Recherche histoire accident hélicoptère juin 1956 Knob Lake

A la demande des usagers voici le nouveau forum de discussion en Français

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Zatopec, Rudder Bug, frog

JF Savoie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Recherche histoire accident hélicoptère juin 1956 Knob Lake

Post by JF Savoie »

album no 11-page 33b restes hélicoptère Sikorski.JPG
album no 11-page 33b restes hélicoptère Sikorski.JPG (106.2 KiB) Viewed 6883 times
album no 11-page 33b restes hélicoptère Sikorski.JPG
album no 11-page 33b restes hélicoptère Sikorski.JPG (106.2 KiB) Viewed 6883 times
Bonjour,

Question pour les amateurs d'histoire de l'aviation canadienne.

Mon père et moi montons un site internet pour la famille contenant ses mémoires. Il a 80 ans et il écrit sur différents moments de sa vie.
Un moment dramatique se passe en juin 1956. L'hélicoptère Sikorsky dans lequel il prend place s'écrase dans le nord du Labrador près de Knob Lake. Il travaillait à l'époque sur la ligne de radar dans le grand nord. Il va servir ensuite trois ans dans la RCAF comme médecin dont un an avec les Casques Bleus de l'ONU dans le désert du Sinaï.

Je cherche de l'information sur cet accident. Merci d'avance. JF Savoie
---------- ADS -----------

benoit.baril
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Recherche histoire accident hélicoptère juin 1956 Knob L

Post by benoit.baril »

Bonjour JF
Je pense que ta photo c'est l'arrière (côté droit) d'un Piasecki H21
Comme ça

et non une photo d'un autre modère Sikorsky utilisés sur la MCL (Mid-Canada-Line) à cette époque
Comme le H19
ou un H34

J'ai travaillé un peu dans Photoshop pour te démontrer pourquoi je pense que c'est un H21.
J'ai ajouté un morceau d'une photo d'un H21 trouvée sur internet pour la comparer à ta photo.
En rouge tu peux voir l'angle particulier qu'a la ligne blanche versus le reste du fuselage et en vert tu peux voir la position d'une trappe d'aération. La ressemblance est assez frappante et ne se retrouve pas sur les hélicoptères Sikorsky utilisés dans ce temps là.
reste heli démarche.jpg
reste heli démarche.jpg (355.23 KiB) Viewed 6818 times
La confusion pourrait bien venir du fait qu'il y a eu deux accidents d'hélicoptères à peu près en même temps au printemps 1956 dans le secteur de Knob Lake / Schefferville.

On peut lire plus à propors de cette histoire (en anglais) sur le site http://lswilson.dewlineadventures.com/mclstories.htm
Who Dropped It??
By Roger Cyr
In June or perhaps it was late May of 1956 and I was back at knob Lake for the third or fourth time. After almost fifty years I have a difficult time remembering all the trips I made into the Eastern Sub Arctic during the two and one-half years I spent with 108 Comm Flt helping build the Mid-Canada Line.

An H-34 Sikorsky out of Knob Lake with three crew members aboard experienced engine trouble and sat down hard on the shores of one of the many lakes that dot the northern landscape. A camp containing civilian workers was near by and they were able to find shelter and get a message through to Knob describing their predicament.

For reasons known only to powers far removed from the rank of LAC it was decided that I should be flown out to "guard" the helicopter that lay on it's side in the water and muskeg of an un-named lake along the 55th parallel. "We will be back to get you tomorrow." The crew of the H-21 told me as they flew away over the lake and sparsely wooded hills in a westerly direction.

Fifteen minutes after leaving me to fend for myself they too experienced engine failure and smashed into a small clearing wrecking their machine and seriously injuring one of the civilian workers who they were transporting to Knob Lake.

Finally on the fifth day another H-21 arrived and I was on my way back to Knob. Not so I was informed, for it was then that I learned of the plight of the other helicopter and the reason I had been left so long "guarding" the helicopter in the lake. I was dropped off at the latest crash site to help with the salvage operation. When I arrived the H-21 was on its side with a long jagged gash down the fuselage where one of the blades had pierced the metal and severed the arm of a civilian worker.

A Tech Rep who was based in Ottawa and two senior officers were inspecting the damage and they recommended the chopper be airlifted back to Knob and eventually Ottawa where a more extensive inspection could be done. Although I cannot remember the Tech Reps name, he and I had met during the previous winter when he smashed into my new car in the Squadron parking lot. He was from the southern USA and had never experienced a Canadian winter!

It took us the better part of three days to winch the fuselage into a position where we could remove the engine and rotor heads. We prepared the helicopter for transport back to Ottawa and I returned to Rockcliffe having completed my tour at Knob.

I had been back at the squadron a week before the helicopter arrived looking more beat up then when I had last seen it. Senior Officers and Technicians arrived to inspect the damage, and when the Tech Rep recognized my face he called me aside and said, "you dropped it." "It did not look like that when I inspected it at the crash site." "What am I going to tell my Company and especially Squadron Leader Hyslop." "This looks very bad for me suggesting to them that the ship could be repaired."

"I was not there when it was airlifted out." I said. They all left for a meeting in the CO's office.

That afternoon I received a phone call from the Squadron Orderly Room requesting my presence in the CO's office. I had a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach as I stood at attention in front of S/L Hyslop.

"Good to have you back Cyr," he said. "I had a phone call from you mother when you were in Knob, she hadn't heard from you for a while" "You should write home more often"

Roger Cyr
May 2005
Les photos suivantes sont aussi jointes à l'histoire de monsieur Cyr

J'espère que ça va vous aider dans votre démarche!
Salutations

Ben

GET TO DA CHOPPA!
Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day ben

Please excuse my response in English.

It was an R.C.A.F. Sikorsky H-21B s/n 9636 from No. 108 Communications Flight based at R.C.A.F. Station Rockcliffe, Ontario. The rear rotor blades struck a tree while attempting an emergency landing due to engine failure and also collapsed the starboard landing gear. It subsequently rolled onto its side 3 miles west of Site 303 near Knob Lake on 30 June 1956. The aircraft was repaired.

Here is the online translation which I hope is close to what I wrote in English.

Je vous prie d'excuser ma réponse en anglais.

Il s'agissait d'un arc Le Sikorsky H-21b s/n 9636 à partir du n° 108 Communications basée au vol R.C.A.F. À Rockcliffe, en Ontario. Les pales du rotor arrière ont heurté un arbre lors d'une tentative d'atterrissage d'urgence en raison d'une panne de moteur et également s'est effondré le côté tribord du train d'atterrissage. Par la suite, il a basculé sur le côté 3 milles à l'ouest du site 303 près de Knob Lake le 30 juin 1956. L'avion a été réparé.

Cheers...Chris

benoit.baril
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by benoit.baril »

Thanks for the info Chris!

GET TO DA CHOPPA!
Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day Ben

Sikorsky should actually read Vertol. Sorry, I was not feeling well when I posted it after having eye surgery

Cheers...Chris

Return to “Forum de discussion sur l'aviation en Français”