Converting wheels to floats

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Converting wheels to floats

Post by FenderManDan »

What would the process entail to convert a C-182?
What paperwork is needed and supplied by the floats seller?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Converting wheels to floats

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

There are several companies that do the conversion, I would suggest google the options and give them all a call. Airtids has a C 182 on floats so you could try a pm to him to get an owners perspective.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

If I remember correctly a brand new set of Wips from the factory and installed by the factory was about $65k on the 182. They handled all of the paperwork it was pretty seamless and professional.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I recommend that you contact Seaplanes West. They have the superior float installations for 182's. Some float conversions are horrible, and will result in fairly bad lower firewall damage. It is required that the two lower float attachment points at the firewall of the 182 be reinforced to each other across the nosewheel mount. Unlike the 180/185, Cessna did not design the 182 for float attach points, so the lower firewall structure is not factory reinforced. Note that the 180/185 attach the front float struts at the main landing gear "prokchops" rather than the firewall. Done properly, the 182 installation works just fine. You also need a "heavy" engine mount, as the pounding which goes into the engine through the lower firewall fittings is really hard on the engine mount. A regular one will begin to crack in short order. Resist the standard "V" brace, in favour of bracing wires, their installation will remain sound for much longer.

With the original engine, the 182 is a modest performer on floats, so moderate your expectations for carrying a load. It will not carry on floats what it will on wheels. Watch out for it becoming nose heavy, and possibly requiring ballast. I have recently resolved this with a 182 I put on Aerocet Amphibs. If you get that far, and need help, I can help you.

I highly recommend a STOL kit on the wing, and wing extensions. The electric flaps work fine, though they reduce your ability to rapidly play with them to get off the water - so a good wing really makes a difference.

Seaplanes West has a number of other modifications for 182's, which are all worthy of consideration.

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

FMD, check PMs!

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.

Return to “General Comments”