newly expired pilot license

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GreenStar
Rank 2
Rank 2

newly expired pilot license

Post by GreenStar »

I just realized this Sunday morning, my private pilot license expired almost two months ago. I have a current medical. I was out of the country for three months (just returned), it just slipped through the cracks. Looking through the government website did not produce any answers. Does anyone know how I will need to proceed from here? I will be doing some calling tomorrow, was just anxious for an answer before then. Thank you for any thoughts.
---------- ADS -----------

Aeros
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: newly expired pilot license

Post by Aeros »

I assume that you mean that your blue Aviation Document Booklet has expired. If that's the case, you'll have to submit an application for a new booklet using this form. To do that you'll need a new passport photo. Send it in to TC and wait a few months and a new booklet will arrive in the mail. Depending on how long ago you did your last medical the new booklet may or may not reflect the most recent one. If it doesn't, you'll then have to carry the two booklets around until your next medical.

If you plan to do any flying before the new booklet arrives you can request temporary versions of licences from TC. They come pretty quickly but they also ding you $35 for each document that they issue.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

I think if you can make it to a physical office during business hours they will issue a temporary license right away. This is presuming you get a cooperative person. A few years ago when I got my first blue aviation document booklet that sounded like the offer. I was not flying at the time so I just waited.

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

Thanks for posting the form Aeros

Mine expired (a while ago) and I need to get it sorted and renewed.

Haven't been able to fly for a long time and just flat forgot!

Your link saves me chasing it down...appreciate it.

Tom H

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Yes if you want to fly while you wait for your new booklet, go at a TC office and they will issue in a few seconds a temporary licence of 90 days for 35-40$.

GreenStar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by GreenStar »

Thank you for the thoughts and link. Not as bad as I feared.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Send it in to TC and wait a few months and a new booklet will arrive in the mail
I renewed mine about two months ago, and the total time from everything in to TC, to new booklet in my hands was faster than three weeks - no complaints....

Collidingwiththesky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Collidingwiththesky »

How far in advance of it expiring is a good time to send in a new application? Never done this before.

Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Edo »

Pop n Fresh wrote:I think if you can make it to a physical office during business hours they will issue a temporary license right away. This is presuming you get a cooperative person. A few years ago when I got my first blue aviation document booklet that sounded like the offer. I was not flying at the time so I just waited.

Best to call the licencing office first, some if not all regions have stopped taking walk in appointments, you have to call ahead and book a time.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Collidingwiththesky wrote:How far in advance of it expiring is a good time to send in a new application? Never done this before.
3 months and you should be fine, make some follow up by email if you haven't received anything after 2 months.

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

If you still have your old paper license from before, simply use it.

I was duped into paying $40 for the "temporary" - this is just nothing more than the same old paper license, with the addition of an expiry date... Biggest waste of $40 in a long time.

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Anyone know what the penalty would be for using a paper license?

Presuming a guy was somehow unaware of the new booklets, I suppose their medical must be expired by now. Still curious.
Edo wrote:
Pop n Fresh wrote:I think if you can make it to a physical office during business hours they will issue a temporary license right away. This is presuming you get a cooperative person. A few years ago when I got my first blue aviation document booklet that sounded like the offer. I was not flying at the time so I just waited.

Best to call the licencing office first, some if not all regions have stopped taking walk in appointments, you have to call ahead and book a time.
At lunch the other day I was informed via unrelated anecdote. "If you go to the TC office at YYC the door is locked and if you do not have an appointment you get invited to phone the 1-800 number to leave a message with Winnipeg to request one." :?

Return to “General Comments”