Pemberton Aerodrome

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Pemberton Aerodrome

Post by Lurch »

Can anyone who flies into CYPS regularly during the winter comment on the conditions of the runway?

The CFS states limited winter Maintenance, and we are playing on flying in several times this winter and I am wondering how clean they keep the runway and how soon after a storm do they plow?
---------- ADS -----------

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Pemberton Aerodrome

Post by Airtids »

been a long time since I've been in there during the winter, but I do recall many years ago checking the CFS and NOTAMs which both gave the "limited winter maintenance" advisory, and once overhead I came to understand that meant "we don't plow the runways"! Fortunately Squamish had fuel! Things may have changed recently. You could call the folks at Glacier Air 1800 265-0088, they'll likely know! Enjoy!

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

Thanks Airtids

A little more digging and I found my answer
AIRPORT SNOW CLEARING POLICY
The Pemberton Airport is primarily a summer facility, with only limited maintenance performed during the winter months, such as apron clearing in case of emergency. At Regular Council Meeting No. 1172, held January 23, 2007, the following resolution was passed with respect to Airport Snow Clearing:

THAT a policy be established whereby if an individual wishes to make arrangements for snow clearing at the Airport the entire runway must be cleared, at their own expense, under the supervision and at the discretion of the Works Manager and to the standards set by Transport Canada and the Village of Pemberton.

THAT the Village schedule runway clearing at the discretion of the Works Manager and upon the following conditions:

Promising weather conditions with several days without snow fall
The Village core is sufficiently cleared and tidied
Availability of staff and equipment

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

I don't know if this report was posted here before but I think it was done in anticipation of the 2010 Olympics. Now with the Q400 opening new markets in the West could YPS be the new gateway to some the greatest ski terrain in North America?
pembertonairportlanduseplan_finalreportw_dwgs.pdf
(1017.25 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
CYPS.Pemberton.21.640x480.jpg
CYPS.Pemberton.21.640x480.jpg (46.97 KiB) Viewed 2607 times

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Nice glossy report. Forget it.

Being right next to the coast, icing is dramatic and usually severe. Unless it's CAVU and daylight, the minimums would be higher than Castlegar. I tried to get in there a couple of times with an AC6T in May and it was hopeless. No weather reporting either. Climbing out and losing an engine would be very interesting.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

:rolleyes: I am sure the reason for putting this expansion aside for now was because of all the icing. I think there's more icing in Terrace and Juneau than there would be in Pemberton. The Q400 or 737 would do just fine there.

With more kids having to move outside of the lower mainland because of 45,000 investor millionaire's allowed into the province this area is growing fast with tons of outdoor recreation. The Sea to Sky corridor is still narrow in many parts and is cut off by rock slides and traffic accidents almost weekly. With RNP approaches going public and GPS technology becoming more reliable there is a strong likelihood that YPS would get a useful approach that would facilitate Encore or Jazz offering service. I was stuck for over an hour last week just driving from Horseshoe Bay to the Iron workers memorial bridge while trying to get to YVR. With Squamish growing to over 22,000 full time residence by this spring, Whistler well over 12,000, Pemberton could become a much easier alternative than driving all the way down to YVR.

More info;
It seems that the only viable instrument approach that achieves access to Pemberton Airport with decent reliability is an RNP approach. The RNP approach should yield minimum descent altitudes in the range of 200’ to 250’. When cross-referenced against Ceiling and Visibility analysis in Appendix A, an RNP approach should provide access to Pemberton Airport over 97% of the time.
Among the carriers of interest to Pemberton Airport, WestJet and their B-737 fleet and Horizon with their Q-400 aircraft are the only carriers at present able to fly RNP Special Aircraft and Aircrew Authorization Required (SAAAR) procedures.
YPS.jpg
YPS.jpg (712.65 KiB) Viewed 2224 times

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Wasn't there an MLS approach and Dash 7 experiment run into Pemberton by AirBC ages ago? Just going by memory, I may be mistaken.

Edit: Alas - a bit of google : https://books.google.ca/books/about/Cos ... edir_esc=y

Edit #2 https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFA ... 202848.PDF

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

No problem getting into Pemberton with an MLS, the poor Dash 7 couldn't get out in icing.

Good luck with this, many have tried to make Pemberton useful but it's a CAVU summertime airstrip. F18s could probably operate out of there.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Unless you want to land on the moon the MLS system is ancient, forget it. RNP is the way to go. The village spent a ton of money on these two reports. Clearly Whistler has an interest to see this happen. If the BC "Liberals" can push a ski resort through in the Kootenay's I am sure they could see this as a viable project to get there greedy paws on. The 2nd report basically says, go big or go home.

http://www.pemberton.ca/media/12126/200 ... on_rpt.pdf

Return to “General Comments”