Oxygen....

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Will you go above 13K without oxygen for more than 30 min.

yes
47%
no
53%

Total votes: 60

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Oxygen....

Post by flyinhigh »

Now I know what it says in the CAR'S and in the A.I.P about 30 min above 10K and all, but what is the highest you've been without oxygen and for how long?
Just seeing what everyone thinks of this particular area of flight, weather they go above 10 thou or not....
---------- ADS -----------

colonel lingus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by colonel lingus »

1:30 @ 150 :roll:

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I used to all the time on long trips in the Ho. I fly medevac now and one time had to fly home unpressurized. I was at 10K and went back to check my O2 sats on the heart monitor. I came in at 88%. Medics generally give O2 once sats go to 93%. Needless to say, I went forward and put my mask on.

DiscoDashSeven
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DiscoDashSeven »

Sounds like someone is undercover TC looking to make a bust.

J.P.WISER
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by J.P.WISER »

DiscoDashSeven wrote:Sounds like someone is undercover TC looking to make a bust.
Good luck to them if they can prove you didn't have on a mask!!!

HAVIN A DRINK FOR YOU!!

J.P. WISER
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

undercover TC, I was at 13.5 yesterday for just under 2 hours in the HO.
LOL, trust me if I worked for TC, you'd actually love flying cause alot of the shit they pull wouldn't happen, dem c$$ksuckers

Caballero
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Caballero »

Last edited by Caballero on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

I've only been as high as 11 000, and only for 20 minutes or so, but I was feeling it. Perhaps because I'm not used to it, but that alone makes me realize that I might not be too usefull over 13 000 without O2.

mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

It takes too long to get thet high! Kind of cold in a convertible anyway.

aileron
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aileron »

Drove up Pikes Peak to 14,010' and violated the O2 requirement; although, they did have an oxygen bar up there. Was in a daze, confused as to what curios crap should be purchased...

twin turbines
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by twin turbines »

I know lots of dudes been above 150 for extended duration ( over 30 minutes at least ) in twotters. Highest I heard of was 180!!!

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Hmmm...I got stories. I'm just not sure this is the time or the place. Tell you what, meet you at the White Fox, you buy the first round and we'll talk.

:D

Juggs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Juggs »

The twin otter will do FL180, although this will generally be on a ferry flight. It is probably prudent to be on oxygen though.

I believe there was/is a strip in Chile, (help me out JC) that is above 10 000 feet.

Bye bye.

--Juggs

JUGGS-A waypoint in Idaho too!
scotothedoublet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by scotothedoublet »

La Paz, Bolivia (SLLP) is 13 000' and change.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Is the reg not worded to say that oxygen must be available to the pax and crew, not that it must be used?

I was under the impression the mask only had to go on above FL410.

scm
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by scm »

"Use of Oxygen

605.32 (1) Where an aircraft is operated at cabin-pressure-altitudes above 10,000 feet ASL but not exceeding 13,000 feet ASL, each crew member shall wear an oxygen mask and use supplemental oxygen for any part of the flight at those altitudes that is more than 30 minutes in duration.

(2) Where an aircraft is operated at cabin-pressure-altitudes above 13,000 feet ASL, each person on board the aircraft shall wear an oxygen mask and use supplemental oxygen for the duration of the flight at those altitudes.

(3) The pilot at the flight controls of an aircraft shall use an oxygen mask if

(a) the aircraft is not equipped with quick-donning oxygen masks and is operated at or above flight level 250; or

(b) the aircraft is equipped with quick-donning oxygen masks and is operated above flight level 410."

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Been to FL240 and took the O2 mask off. Ok for about 6 minutes. It was in the CAF high altitude chamber in Edmonton. They had you do a simple task like addition, or draw a stick house on paper. Start with mask on then take mask off. 5 or 6 minutes later the drawings look like a small preschooler drew it. The instructor then made me put the mask back on. Recovery took only seconds. Spent 4 days @ 9700 ft. @ the ski hill @ Taos N.M. with no ill effects. Most people are good for 10,000 above the altitude of acclimatation so Calgarians can do better @ 13,00 than Vancouverites. If anyone has the chance to take the high altitude indoc offered by various organizations, it is well woth the expense and effort.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

I stand corrected, I was thinking of the 410 rule.

Most I have heard of is FL200. Simulated of course.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The rules governing the use of oxygen are common sense guidelines put in place for flight safety.

Why gamble with so many variable factors that could degrade your ability to think clearly while flying? Assuming of course that you are capable of thinking clearly even with sufficient oxygen which some here seem to be incapable of anyhow. :mrgreen

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

It wasn't at Sault College, but I was hung over like a bastard, had a few smokes immediately before flying and went up to 6500 to do some spins with an instructor.

We went into the spin, and the instructor said, "recover", but I was having such a great time spinning around, that I didn't feel like it. So I went around, and around, then he recovered.

Afterwards, he asked me why I didn't recover. I didn't know why until I took some Human Factors courses at the College here.

What happened, I think, was hystoxic hypoxia- hypoxia caused by chemicals (leftover booze, and carbon monoxide) in the blood stream.

Needless to say, I don't fly hung over anymore. Hypoxia is real, and it makes you do stupid stuff, or not do the right thing when you should.

Words to the wise.

-istp :wink:

Return to “General Comments”