Decent Flight school in Edmonton?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Someguy123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Decent Flight school in Edmonton?

Post by Someguy123 »

Hello Folks, I just moved here from Calgary, I was with SATC which was an awesome experience, unfortunately I had to move to Edmonton for work. Can some one recommend a flight school in Edmonton.

I have been to centennial and Namao. I talked to people in Namao they were nice and there 172 is only 125Hr wet. What do you think ?
---------- ADS -----------

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Decent Flight school in Edmonton?

Post by 5x5 »

It's great that you've gone to both those schools yourself. Usually it's worth a second visit. This time talk to the CFI or some other senior person and get a sense of what the school's stability is like. Talking with a dispatcher or instructor may give you a good feeling about that person's attitude which can be an indicator of good things. However, staff tend to come and go quite regularly at most flight schools. But talking to a long-time management person can give a better feel of the long term nature of the school. Just remember to take more factors into account than simply price.

In my opinion, Centennial is the better school - stability, syllabus and instructor supervision wise.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Tailwind W10
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tailwind W10 »

I'd suggest you check out Cooking Lake Aviation Academy and Edmonton Flying Club as well.

It's been a couple of years since I've been there, and I don't know any of their instructor roster, aside from doing my night rating and a type check with the thier current chief instructor. They were hair's breath of shutting down a couple of years ago, but they seem to be on stable footing now. They've got 2 (soon to be 3 again) G-1000 C172s, if that floats your boat, as well as the conventional instrumented C-172 and Seminol. I was quite happy with my experience there, but it's way out south east of Edmonton, opposite side of town from Villenueve.

I have no experience with Edmonton Flying Club at Parkland, but they're one of the stalwarts here. I've several friends who'd got they're PPLs there and were also quite happy with them.

Cheers
Gerry

spruceair
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by spruceair »

I'm biased, but Namao Flying Club is the way to go. Did all of my PPL, some of my Multi and some of my commercial there. They also have the Citabria...which is loads of fun.

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

EFC is based at Parkland, majority of flights out of the airport are EFC for now so its nit super busy like Villenuve is. EFC is buying 4 172's with G1000's, i've been told one should be there near the end of june with the next 3 buy the end of august. Good group of instructors, met a few of them. They also have the diamond 20,40, and 42.

I've flown at Centennial as well as EFC, both are good schools, it comes down to personal preference. EFC is more of a club feel with bbq's special event nights etc where Centennial is more of just a school environment.

RickPilot33
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RickPilot33 »

hey there I personally recommend cooking lake.
aircraft are new and rates are good. They have great Instructors.
call and speak to Chad or Ben. 780-922-2802
I was an I structor there part time and was a great environment.

good luck

RNAV30
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RNAV30 »

I also recommend Cooking Lake. A great fleet, great maintenance program and great staff.

I did my PPL and CPL there and I have no complaints. Talk to Chad or Ben.

The airport is very close to the training area and airports such as josephberg, tofield, camrose and vegriville are all very close for training purposes. you really do get the bang for your buck there. None of this .4 or .5 hour transitions just to the training area like some schools.

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

RNAV30 wrote:I also recommend Cooking Lake. A great fleet, great maintenance program and great staff.

I did my PPL and CPL there and I have no complaints. Talk to Chad or Ben.

The airport is very close to the training area and airports such as josephberg, tofield, camrose and vegriville are all very close for training purposes. you really do get the bang for your buck there. None of this .4 or .5 hour transitions just to the training area like some schools.
Parkland to villenuve - 0.2
Parkland to Wpa - 0.2
Villenuve to wpa - 0.2

No .4 or .5 on this side of the city ;)

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

It would also be in your best interest if you worry about .4 & .5 to demand the instructor does something during this time. Instruments on the way to & back? Range and Endurance? Stalls? Slow Flight... the list goes on

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Oxi wrote:Endurance? Slow Flight.
Wouldnt that make the transit time even longer?

RNAV30
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RNAV30 »

Oxi wrote:It would also be in your best interest if you worry about .4 & .5 to demand the instructor does something during this time. Instruments on the way to & back? Range and Endurance? Stalls? Slow Flight... the list goes on
The problem with a lot of instructors is that they won't demonstrate anything during that time. I've flown with many of the schools in the area and on countless occasions I have been flying to the wpa while the instructor is texting or on Facebook.

Too many instructors are there just to fill their own logbook.

I've flown at 3 of the schools in the edminton area and 2 in Vancouver. Hands down cooking lake is my suggestion.

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

In no particular order, Centennial or EFC

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

RNAV30 wrote: I've flown with many of the schools in the area and on countless occasions I have been flying to the wpa while the instructor is texting or on Facebook.

Too many instructors are there just to fill their own logbook.
I hate when my instructor is texting. I actually asked him why he did it so often - caught him off guard to say the least.

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

Good for you armyuy. Next time he is short changing you, tell him you're going to talk to the CFI about changing instructors to one who takes his responsibilities seriously and isn't stealing your hard earned money.

From a former infanteer .... good to see an army guy here enjoying aviation ....

Avrocanada
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avrocanada »

I've personally been around a few flying schools in edmonton. Here's my two sense.

In order and why

1. Edmonton flying club- More of a club feeling. Feels like they are there for the students and not for hours. Often times I come in and everyone is in a great mood, telling jokes, laughing. They make aviation fun.
2. Namao- Cool fleet. Citabria. Twin commanche. Smaller organization and the staff want to be there.
3. Centennial- Had some experience with instructors who felt like you didnt want to be there. Dispatchers make you feel like they would rather stare at the computer than help you. Some good people there. Fleet is okay. Piper is nice.
4. Cooking lake- Not all that professional. Have heard horror stories about A/C maintenance. Dispatchers (that I've come across) don't really know too much. I asked airspace and aircraft related questions and only received vague answers. Have some good solid people there which feels like they are holding the place together. IMO any FTU that almost goes under, then buys new AC is one to stay away from...

Just my POV. Each place has its pros and cons. Comes down to what you are looking for.

AC

Aussiecat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aussiecat »

Did all my PPL at Cooking lake and then worked there in Dispatch under previous ownership, Don't know much about the new owners, I do know the current CFI ( Ben) good guy and if Orville is still around he can give you a lot of guidance.
Namao - I did a bunch of my CPL training there, was ok, I went for the Citabria, found some of the staff and the CFI so-so ( just personal opinion)
EFC - I never flew there, but did go do some SIM training for my IFR there, nice enough people ( this was when at CYXD)
Centennial- I didn't get the greatest sense off Joe ( CFI) so chose not to do any CPL training there.
Wetaskiwin Air Services (sth. of Edmonton)- Finished my CPL, Multi and IR there, was good experience

Just talk to/ visit all the schools that you consider convenient for travel and see who works for you

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

single_swine_herder wrote:From a former infanteer .... good to see an army guy here enjoying aviation ....
No way, 1VP or 3VP?

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Cessna driver »

ThatArmyGuy wrote:
single_swine_herder wrote:From a former infanteer .... good to see an army guy here enjoying aviation ....
No way, 1VP or 3VP?

Im with military intellegence

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Cessna driver wrote:Im with military intellegence
Are they affiliated with military intelligence?

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

azimuthaviation wrote:
Cessna driver wrote:Im with military intellegence
Are they affiliated with military intelligence?
That's a big negative.

cessna driver - i didnt know you were a secret squirrel

Return to “General Comments”