Travel Cameras

This forum is for all you story tellers to have a place to tell us your adventures like Duke Elegant once did.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

esp803

Re: Travel Cameras

Post by esp803 »

iflyforpie wrote:and get the FX D600
I tried one out down in Patagonia for a bit and I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. It's lacking just enough of the pro features of the 700/800 to drive me insane. If I was in the market for a FF Nikon, I'd be gunning for a lightly used 700. Just my observations from brief use. The 800 is great as long as it's on a very sturdy tripod with very good glass, the resolution is simply to much to get "perfect" results from hand holding, the 700 on the other hand is a dream!

E
---------- ADS -----------

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

See I'm the opposite. If they would make an FX version of the D3200 I'd buy it in a heartbeat. After spending the last few months playing around with a Rolleicord V TLR with no light meter, my DSLR has too many features now!

The better dynamic range of the D600 sells me on it more than the D700. Five years makes a huge difference in digital cameras.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

A big +1 on the DR, I would happily accept half the resolution on any camera for double the DR.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

esp803 wrote: I've been eying up the Fuji X-Pro 1, I suspect I'll hold off until I pick up an Elinchrom Ranger Quadra... just because I think adding more weight to my gear is a good idea..... :roll:

E
Great camera that X pro! Hell, most of the fuji X line is solid. I sold my x100 to a friend and regret it a bit now.. thankfully the future mrs. rowdy wants a holdable (read : not DSLR) setup that she can take with her. She liked the x100 for it's great color.. so maybe the 100s or an x20..

I just recently snagged a 5dmk3.. so I'm pretty much set for oh.. say... the next few months ;)

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I'm down to Canon's excellent G15 and Nikon's P7700. I'd LOVE a Leica X2, but not at almost 5X the price of the other two. You guys have any time on either of these? I had a G9, which my wife has taken under her wing. This will live in my tank bag. BTW, Henry's has D7000's on sale this week for 779$......that's very good BTW. The new D7100 is well over 1100$.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

The Canon SX 160 IS is a pretty impressive cameras and it won't break the bank. Takes awesome photos and has a 16X zoom.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

CLguy wrote:The Canon SX 160 IS is a pretty impressive cameras and it won't break the bank. Takes awesome photos and has a 16X zoom.
It performs okay image quality wise, but I found it to be pretty cheap and plasticy feeling. Not so sure about longevity. But again, thats what you get when you put up that little coin for a camera! That and anything that uses AA's is both good and bad. The gfs would eat through them in about half a day of mild usage (camping trips etc) but at least i could then steal batteries out of the flashlight for it.

I think if I was gonna go with a canon it'd be the G15 or G1x..

Fuji.. X20, XF1 or see if the new x100S IS really better than my x100

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I really wish you guys hadn't mentioned the X100S.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

IFP,

If you end up picking one up, let me know what you think, it's been on my radar for quite sometime.

E

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

iflyforpie wrote:I really wish you guys hadn't mentioned the X100S.
I had the x100.. loved it. sold it to fund the 5dmk3. May just get the X100S now as I miss it terribly. The thing was ridiculously good for color and with natural light.

Return to “Around the Camp Fire”