Air Force

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AF1000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Force

Post by AF1000 »

Hey Guys,

Pretty new to the forum and I'm sure there has been a thousand different threads about the air force but I was wondering if there is anybody on here that is currently in the Air Force or has some experience with that route. I have been contemplating taking that route for a few years now but I feel like I don't have enough info about it. I have heard a few stories of guys getting into it and ending up flying choppers for the rest of their career even though they went in with fixed wing experience. I know most of it is word of mouth so I was hoping some people can answer a few questions.

1. Is it worth joining?
2. What are the chances that someone with fixed wing time will end up getting choppers?
3. How is life after the training? Up sides, downsides etc...

Thanks to everybody who pitches in. I appreciate the help!

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Air Force

Post by Outlaw58 »

AF1000 wrote:Hey Guys,

Pretty new to the forum and I'm sure there has been a thousand different threads about the air force but I was wondering if there is anybody on here that is currently in the Air Force or has some experience with that route. I have been contemplating taking that route for a few years now but I feel like I don't have enough info about it. I have heard a few stories of guys getting into it and ending up flying choppers for the rest of their career even though they went in with fixed wing experience. I know most of it is word of mouth so I was hoping some people can answer a few questions.

1. Is it worth joining?
2. What are the chances that someone with fixed wing time will end up getting choppers?
3. How is life after the training? Up sides, downsides etc...

Thanks to everybody who pitches in. I appreciate the help!

Cheers
1. Yes. But...
You have to understand what you are getting into. The training, lifestyle and experience you will get is second to none as long as you are willing to roll with the punches. If what you are looking for is to build a little nest somewhere to live your easy peasy life, this might not be the route for you.

2. Better than average. More than half of the cockpits are helicopters and 80% of those helo cockpits are Griffons. Your preferences will be taken into considerations but your performance during training will be the prime driver of where you will end up. Bottom line, if your game and attitude is there, you have little to worry about. Expect to be spoonfed everything, whine at every opportunity about how unfair the system is and stick to the absolute minimum work that is expected of you and they (the Air Force) will pretty much decide where they will employ you (*IF* they decide to employ you)

3. The training is long and it is not easy (well, not hard either, but it does require a fair amount of work). But it is not only excellent, it is also free WITH pay on top. Once you get your wings, if your goal is to move back with your girld friend for the next 10-15 years in your dream house in your choice city then you will be sorely disappointed. If on the other hand you are ready to tackle anything the Air Force throws at you, anywhere and anytime, you will have the time of your life. You will travel the world. You will be employed at 300-400 hours TT on aircraft you wouldn't dream of seeing before you reach 4-5k TT hours (maybe even more!). You will be asked to fly your aircraft in ways you'd be thrown in jail for attempting to do so in a civilian aircraft.

All this comes at a price. You will have to relocate roughly every 4 years. You will spend little time at home. You may be asked to serve in locales and/or conditions that may affect your physical and mental health, in some cases, for the rest of your life. Some of us (like myself) have been more fortunate than others.

I personally do not regret one minute of my 29 year career.

JP

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

Tons of useful links in one of my reply on this thread: http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... =3&t=94093

+1 To everything that Outlaw58 wrote.

AF1000 wrote:2. What are the chances that someone with fixed wing time will end up getting choppers?
As Outlaw58 said, a little more than half of the cockpit are helos. There is however no way to tell ahead of time
what you'll end up flying. Heck you could top your course, put helicopters as your first choice, and jets last, and
still get sent jets. It's all timing dependant. Just do your best, and remember there is no bad flying job in the RCAF!

AF1000 wrote:I have heard a few stories of guys getting into it and ending up flying choppers for the rest of their career even though they went in with fixed wing experience.
Sounds like a very good outcome to me :wink:
A lot of people aren't interested in choppers at first, because they don't know what the job is like.
Many people change their minds after a couple of weeks of OJT in a tac hel squadron...

Also, it doesn't matter what kind of previous flying experience you have. The RCAF doesn't care about that.
You could be a Class 1 aerobatic instructor with an ATPL and 4000h PIC in a multi-engine turbine, all it's
going to change for you is allow you to skip phase 1 in Portage, which is basically a selection course anyway.

Cheers,
Olivier

Think ahead or fall behind!
Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

I served with a Captain who was selected for pilot training. He had over three thousands hours of civilian flying time. The guy was let go during the Tutor phase. He redressed it and won. Got another crack at it but was let go again. It just proves that previous flying experience does not get you very far if you don't fly the way they want you to.

Nothing wrong with becoming a rotor-head. Its great fun tear-assing around the country with your altimeter not reading anything.

Cheers...Chris

Return to “General Comments”