Medical Question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bc_fly_boy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Medical Question

Post by bc_fly_boy »

Hey Everybody

I'd like to ask a sensitive question regarding medicals at Canada's major airlines. I know a lot of you want to know but are afraid to ask. What kind of drug testing (if any) do they do?

Now before you jump all over me, let me explain. The only reason I'm asking is that some jackass at a party lit up a "fatty" right next to me and I couldn't help but inhale a little before I ran away. I know it sounds unvelievable but its true. I swear.

So basically I was just wondering how long this is going to show up in a test? I know we have some experts out there don't be shy!

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Did you actually run away or just sort of float away. I would start working on a better story than that one even if it is true!!

Gold medals have been lost with a better story than that!!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Tell them about it. detail the entire night.

You're ok man.

bee tee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bee tee »

Just get your girlfriend to pee in the cup for you.

peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by peeelot »

Same thing happened to anther guy from BC........ Question did it enhance your performance

Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

CLguy wrote:Did you actually run away or just sort of float away
Hilarious!

Seriously though, I'm sure you'd be fine. I know the military asks everyone to list every substance they've done.......hard substances & chronic problems aside, they don't care so much about what you did, but rather the fact that you no longer do it and will refrain from doing it in the future.

Johnny
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Johnny »

Utva wrote:Just get your girlfriend to pee in the cup for you.
...and then laugh really hard when the AME tells you that you're healthy and three months pregnant.

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Medical Question

Post by TTail »

bc_fly_boy wrote: Now before you jump all over me, let me explain. The only reason I'm asking is that some jackass at a party lit up a "fatty" right next to me and I couldn't help but inhale a little before I ran away. I know it sounds unvelievable but its true. I swear.
Almost as good as saying you got pushed, tripped over a coffe table, knocked some guy with a doobie in his mouth over, doobie goes flying, and lands right in your lips while you're still dazed on the ground.

:weedman:

eterepekio
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by eterepekio »

Unlikely to prevent you from getting a medical.

Do you eterepek?
see-why-wg
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by see-why-wg »

The advice about how the military looks at it is not what I experienced. Admit nothing--IMHO no one really appreciates an honest stoner who admits to huffing a fatty once in a while and then in the same breath tells an interviewer that they are the best man for the job. No one who you want to take you seriously has time for high school drug habits.
Deny, deny, deny. If you have traces of it in your pee because of second hand smoke, it would be so minimal that they would likely buy your story, and if they don't, ask for another test. THC, the active ingredient in pot stays in your system for around 4 weeks, by the time they get the first results, meet with you and then administer another test, you should be clean.
I am not giving advice on how to get away with anything--I have no time for drunk/stoned co-workers, let alone pilots. But we have all done stupid things in the past that an interviewer doesn't need to know about and I think it is foolish to be totally honest about doing drugs in the past when that is no longer part of your lifestyle now. It's not lying, it's just using your sense of self-preservation.

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

see-why-wg wrote:The advice about how the military looks at it is not what I experienced. Admit nothing--IMHO no one really appreciates an honest stoner who admits to huffing a fatty once in a while and then in the same breath tells an interviewer that they are the best man for the job. No one who you want to take you seriously has time for high school drug habits.
Deny, deny, deny. If you have traces of it in your pee because of second hand smoke, it would be so minimal that they would likely buy your story, and if they don't, ask for another test. THC, the active ingredient in pot stays in your system for around 4 weeks, by the time they get the first results, meet with you and then administer another test, you should be clean.
I am not giving advice on how to get away with anything--I have no time for drunk/stoned co-workers, let alone pilots. But we have all done stupid things in the past that an interviewer doesn't need to know about and I think it is foolish to be totally honest about doing drugs in the past when that is no longer part of your lifestyle now. It's not lying, it's just using your sense of self-preservation.

Exactly! Deny, Deny, Deny, it is no different than when a cop asks if you have been drinking. Being honest only obligates him to give you a breathalizer.

No worries anyway, I had the same thing happen to me and I ran as fast as I could away from the doobie and into the arms of a nurse who told me it is only detectable for 48 hours anyway.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Medical Question

Post by co-joe »

bc_fly_boy wrote:...some jackass at a party lit up a "fatty" right next to me and I couldn't help but inhale a little before I ran away. I know it sounds unvelievable but its true. I swear...
:lol: That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. :lol:

You ran away hunh? rotflmfao! :lol:

Okay before you go lacing up your running shoes every time cheech shows up at the party here's what my ame told me. It doesn't matter what you did in high school, 3 months later nothing shows up in your pee.

My advice is just stick with the Bill Clinton "...I tried it once in high school but I didn't inhale..." line and you'll be safe.

Now if it was suspected that you were showing up to work stoned, hair analysis or other more invasive tests could show up what "other people" did while you were in the room, but there'd have to be suspicion to warrant that. Maybe leave the greratful dead shirt at home on staff picnic day... :D

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

I think the real question here is- does AC or WestJet test you for dope?

Anyone? Anyone?

-istp

Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

Jaques Strappe wrote:I had the same thing happen to me and I ran as fast as I could away from the doobie and into the arms of a nurse who told me it is only detectable for 48 hours anyway.
and you call yourself from Sunnyvale!!?? :wink:

Fair enough though, denying everything probably is the easiest way and safest way.....i was just mentioning because I went through the process of joining the reserves a few years ago and when asked, I admitted I smoked up a couple times during a short "teen phase" over 10 years ago when i was 14ish, then never again. They said it wasn't a problem, most people admit to being youth at one time in their life and giving into normal pressures......just so long as it was only a brief experience and the outcome was positive in that it was over and done with and never required to be done again.

Heck, a couple weeks ago I was visiting a buddy and we had a couple beers at his place with dinner, a few hours later after having finished the 2 dinner beers, I drove home with the remaining 8ish beer in the box in my back seat. I came up to a roadblock and when asked if I had anything to drink this evening I admitted 2 beers at dinner a few hours ago, and the cop saw the open case in the back seat, determined that I obviously was sober NOW and told me to enjoy my evening. No breathalizer, no searches.

I guess in my personal opinion and experiences, honestly works well. :wink:

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

Ralliart

Ya pretty sad for a sunnyvale boy! :lol: Although I was being somewhat sarcastic.

The Air Canadas' of the world don't seem to have much of a sense of humour about this stuff. Personally, I think it is somewhat hypocritical as I think booze is far more dangerous than pot and tell me the Doc didn't do a little extra studying in pharm class.

I don't condone lying but at the airlines, I think it is just easier to look clean cut and say no. Makes it easier for everyone.

8)

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

HEY RA. Open liquor in the car is prima facie evidence that you have been drinking, buddy gave you a break, he could have charged you with drinking in the car. put it in the trunk next time or cover it up.

Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Hot Fuel »

This a topic (the have you had anything to drink question) I have a little inside information on as my signifigant other is in law enforcement.

They don't ask the question to a driver they suspect has been drinking with the expectation of hearing the truth. They ask that question, along with a series of others to gauge whether they have sufficient grounds to request a breath sample. Simply put the purpose is to get you talking...It is very easy for a sober person to smell alchol on a individual, particularly when they are in close quarters and one is in a confined space (i.e. motor vechicle) It's a catch 22 question...you say yes one or two and they have probable grounds to request the sample. If you say no and you have had one or two...they smell it and poof they have grounds again because you have not been truthful. There is no right or wrong way to anwser the question, it's stacked against you.

Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

I mean't the box was open, the actual beverages remained unopened in the box in the back. There were no actual open beverages in the car.

Anyhow, I flat-out admitted I had a couple beers earlier in the evening, I don't think you can find something more evident than that.

My point was, it didn't matter as much that I had drinks earlier in the evening, but rather I wasn't under the influence while driving, and yes I realise that if the officer wanted to, he could have charged me if I blew even 1/10th of the legal limit, since I obviously would have had some trace in my system. He made the decision that my earlier drinks were not disrupting my ability to safely operate the vehicle. I wouldn't drive drunk (i know everyone says that) and I'm confident whenever I do things that involve interacting with an authority, whether it be a police roadblock, getting ramp checked by TC, etc, I've usually always got all my ducks in a line, so to speak, and thus have no need to cover anything up or withhold the truth.

But back to the original post, in my opinion (and others) I can't see the situation being a problem for bc_fly_boy..........and in the future if I ever go for another interview of any kind and get asked if I've ever done drugs, I'll always tell them I tried pot twice when I was 14. I'm confident that given my previous 10+ years of school, employment, references, and general hard work the prospective employer should be able to realise that I'm a fairly decent honest individual and what happened back then would have had zero impact on the kind of person I am today.

Cheers :)

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/ ... nnabis.htm

Try that link and then get someone with a chemistry degree to interpret it for you. Pay attention to the paragraphs on Pharmokinetics and the one called Interpretation of Urine Test Results and you should get the answer you are looking for.

No idea how many ng/ml (nanograms per millileter) companies look for though.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

How old was the kid that was smoking "it"?

10-25 It was probably just oregano...

No worries...

Return to “General Comments”