Mirabel airport terminal to be torn down

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Mirabel airport terminal to be torn down

Post by Tom H »

leftoftrack wrote:My point is YEG is taking off.

and

I agree and it is great to see, but the credit goes to the long term work done by Edmonton International Airports in promoting and negotiating the new routes while taking advantage of the hot oil economy to grow that sector.
2 New international carriers and expanded united flights all just happened within a year of the city center closure.
The airline/YXD issue was dead back in 1995 and none of the new 737's could have used it at all.

My point is credit where credit is due (in this case the work of EIA and the industry) and accuracy.

I think it would be fair to say the YXD issue for most, including me, was dead 24 months ago (some more), its over and its past time to move forward on all sides of the discussion.

There is a lot of work to do in Recreational and Commercial GA to get back to where we need to be.

In my highly biased personal opinion
---------- ADS -----------

skyismine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skyismine »

This is about Mirabel right?

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

I apologize for may part in the thread drift

Sorry all

Tom H

davecessna
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by davecessna »

You friggin' Albertans.

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

And just with whose money do you think Mirabel was built anyways.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Not sure about the 757 fully loaded being able to use CYXD on a plus 25 day but Air Canada's 767 definitely would not have the runway

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

MUSKEG wrote:And just with whose money do you think Mirabel was built anyways.
:goodman:

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

As a child flying through YMX in the 1970's to and from Europe several times I will always remember the PTV's coming to the airplane to wisk us away into the terminal.

As a young adult in 1990 working out of YMX was a great thrill.

Being based there in 1994-6 held some amazing memories.

Between 2006-2009 flying cargo taxiing past the abandoned main passenger terminal, I was somewhat saddened to see what was once a busy airport with international carriers lined up on the tarmac back in the day to just a dark empty building.

A year ago I had a 3 day charter in YUL. Took the rental car to YMX. Pulled up and looked inside. I was extremely sad to see what can only be described as post apocalyptic. Trees had sprung out from the cement floors in the check-in area of the terminal. Desks and signs ripped apart like it was raided by zombies. Lights falling from the ceilings. Welcome/Bienvenue banners torn from the hang-wires above customs hall.

5 days ago I flew over YMX enroute to YYZ @ FL360. I took a lot of pictures...but mostly just looked out the window as we flew by her. From the first came she into view in the horizon, up to when I could no longer bend my neck past the trailing edge of the wing...I never took my eyes off of her as a rush of memories from my first experience with aviation as a child in the 70's up until to today, consumed my whole attention.

I am saddened to hear of her walls being brought down soon. Yes, she always had controversy. From her inception right up until now.

You know it's ALWAYS sad or tragic when someone dies in this business. This is no different. Hate her or love her...she will be missed one way or another....

RIP CYMX

i WAS birddog

Before you plot your revenge on someone, make sure to dig two graveyard plots.
http://twitter.com/@iwasbirddog
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

The zombie move "Warm Bodies" was filmed there. I think part of the terminal was made to look post apocalyptic for it.

Return to “General Comments”