Debt-ridden Wasaya Airways in ‘danger of collapsing’

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Debt-ridden Wasaya Airways in ‘danger of collapsing’

Post by Doc »

crazy_aviator wrote:Frozen solid, A very commendable reply and true in totality ! :D
+1

However, coupled with the other thread currently active, I wouldn't be in a mad dash to fork out bond money for a training agreement right now....
---------- ADS -----------

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

frozen solid wrote: I find the glee some people take in adopting a see-I-told-you-so attitude towards their business failings to be a little distasteful.
It seems there is a lot of pent up anger on this topic, and it is also apparent that people are piling on allegations without proof, and that is damaging considering the exposure this company the individuals involved have had. I was willing to let this be discussed, but this is not a discussion. Topic closed for now, perhaps I'll edit and reopen it in a few days when people cool off a bit.

stl
See thats what the moderator posted during the Swanberg bankruptcy. No consideration for the exposure of the company individuals at Wasaya I suppose. Call them drunks and thieves then wonder why they cant get a good job after. How about giving them a fraction of the consideration you gave the guys at Swanberg instead of convicting them due to association by ethnicity.

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

azimuthaviation wrote: What is it that bothers you? Is it the scale? Anybody remember when Swanberg Air had a very public, messy, disastrous end a few years ago? AvCanada looked like a goddamn funeral! Nothing but sympathy for their plight, no suggestion of any improper financials by their directors, just a sad story of a great airline, run by a bunch of great guys that couldnt make it due to no fault of their own.
This is a definition of "no fault of their own" I was not previously aware of. Don't get me wrong, I loved Swanberg, flew them every 2 weeks for over 8 months, but you cannot run an airline like a trucking company. Their failure was 100% the fault of Swanberg's management inadequate performance.

LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure
flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

When PD left Wasaya the company was in the black and bills were being paid. Since his departure in 2006, things have continually gone downhill. As a former manager at this airline I can speak directly to the amount of money that is wasted and the lack of effort put into getting well paying contracts. After PD left, we lost 3 contracts to 3 communities and I knew the Chief at two of the reserves. I asked if they wanted me to fly up and have a meeting with them and see if we could regain their trust and get the job done for them. I was told that negotiating contracts was above my pay grade and to leave that to senior management. If a company loses 3 contracts in a week and approx. 1.5 Mill in revenue, you would think that company would do anything possible to get those contracts back...instead I was told to sit down and shut up.

I sincerely believe that Wasaya has been going downhill since PD`s departure and this email is just confirmation. Its not a native problem, its a management problem. They have people in positions they have no business being in and thus bad decisions from the senior management became the norm. The company president is simply not tuned in to what his airline is doing and always seemed to turn a blind eye to problems. When your leader refuses to deal with problems, shit flows downhill. If the president doesn't care, why should the middle managers?

I loved my time at Wasaya and I sincerely hope they find their way out of this mess without it costing the taxpayer too much $$$. They have some very good people, pilots, and provide a service that no one else does (since the Bear sold them their routes)...so for those reasons I hope Wasaya survives. In order to do so, they are going to have to make some tough decisions about their leadership. IMHO.

Fly safe all.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

If they do survive, it should be WITHOUT ANY tax payer money. Tax payers have been keeping shit shows like this afloat for years, due mainly to political pressure brought on by the people who happen to own the business! Let them sink or swim on their own. They made their bed....sleep in it! Perhaps they should be run by a receiver till they get back on their feet. Nothing short of a complete flushing of the management toilet should be acceptable. Guess what? It's a business! Collect debts BEFORE extending credit! Business 101!
:bear: :bear:

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

FTB -- good post -- I think you pretty much hit it on the head -- how often over the years have I seen similar situations arise in other airlines -- some have survived (northern carriers seem to be able) some haven't --

Wasaya has a tough road ahead -- fallen into the pit of needing to replace aging aircraft and lacking the capital to do so -- also now there is competition nipping at their heals -- Bearskin --likely back into key communities -- Perimeter doing the same and Calm Air and Private Air (Cargo North) are there as well -- no injection of money -- no matter how much will fix them unless there management team to go along with it -- I for one hope that they cant get their sh1t together -- no one wants to see fellow pilots out of work because of poor management and greed --

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

Someone remind me who's financially accountable + in charge of the books at Wasaya?

Can someone tell me how much Tom Morris has contributed to the "company" , if you want to call it that?

Some great people working there as well as some lower than dirt disgusting vile human parasites.

Azimuth, call it what you want. A spade a is a spade.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

Gravol wrote:
Some great people working there as well as some lower than dirt disgusting vile human parasites.

Azimuth, call it what you want. A spade a is a spade.
As usual, the parasites run the show!

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

LC brings up a very valid point. They really need to replace what's left of their Hawker "fleet". You can only go to New Zealand so often for engine work and still maintain some viability. What are they down to, two? The 1900's are cycling out at a great rate, and the PC12 uses "Swiss Made" Rolex parts, which after they're out of warranty, require the Crown Jewels to maintain. If they have five reserves into them for 200K each.....well, they need to very aggressively pursue that million dollars, or so.
Methinks their ship is taking on water faster than the pumps can bail it out. It shall be an interesting future for Wasaya indeed. Perhaps a short one?

X-Savior
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by X-Savior »

pretty much all of their PC12's have already been mothballed in YQT about 6 weeks ago.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

convicting them due to association by ethnicity
I realize you are desperate to make this a racism issue just like you try with every other topic you chime in on, but please just stop. No one has said that the issues faced by Wasaya are a result of key people being Aboriginal. All that has been suggested is that key people are corrupt and/or incompetent which has nothing to do with ethnicity. You really should stop trying to reinforce the idea that Aboriginals are some sort of Canadian sacred cow that must never have any sort of negative spotlight cast in their direction. Your blind eye, walking on eggshells mentality is exactly what has helped some corrupt Aboriginal leaders successfully fleece their own already impoverished people.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

shimmydampner wrote:
convicting them due to association by ethnicity
I realize you are desperate to make this a racism issue just like you try with every other topic you chime in on, but please just stop. No one has said that the issues faced by Wasaya are a result of key people being Aboriginal. All that has been suggested is that key people are corrupt and/or incompetent which has nothing to do with ethnicity. You really should stop trying to reinforce the idea that Aboriginals are some sort of Canadian sacred cow that must never have any sort of negative spotlight cast in their direction. Your blind eye, walking on eggshells mentality is exactly what has helped some corrupt Aboriginal leaders successfully fleece their own already impoverished people.
Who are you talking to?

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

I had quoted Azimuth

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

shimmydampner wrote:I had quoted Azimuth
Okay. I hears you then. Have no idea where he's coming from either.

Sidebar
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Sidebar »

shimmydampner wrote:All that has been suggested is that key people are corrupt and/or incompetent
The way I read it is that some customers, who also happen to be shareholders, have not paid their accounts. Where incompetence comes in is the company management continuing to do business with customers who don't pay their bills.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Sidebar wrote:
shimmydampner wrote:All that has been suggested is that key people are corrupt and/or incompetent
The way I read it is that some customers, who also happen to be shareholders, have not paid their accounts. Where incompetence comes in is the company management continuing to do business with customers who don't pay their bills.
BINGO. If you're stupid enough to keep flying the pop, chips and Pampers, to folks who don't pay their bills, you deserve to go TU!

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

No one has said that the issues faced by Wasaya are a result of key people being Aboriginal.
Really?
Different rules apply when the ownership is as it is.
T.C. will not be shutting down a native owned operation . It wouldn't matter how much of a fustercluck was going on there.
Im not gonna spell it out either but anyone see any similarities to this story?

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/sear ... 9080637001

*you can skip the first 2 minutes if youre not a fan of ezra
I'll let you guess what the content of the Ezra Levant video is. Hint: its not about "people are corrupt and/or incompetent which has nothing to do with ethnicity" It has everything to do with ethnicity. Can you tell me why that is relevent to this story if it has nothing at all to do with the owners being Native?

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

None of those statements nor the video are disparaging to Aboriginals. They simply point out the reality that government has an unfortunate tendency to treat them as a sacred cow as opposed to equal citizens.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

FWIW 2nd hand rumour is that the fuel supplier is about to demand payment on delivery to the aircraft ........

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

Ever seen the rat funnels they put on mooring/dock lines? Best turn then around to keep the rats ON this ship!
COD for fuel is the beginning of the end......usually.

Return to “General Comments”