License Booklet question...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

License Booklet question...

Post by Taiser »

So my medical was up last July and I got it done, stamped by my CAME with no issues. I'm assuming he sent in the paperwork... My booklet expires in December so I sent in for a new one about 3 weeks ago and it came in today! Of course my medical in my NEW booklet is from my last medical in 2009 (only needed it every 5 years for a PPL), they never updated it to my last medical that was done over 3 months ago... WTF?

Sooooo.... my old booklet expires in December and I assume I can use it until then with the medical stamp, but how long is the stamp suppose to be good for? December will be at the 6 month mark and for some reason 90 days comes to mind on how long a stamp should be good for... Anybody know how long does it usually take to get a new medical sticker?

I know it's the government but THREE !@#$%^& MONTHS to get a sticker sent to you!!??!??!! I'm going to give TC a call sometime this week an see what's going on, but just thought somebody could chime in and tell me this is normal... :?
---------- ADS -----------

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: License Booklet question...

Post by Rudy »

Just carry both booklets. Why would the medical stamp be good for only 90 days? There is no need for a sticker unless you are upgrading from a Cat 3 to a Cat 1 or something. It's all just stamps now that indicate when your last medical was done.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Go back to your CAME, and ask him/her to stamp the new booklet. Then you are covered.

pez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pez »

Call the TC office that your medical paperwork was sent to... Explain the situation, and they'll be able to issue a medical sticker once your medical paperwork is done (sometimes takes 6 months before the CAME report is reviewed by a TC doctor). If you're nice and they're in an accommodating mood, they'll even find the CAME paperwork and make sure it's entered fairly quickly.

Notta Simfalt
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Notta Simfalt »

Rudy wrote:Just carry both booklets. Why would the medical stamp be good for only 90 days? There is no need for a sticker unless you are upgrading from a Cat 3 to a Cat 1 or something. It's all just stamps now that indicate when your last medical was done.
^this. Your next medical have the Doc stamp the new ADB.

Badges? We don't need no steenkin badges!
B-rad
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by B-rad »

7ECA wrote:Go back to your CAME, and ask him/her to stamp the new booklet. Then you are covered.
bingo! theres your answer!

My ambition is to live forever - so far, so good!
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Notta Simfalt wrote:
Rudy wrote:Just carry both booklets. Why would the medical stamp be good for only 90 days? There is no need for a sticker unless you are upgrading from a Cat 3 to a Cat 1 or something. It's all just stamps now that indicate when your last medical was done.
^this. Your next medical have the Doc stamp the new ADB.
+2. Just carry both until your next medical as the previous stamp is still valid.

tower controller
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tower controller »

I had the same situation and the answer I got was "the system will automatically flag it when it generates the booklet and send an electronic cue to generate the sticker which will be mailed separately", so far I have the sticker but no booklet...

TC inspector for the ATC side told if anyone runs into that keep both booklets on hand, just because the booklet expired doesn't mean the medical is invalid.

Tc

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

So far we are at 3.
Anyone else here want to get on the "Just carry two books for the next four years." bandwagon?

Internet! Why read the whole thing and find the actual information or question?

Just boink it on!
I trimmed and coloured what Taiser wrote:So my medical... up last July... got it done... Of course my medical in my NEW booklet is from my last medical in 2009 (only needed it every 5 years for a PPL), they never updated it to my last medical that was done over 3 months ago... WTF?

... I'm going to give TC a call sometime... but just thought somebody could chime in and tell me this is normal... :?
It's not normal but it's not surprising either. Hang in. I vote for going back to your doctor and asking thon to stamp the new booklet.

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

TC will not issue medical stickers. Same thing happen to me, called TC and they told me to carry both until the next one or to go get it stamped. Got the TC bill for the med nearly 9 months after the exam, lazy doc!

pez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pez »

rob-air wrote:TC will not issue medical stickers. Same thing happen to me, called TC and they told me to carry both until the next one or to go get it stamped. Got the TC bill for the med nearly 9 months after the exam, lazy doc!
Toronto office did for me quite happily.... That was a year or two ago though (licence went through the wash and replacement booklet had an old medical).

Cheers,
Colin

B-rad
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by B-rad »

Pop n Fresh wrote:So far we are at 3.
Anyone else here want to get on the "Just carry two books for the next four years." bandwagon?
I vote for going back to your doctor and asking thon to stamp the new booklet.
LoL I am surprised there is that much support for the "carry two documents" group. At least the "get your new document stamped" group is tied at 3 too.
While neither one is a bad idea, one of them is a better solution and you should usually go with the more correct answer as per industry standards.

My ambition is to live forever - so far, so good!
Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

I phoned up TC in Toronto and here's what happened...

1-A real LIVE person answered the phone, she was pleasant AND spoke flawless English!!!! A first in a long time of calling any government agency in Southern Ontario!!! :D

2-She pulled my file up while I was on the phone. Turns out there was some clarification they wanted on my medical and they had just mailed out (the previous day) a letter to me for clarification. Still, three months to fire off a letter seems long but maybe they are busy at this time of year.

3-Receptionist put me right through the the doctor reviewing my file, gave him the answers he wanted on the phone, he rubber stamped my application and said my sticker would be in the mail the next day!!! Holy cow! :shock: Told me to just ignore the letter now when it arrives. Super nice guy on the phone too, must be new to the government job! :D

So that issue is solved. All in all, not too bad for dealing with TC.

I think Pop'n is right. Carrying two licenses would suck the big one and probably raise more questions to answer if I was ever ramped, although it's only happened once. Best bet would be to get the new license stamped. The doc here is pretty good and I think he would have done it without dinging me again, but then I'd have to come up for an explanation on how my medical stamp was dated before my license was issued! LOL

Wonder if we will ever see what the States are looking at now for Cat3 license holders? No medical exams! I'd settle for a family doctor signing off as well. I have to get that done for my commercial drivers license medical anyways! Too many regulations just for me to fly around my little patch... :?

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Good to see it turned around and went smoothly. It can happen.

I don't think carrying two books is the worst thing, but to do it for most of the life of the new one seemed like too much for my OCD.

Gubamint here is a complex labyrinth with lots of holes to fall through.
Taiser wrote:Too many regulations just for me to fly around my little patch... :?
It's just how the game is. I suppose a guy could get some nice no-rule flying in some African countries. Might get murdered for being the white guy with food and shoes though.

I guess I'll stay here with my wife, risk shoveling snow again soon and having my booklet messed up upon renewal. I must say it is a very nice colour.

Return to “General Comments”