Air Fares !!!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

planemikey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Air Fares !!!

Post by planemikey »

Today I checked on prices for a flight for 3 people to Halifax return from Kelowna BC Sept 8th for 2 weeks cost on a Canadian Airline $ 4160.00
Then I checked with an American Airline from Spokane to Portland Maine basically the same distance cost on Southwest Airlines $1361.00 .

Please tell me why ? Both Airlines fly the 737 both are with one stop ??

Any other cost comparisons out there ??
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Air Fares !!!

Post by CpnCrunch »

I just checked both Canadian airlines and the price was between $2400 and $2500. I think you must have clicked the wrong button somewhere :)

I guess I should stop hanging out in avcanada and actually do some work...

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

Supply, demand, expected bookings, current booking trends, anticipated flow (or actual booked) from other stronger markets, etc, etc. Add a sprinkle of knowing the airplane will go out full and doing all possible to maximize yield.

Also, the psychology of knowing that three people will book together. Do a fare search for the same routing for just one person and not three. It may show you a cheaper per person fare. But, knowing people's psychology, people are less willing to make three separate bookings in favour of all booked together as one small group.

Comparing markets in the states is meaningless. It would be like comparing similar distances in Europe or Asia. Market dynamics are different, costs are different, competition is different, more choices forces fares lower, etc, etc.

Last edited by bmc on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmc
BKerns
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BKerns »

Air Fares are not something that can be rationalized by common sense, like distance/airline/aircraft type/weight. Don't try to over think it.

My favorite is when a flight cancels and everyone rushes to the next airline to grab a ticket. First guy at the counter pays $150, and the next pays $275 for the same flight... Should have ran faster buddy!

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

You should check Ryanair. Their fares are super cheap.

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

There is seldom a relationship between cost and air fares. Market forces set the fares.

Airlines get creative in optimizing yield by giving passengers the opportunity to select the services they want: a meal, window seat, etc. Ancillary revenue is a huge revenue source.

bmc
dirk82
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirk82 »

It's funny when guys complain about cost of airline tickets in Canada then hop to another thread and bitch about the constantly falling wages in the airlines in Canada. Don't worry, those poor boys at ggn will get those ticket prices down for ya

Mach .28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mach .28 »

Ita software by google has the following prices per person.

Check out the app. on the fly

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (358.48 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

^ ^ I get pretty much same results searching economy on Travelocity. Slightly higher on Expedia for some reason. More of a spread in available seat prices if you want to fly business class.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

I recently booked a ticket for a transborder flight, and I looked at every single option. AC beat all of the American competition by $200-1000. It was the only airline offering direct flights as well.

Return to “General Comments”