Private lease of US registered aircraft?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KnownIce
Rank 3
Rank 3

Private lease of US registered aircraft?

Post by KnownIce »

Have seen lots of US registered aircraft in Canada presumably owned in many cases by Canadians, but was wondering if anyone has experience as a Canadian, leasing an N-registered aircraft from an American owner, for private use in Canada. Say for a 1-2 year term.

Are there any tax, insurance, etc. catches for an arrangement like this? Maintenance issues with respect to standards, documentation, or who can sign off any repairs? Any minimum period of time it must be operated in the United States during the lease period?

Could not find any info on this from the perspective of the private owner/lessee, so would appreciate the opinion of anyone who's pursued this before. Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Private lease of US registered aircraft?

Post by Doc »

I do know you need a Yank licence. A PPL will do. Imagine the rest is up to you and your insurance company.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Don't see why you need a US licence. Canadian licence holders can fly US aircraft within Canada.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
B52
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by B52 »

That's a rather long document.
If you know it, what a pity you can't just quote the appropriate paragraph.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I just found it online; chapter 5 is for Canadian operators leasing foreign registered aircraft. It's clearly directed at commercial operators, but it might have some relevance.

In the OP's position I'd be contacting TC. Perhaps he is in the process of doing that, and if so I hope he tells us what they say.

Actually. I don't think that document is helpful after all - CAR 203.02(2) says 203.02 doesn't apply to private aircraft.

Going further, this page:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... t-5522.htm
says that an aircraft under lease must be re-registered by the lessee. That makes sense- the registered owner is the one with custody and control, and that would be the lessee. So you might have to re-register the aircraft under a Canadian tail number.

Last edited by photofly on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
tractor747
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tractor747 »

So there shouldn't be an issue to lease an aircraft from countries other than the US for commercial operations in Canada.

Has anybody been not granted the authority to lease .

KnownIce
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by KnownIce »

Thanks for the replies. Never really thought of this or heard of it for private aircraft until I saw an ad for leasing a few small private aircraft (a cherokee and an RV I think) in the USA recently and it caught my interest as to what the issues might be to bring it here. As posted above all the guidance on this seems to apply to commercial/business operations. Not in any hurry to move forward on this but if I learn more from TC I'll post here, just thought I'd grab the quick advice of anyone here if they'd been down this road before.

I_Heart_Seaplanes
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I_Heart_Seaplanes »

Please keep us posted on how you make out. This is actually something I was thinking about a few days ago myself. I need to start chipping away at those night hours for the A's, and thought a private lease or block time in the US would be a cheaper way to go.

If you're gonna to be dumb, you gotta be tough
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It looks like leasing comes with all the disadvantages of ownership: mandatory re-registration on the Canadian register, full Canadian maintenance obligations, as well as repainting the new registration (or applying a permanent decal).

Return to “General Comments”