Higher than normal risk of stroke and you medical

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

slob driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Higher than normal risk of stroke and you medical

Post by slob driver »

I am looking at speaking or hearing from people or someone they know that lost their medical because of a higher than normal risk of a stroke occurring, or if they have had a stroke, and tried to get their medical back in either case. I'm aware there is a health and fitness sub-forum, but it's way down on the page, so I put this request in general comments. PM me any info if preferred.
---------- ADS -----------

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Higher than normal risk of stroke and you medical

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Higher than normal risk of stroke and you medical

Post by Castorero »

Yes, follow the link to neurology.

It spells it out fairly clearly that if you have had a stroke you are permanently unfit.
The only exception are TIA's or transient ischemic attacks that upon investigation yield no discernible concrete pathology anywhere.

Nonetheless one is still deemed unfit for three years, before a re-evaluation.

The problem with "a higher stroke risk" is related to the underlying reason for the higher risk, and if its a "higher risk of recurrence" then its game over, because you never can predict when or where this might happen.

The positive thing is that treatment in the last 30 years has made a huge difference in reducing both risk and re-occurence, on the ground.

Castorero

slob driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Higher than normal risk of stroke and your medical

Post by slob driver »

Thank you for replying.
I had already read the document. Speaking with my came, he said that tc looks at this on a case by case basis. I'm at the beginning of this journey, and need to start arming myself with information to prove that I will be an acceptable risk going forward.

Return to “General Comments”