What's Wrong At Wiarton?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

The Colpoys Kid
Rank 0
Rank 0

What's Wrong At Wiarton?

Post by The Colpoys Kid »

Does anyone know what is going on up at CYVV? I flew up to visit my old haunt this past Sunday and it looks like a scene from the Book Of Eli. Nobody from the airport would respond to radio calls, the restaurant has been abandoned, the pilot's lounge has been dismantled, the once busy flight school has relocated, snow banks all over the place (including the runway), and not a local aircraft to be seen or heard.
Just one year ago the airport manager was telling the public about major cargo/passenger operations that were taking place to popular US cities and only 5 months ago, a 70 000 square foot full service FBO/MRO that was being built to open in January 2014. I checked the NOTAMs and the runway is still open but the place is a ghost town. Does anyone have any news? It's sad to see the place in such a state.

T C K
---------- ADS -----------

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: What's Wrong At Wiarton?

Post by FenderManDan »

I think it says no winter maint. I don't know about the flight school. I cant see it as a popular winter spot other than that little bugger that keeps extending our winter.

skymarc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skymarc »

Looks like normal operation on most small airports in Canada. :shock:

dahspeers
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dahspeers »

I've heard there's been lots of "management issues."

The Colpoys Kid
Rank 0
Rank 0

What's Wrong At Wiarton?

Post by The Colpoys Kid »

That's unfortunate to hear and see. I get into Hanover, Owen Sound, Collingwood, and Edenvale quite often and they all seem to be doing quite well.....lots of radio chatter, lots of local and transient aircraft out smashing bugs, local flight school activity, great snow removal, and friendly and knowledgeable folks working at the airports and the restaurants. I would call all of them "going concerns". Considering Wiarton is so close to all the other airports and used to see the same activity you really have to wonder what is up. Nothing is up I guess. It used to be a great place to fly into. Always something interesting going on in the air or on the ramp, great fuel prices, and friendly staff. The only thing noticeable last weekend was the wind whistling through it. Made a few calls to some old friends in the area yesterday and the local scuttle is that the airport management is trying to buy the airport in a hostile manner. I certainly hope that's not the case. It would be a shame to see my old stomping grounds go the way of the dodo.

T C K

Return to “General Comments”