WestJet Captain receives passenger's sexist note

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: WestJet Captain receives passenger's sexist note

Post by Brown Bear »

cdnpilot77 wrote:
Brown Bear wrote:Congratulations on keeping the dumbest thread EVER alive and well.
Do we need this schlock?
Who cares?
:bear: :bear:

Thank you, I knew you would get a kick out of that. You were not required to continue reading the thread though. Carry on. :lol:
That was aimed at everybody...not you!
:bear: :bear:
---------- ADS -----------

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
Sleeve of Wizard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sleeve of Wizard »

Thanks ahramin.

At the very least this news coverarage will show all the other people who have never heard of female pilots that they actually do exist.

I must say that the note that "David" left is not at all shocking. Things like this happen all the time.

I find it slightly odd that it happens to get a bunch of media attention on Women in Aviation Week.

learcapt
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by learcapt »

While I agree that whoever wrote this was a misinformed idiot, the right thing to do would have been to read it, have a laugh and toss it in the trash...why go to the media??

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

Ya but that note is Green seal certified and made from 100% recycled material.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

This may not be a "happy guest" but WJ and their Captain gets 100% sympathy votes and therefore this is another PR coup for WJ. They do know how to play the media!

On a side note I had something similar happen to a Captain I was with. The passenger though didn't leave a note but the dick head stuck his head in the flight deck to make his comment prior to deplaning. I wanted to punch the sexist prick when I realized what he had said but what does that prove. FA got the parting shot and the Captain brushed it off like a champ.

For the record I don't want my daughters to be pilots not for their gender but for what the profession has become.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

+1 Ahramin,

I must say I was somewhat offended at the note until I saw the (unintentional) ironic Bible reference which made me laugh.

Excerpt from the Good Book:
...worketh willingly with her hands...she bringeth her food from afar...She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household....She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard...She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness...
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=KJV

Basically, it's about a wise, entrepreneurial, working women who provides for her family.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Who says she went to the media? It just says she posted it on her facebook page.

chu me
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chu me »

I like the approach Doc prefers to take......just ignore the problem, then it will go away. I think we should ignore all the problems such as sexism, racism, ageism, etc. If we do this then all the dirty problems of the world will go away. Good stuff Doc!!! Why didn't they think of this during the civil rights movement.......just ignore the problem and you will get your civil rights. DO NOT...REPEAT DO NOT expose this and make other people uncomfortable. Just ignore it ! Once again well done Doc on your gem of advice.

'CauseTheCaravanCan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 'CauseTheCaravanCan »

BTyyj wrote:"Ideologies can survive hostility, but not indifference." - Mason Cooley
wow, well said BTyyj
I feel like there is a whole lot of indifference here.

Listen UP guys (and gals...if any)! I'm speaking to the "WHO CARES!!!" Posters. I'm sure you're eye rolling because it's just another woman crying "SEXISM"... and that may be.
I can see how it doesn't affect you at all, so why waste adrenaline typing something up eh? (save it for the gear up landings, 'cause I know how much you get all worked up about THAT issue.)

I still feel it's important to roast this guy in the media just for being a real D.I.C.K.
Due due to the fact that Treating Each Other with Respect has begun a sharp decline, I'm afraid of where the world is going to go without public shaming for being a d-bag.
We don't want anybody getting any big ideas that this type of disrespect is the new-normal.

anyways...
ahramin wrote:Example: My neice has a very A type personality, might make a good pilot some day but she's probably too smart for that. At school, on the playground, and at home she often gets called bossy. When was the last time someone called a boy bossy? Why is leadership considered unladylike?
Mwah! That's so been me!
Hi unkie ahramin!!!!! :smt039

On a serious note.
Shout out to Kirsten B. @ The Sky's No Limit - Girls Fly Too!
sweeeeeeeeet! Love what you're doing. :smt041

K, anyone sick of winter yet?!
~so long~
'Van

ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ehbuddy »

hmmmmm........lets see now.........if he was that concerned of a female flying the aircraft that would have been his first question to the Flight Attendant as he entered the aircraft who was probably a female...........or the gate agent.............or the CATSA employee........the CSR at the ticket counter.............the gal at Tim Hortons.........etc etc.

My guess he just wanted to see how far his little note would go and it went viral so it worked for him. I am surprised Wolf Blitzer does not have 24 hour news coverage on it.

MacStork
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MacStork »

This has to be one of the dumbest posts that I have seen on Avcanada for quite some time. Personally ..... I think some dumb ass with a lot of time on his/her hands is still laughing about all comments from the shit storm that was created. This should be put in the same category as Rob Ford. Why are we subjecting our collective intelligence on such bullshit people??? We are so much better than that.

crazy_aviator
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

Just as racism and sexism is alive and well in Canada,, SO IS Favoritism!
Putting people into jobs they are not equipped for to satisfy a quota is foolishness.
Positions of employment and advancement should be based upon performance, ability and a good fit, regardless of race, sex or beliefs etc !

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Captain Two Names should turn the sensitivity knob down a bit. Some illiterate clown leaves a note, toss it in the trash where it belongs.

Or is it really....all about ME?

Sleeve of Wizard
Rank 2
Rank 2

crazy_aviator wrote:Just as racism and sexism is alive and well in Canada,, SO IS Favoritism!
Putting people into jobs they are not equipped for to satisfy a quota is foolishness.
Positions of employment and advancement should be based upon performance, ability and a good fit, regardless of race, sex or beliefs etc !

Care to explain this?

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Interesting rumour from the Lower Mainland this week... This "complaint" was a setup, intended to drive media coverage and highlight an event being held at the Langley (BC) airport this weekend... "The Sky's no limit - Girls fly too", targeted at all females in the area with an interest in aviation. If it is, it's worked... Every news story i've seen on the "complaint" letter has been published or aired side-by-side with coverage of the event this weekend.

http://www.womenofaviationweek.org/rsvp/langley/
https://www.facebook.com/SkysNoLimitGirlsFlyToo

Seems it would be trivial to find out if "David" exists or not, and prove one way or another if this was a hoax.

Sleeve of Wizard
Rank 2
Rank 2

AirFrame wrote:Interesting rumour from the Lower Mainland this week... This "complaint" was a setup, intended to drive media coverage and highlight an event being held at the Langley (BC) airport this weekend... "The Sky's no limit - Girls fly too", targeted at all females in the area with an interest in aviation. If it is, it's worked... Every news story i've seen on the "complaint" letter has been published or aired side-by-side with coverage of the event this weekend.

Seems it would be trivial to find out if "David" exists or not, and prove one way or another if this was a hoax.

I knew that timing was too perfect.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I was thinking the same thing, isn't it women in aviation week?

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

@ 'CauseTheCaravanCan.... thanks for noticing! :)

FYI 1353 girls and women of all ages signed up to fly so far! The entire event, including the flights for eligible girls and women (can't have flown in a small aircraft before - previous airline flights are ok) is FREE! Courtesy of local sponsors, and many people who have graciously donated their precious time, energy and resources to this awesome community event. People are coming from all over the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley to participate.

@ AirFrame .... you got me - how on earth did you figure it out? Yes I took some time out from all the free time I have while organizing the largest event of it's kind in Canadian history - in less than six weeks of lead time. I frivolously spent gobs of spare $$$ (from my lucrative career no less) hopped on a WestJet flight across Canada (and back) in order to plant a fake note with the hope that it would further advertise my event which has already received overwhelming support and coverage. :roll:

Seeing as you're in Langley you're welcome to volunteer! kirsten@girlsfly2.ca

@Rowdy it's actually Women of Aviation Worldwide Week. http://www.womenofaviationweek.org/

Cheers,
Kirsten B.

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

AirFrame wrote:Interesting rumour from the Lower Mainland this week... This "complaint" was a setup, intended to drive media coverage and highlight an event being held at the Langley (BC) airport this weekend... "The Sky's no limit - Girls fly too", targeted at all females in the area with an interest in aviation. If it is, it's worked... Every news story i've seen on the "complaint" letter has been published or aired side-by-side with coverage of the event this weekend.

I've read plenty of rumours in the last 12 or so years that I've been on this forum. That one has to be about the dumbest one I've read so far.

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

snoopy wrote: FYI 1353 girls and women of all ages signed up to fly so far! The entire event, including the flights for eligible girls and women (can't have flown in a small aircraft before - previous airline flights are ok) is FREE! Courtesy of local sponsors, and many people who have graciously donated their precious time, energy and resources to this awesome community event. People are coming from all over the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley to participate.

Cheers,
Kirsten B.

Thanks for doing the event Kristen!

The Alberta weather and now lack of a runway is making our event less exciting than previous years so I am glad to see that others are making great headway....

That said March 8th is Free to all Girls, Ladies, Women at the Alberta Aviation Museum as we have 5 speakers, all women and all tied to aviation presenting.

As the Dad of a 21 year old with both Glider and Advanced Ultralight licenses its great to see the effort being put into getting a whole new generation involved.

Thank you again

Tom Hinderks
Alberta Aviation Museum Association

PS

Now what can we do to get more events like this?

Return to “General Comments”