unplanned road trip

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

unplanned road trip

Post by Liquid Charlie »

I find myself with an unplanned road trip from vancouver to yk -- going through prince george and across through Dawson Creek is about 200k shorter than through jasper and the yellowhead -- anyone tell me what the roads are like and if the shortest route is the best ---- oh ya -- going up to see an airplane -- lmfaooooooo
---------- ADS -----------

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
Mark Rose
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: unplanned road trip

Post by Mark Rose »

Take Highway 1 to Cache Creek, then Highway 97 to Dawson Creek. Highway 1 is a little winding and hilly in parts, but is a good road. No need to worry about ice in August. Plus the view are fantastic. Highway 97 is basically wide, flat, and straight (for BC) the whole way to Yukon, except the reasonably mild Pine Pass. The side road from Chetwynd to Fort St John is slow, even though it may look shorter, so don't take it. North of Prince George you can find places to sleep in Chetwynd, Dawson Creek, Fort St John, and Fort Nelson. Be sure to make reservations in the morning because hotels north of the Rockies are often full up with oilfield personnel, leaving little room for travellers. There are a lot of moose between Prince George and Chetwynd -- I've seen at least one every night I've driven that road -- so I would suggest spending the night in Prince George if you're drowsy. There are grocery stores in PG, DC, FSJ, and FN if you need food. There are Walmarts in PG, DC, and FSJ.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Perfect -- thanks -- I live in moose country so bullwinkle and his swamp donkeys are an everyday experience -- I have driven to YK several times but always from the east -- thank again ---

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Hi Liquid Charlie.
Take the Coquihalla to Merritt, then Logan Lake highway to Cache Creek. You avoid the twisty two lanes of the Fraser Canyon in favour of a divided highway at 110K all the way to Merritt. At Merritt junction you can go the Kamloops highway to Cache Creek, but the Logan Lake highway through Merritt reduces the drive by 1 hour over the Kamloops way. I drive it at least twice a year to visit family in the BC Peace district.
Bob

Return to “General Comments”