, nothing will stop you from enjoying it.

Sure, you'll have those "@#$! this shit... I'm out!" days... everyone has those whether your a burger flipper at McDonalds or Richard Branson running Virgin Group.

Do you honestly believe flying that 152 patrol, your not going to have those days where you want to suck on a shotgun? Your sadly mistaken.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other!

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I used to quite enjoy ferrying. Always something new, and different, and a new place to go. Generally, clients were reasonable about schedule. The odd time, you get a defective plane, but I always got it handled okay.

I enjoy design approval test flying in small doses, but I can imagine that, like anything, if you were pounding away at it every day, it could get boring.

I did not enjoy corporate flying, lots of waiting around, and some of the people in the back could be pretty inconsiderate. Pilots are still people!

frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by frozen solid »

Before I answer your question: Are either the 737 or the 152 on floats? 'Cause if not, I'm out.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

frozen solid wrote:Before I answer your question: Are either the 737 or the 152 on floats? 'Cause if not, I'm out.
I'm happiest when flying floats myself.

hahaha you know what they called the cessna where I used to work? The penalty box!

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Retired - best job I ever had!!!

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

If floats weren't seasonal (in Canada anyway), that's what I would be doing.

Plan B is to get rich one day and buy my own floatplane to go fishing with :)

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

In my opinion, flying for these guys would be the ideal job... for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwjOURuvz70

Think ahead or fall behind!
frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by frozen solid »

Agreed. That looks kick-ass. Oh, to be young again. (And not lazy)

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Hey Garfield, flying for an airline may not make YOU happy, but it suits me, and thousands of other pilots just fine. I still bomb around in piston singles from time to time. I regularly attend private and commercial ground schools at my old flight school, and often hop in and teach them for the fun of it. I love attending airshows, and hopefully will get involved in aerobatics in some form in the near future. I have an appreciation for all things aviation. I can see pro's and con's of every type of flying. Somethings I LIKE about the airlines include the travel, the job security (If you fly for mainline), and believe it or not, the systems operating. That's right, I enjoy managing the machine as much as I enjoy hand flying it. There seems to be some serious contempt on this forum for people who manage the airplane instead of fly it. To each his own I guess. I get my fix of both regularly and I'm quite content with the lifestyle. I have chosen to make a career out of my passion. I'm not passionate about my career. It's not about the race to the biggest, fastest, newest airplane so I can put on a nifty uniform and boast to all my friends that I'm an airline pilot. Its about finding the type of flying that will give you the most enjoyment out of life. Airline flying does that for me. Hopefully you'll find your cherry corner of the industry and enjoy your career soon! I would suggest not relying on the industry to provide everything you want out of life, but instead, look for what you want out of life, and manage career moves accordingly.

Cheers!
PR

black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by black hole »

I think the best gig in flying is somewhere, where there is variety. Some charter, some shed, going different places, and in a variety of planes.

BH

PS: and , getting paid more than your worth

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Floats / bush flying in summer, some multi time on skis in winter. Instructing on the side.

Without spending a year on the dock without flying :smt008

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
BusDriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BusDriver »

Since when did a '37 become a heavy???? I agree with you though, enjoy what you do or do something else... I pretend I am flying a beech 18 during the last 400'. Makes you feel like a Pilot again......

Pierre Maguire should have his larnyx ripped out! IDIOT!
trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

garfield wrote: -What's your pick (for the same salary) between captain on 737 (never home, SOP's forbid you to fly manually the aircraft) or flying a 152 for patrol monday to friday 6 hours a day let's say 20 minutes away from your hometown?
Second choice, not hesitation.

Think ahead or fall behind!
beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Pounding a Beaver year around on the left coast. The rain, The wind, The turbulence, The swells, The debris, The Boats, The whales, The wonderful passengers (which you actually get to know), a great airplane and home every night, weather permitting, and if that isn't enough, the mildest climate in Canada. Been doing that for twenty seven years and flying BC for forty six. :wink:
Bob

And I almost forgot to add The fog, and the drizzle.

Last edited by beaverbob on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

PositiveRate27 wrote:Hey Garfield, flying for an airline may not make YOU happy, but it suits me, and thousands of other pilots just fine. I still bomb around in piston singles from time to time. I regularly attend private and commercial ground schools at my old flight school, and often hop in and teach them for the fun of it. I love attending airshows, and hopefully will get involved in aerobatics in some form in the near future. I have an appreciation for all things aviation. I can see pro's and con's of every type of flying. Somethings I LIKE about the airlines include the travel, the job security (If you fly for mainline), and believe it or not, the systems operating. That's right, I enjoy managing the machine as much as I enjoy hand flying it. There seems to be some serious contempt on this forum for people who manage the airplane instead of fly it. To each his own I guess. I get my fix of both regularly and I'm quite content with the lifestyle. I have chosen to make a career out of my passion. I'm not passionate about my career. It's not about the race to the biggest, fastest, newest airplane so I can put on a nifty uniform and boast to all my friends that I'm an airline pilot. Its about finding the type of flying that will give you the most enjoyment out of life. Airline flying does that for me. Hopefully you'll find your cherry corner of the industry and enjoy your career soon! I would suggest not relying on the industry to provide everything you want out of life, but instead, look for what you want out of life, and manage career moves accordingly.

Cheers!
PR
+1

Your question is loaded. It has too many assumptions. I have wanted to fly airliners my whole life. Now that I do, I love it. Not every minute, but more often then not.

I think I'd also rather be a cruise ship captain than an off shore race boat driver (as a career). Different strokes.

I got my fill of hand flying a metro no a/p no flight dir for 3000 hrs. Where i am at now there is no sop that prevents us from hand flying should we choose to. Airmanship will dictate that.

frozen solid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by frozen solid »

PositiveRate27 wrote: There seems to be some serious contempt on this forum for people who manage the airplane instead of fly it.
No,no you don't understand. There's contempt for people who manage the the airplane and disguise the fact that they don't know how to fly it. It's different. Those people are out there. The public is becoming aware of them. I defend "airline" pilots all the time when people ask me about this. I tell them it's not true, we all still know how to fly, don't be ridiculous. Of course I'm lying. When a guy kills people because he can't fly, and other guys try to defend him by saying "that plane isn't meant to be hand flown", it brings shame on our entire industry. If you're not one of those guys then carry on. There isn't anything to be offended about.

I personally would love to fly a large jet. I love what I do too. Aviation is awesome no matter what you do, as long as you try not to be douche-ey about it. Even helicopters!!!

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

trampbike wrote:In my opinion, flying for these guys would be the ideal job... for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwjOURuvz70

Being an assaulter would far outweigh flying a herc or a griffon.... I'd toss my licence away in a heartbeat.

planett
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by planett »

I get to fly a small business jet into some large airports and some short gravel runways. As far as automation is concerned, we have to master both auto-flight and hand flying, it's not one or the other, it's both. If or when unrealistic restrictions on hand flying are issued, I will do as I have done through my career, I will risk my career and fight it. Automation isn't good enough yet. Use judgement and experience to decide when each method is appropriate.

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

Old fella wrote:Retired - best job I ever had!!!
+1

Return to “General Comments”