Air Georgian

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

instit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Georgian

Post by instit »

Hello,
i am a part time instructor and soon will log 1500 hours.
I am interested in joining Air Georgian but have a few questions about the working conditions.

1. i live in Montreal,do i have to relocate or can i commute ?
2. Will the company accept IATRA or ATPL is mandatory ?
3. As a new F/O how much can i expect as a salary ?

Thank you for sharing info.
---------- ADS -----------

wirez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Georgian

Post by wirez »

1. As a new FO you'll most likely be in Calgary. There are people that commute but it will be difficult especially in the beginning.
2. I know of people that were hired with IATRA's before.
3. Its about 28k

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

Don't expect to be able to commute. You will have no life.
Expect $900/biweekly take home pay. Good luck finding a place in Calgary for that.

Georgian shouldn't be a goal, it is a bad company and there is way better out there with 1500 hours.

vortac
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vortac »

What happens when "almost everyone" there suddenly realizes they still work at Georgian in 6 years still making bottom-feeding wages, flying clapped out RJ's & Dh8s, complaining that the only places to can go is for even less money (i.e., Encore, Rouge, Skyregional). If everyone thinks they're just going to go there, sit it out until Air Canada hires them, they're in for a rude awakening. There is a high degree of potential this will be your long-term place of employment. Pick a company that isn't just in it to destroy our profession :idea: .

zulutime
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by zulutime »

Instit,

I strongly suggest you go right to the source and contact Air Georgian directly. Find out who you should send a resume to and try and speak with them by phone. Make your decisions based on fact and not based on other people's opinion of who Air Georgian are and what they contribute, or don't contribute, to the aviation world in general. I'm not suggesting their comments aren't meaningful for them but I would think you would want to form your own opinion. Good or bad.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

The problem with that is... although Air Georgian would certainly be a primary source for information... it is very unlikely that they would be very forthcoming with any negative issues...

You will only find out the bad things by personal experience.... after you've been saddled with a bond.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Use the search function, as it was your first post expect a break............. Lots of info look for it

zulutime
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by zulutime »

iflyforpie wrote:The problem with that is... although Air Georgian would certainly be a primary source for information... it is very unlikely that they would be very forthcoming with any negative issues...

You will only find out the bad things by personal experience.... after you've been saddled with a bond.
So.........No different than any other company you go to work for.

That's why interviews are a two way street. It is for the potential employee to ask and learn as much about the employer as vise versa. Sadly, good interview techniques are a dying art.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

That's why interviews are a two way street. ...Sadly, good interview techniques are a dying art.
'Always used that kind of mindset when interviewing and sometime ran into very interesting situations : a retired captain from a very big airline getting all excited and furious because I was questioning the latest bizz model in regards to employment longevity....
a DFO calling ME back to sell his SMS model and safety culture despite company's reputation after an HR hang up on me. interesting...
always funny what you get when you scratch deeper.
it's not much a matter of having the job, it's a matter of "will the way I think be in par with what the guy in front of me is expecting" ?
if the answer is no, and provided you have a certain way to think, then you won't be happy.

arctic_slim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic_slim »

Holy crap, $900 take home pay biweekly? I was making more as a Navajo FO with 200 hours fresh out of school. And that was just base pay, not including flight hours. I should consider myself lucky I guess.

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

Yeah, feel free to apply to GGN if you fancy being broke and living in your parents' basement! That's really about as much as it'll get you.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

arctic_slim wrote:Holy crap, $900 take home pay biweekly? I was making more as a Navajo FO with 200 hours fresh out of school. And that was just base pay, not including flight hours. I should consider myself lucky I guess.
You sure don't live in Quebec :smt040 :smt040
For a 1900 it in not much that is sure.

Most twin turboprops kingair pc12 or twin job in quebec start as FO 25k - 31k. Included big ones like Cree and Airnuit. Rare are the ones paying more than that.

arctic_slim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by arctic_slim »

timel wrote:
arctic_slim wrote:Holy crap, $900 take home pay biweekly? I was making more as a Navajo FO with 200 hours fresh out of school. And that was just base pay, not including flight hours. I should consider myself lucky I guess.
You sure don't live in Quebec :smt040 :smt040
For a 1900 it in not much that is sure.

Most twin turboprops kingair pc12 or twin job in quebec start as FO 25k - 31k. Included big ones like Cree and Airnuit. Rare are the ones paying more than that.
Brutal. To be fair though, I was up north, I guess you get paid better being in the middle of nowhere and having higher living costs. I wa still lucky though, I heard some guys in Yellowknife at Summit air at the time were making around 18K a year, not sure how accurate that number is.

Return to “General Comments”