1%
SIAST
2%

Total votes: 359

BeechjetYKZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeechjetYKZ »

What about Georgian? AV management, im doing that next year.
---------- ADS -----------

Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Pete »

Dont bother going there, I did it...its a waste. Go to school for a trade or something...well, thats what I would do if I went again. The Georgian program is a business management program run by business people, ...who have by chance maybe owned a plane in their past, or had a very brief stint in the military. The actual aviation stuff is a joke (aircraft charateristics quizzes consisted of guessing aircraft from there sillouettes...wtf does that teach you?!). The co-ordinators aren't any different from a flight school...theyre looking for a buck. I felt like we were their retirement fund, and an easy 9-5 job.

If you dont know anything about aviation...well meh, it could be ok. But dont waste your money like I did. I had only one great teacher during my 3 years. Aerodynamics, back then a laid off AC pilot...great guy, and the best part was, even though he was waiting to go back to AC, he took his classes very seriously...a guy the co ordinators should learn from.

Idriveplane
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Idriveplane »

Algonquin CPAM YTA!

canadaaaaa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canadaaaaa »

Definitely Seneca College!!!! We've had many many many discussions of this on http://www.univforum.com/canadian-universities and each time the choice narrows down to Seneca. Seneca is definitely #1 in aviation.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Best Aviation College

Post by SuperchargedRS »

One thing that I think allot of people should know about confed but most dont is this.

ONE the fail out rate for the FIRST SEMESTER is about 1/3 (which is ridiculous)

In that semester you will have a substantial amount of money out of pocket, allot of it is ancillary stuff, residence (as almost everyone stays in res), food plan (which is over priced and you HAVE to have it if you stay in res), books, etc...oh yea and tuition, so it's a pretty penny. Also you only get about 15 hrs that semester, so hr to $ is high, fail out rate high. I think with the middle meal plan and single res and whatnot is was just under 10k so that's like $667 bucks to the college per hour for you (if that makes sense)
TWO Now if you get the boot, they will NOT refund the remainder of your residence or meal plan, hence most of the kids end up getting pushed to another program, this to me seems a little off.

THREE All of your grades will be decided by two tests at the end of the semester, both of these tests are worth the majority of your grade, most people find them harder then the majority of the classes, these tests dictate who stays and goes, you never get these tests back to see what you did on them, just a little note as to if your going to stay or not.
Another thing is that the dean of the flight program is not a pilot, his background is in MARKETING, yup marketing (he is responsible for allot of the articles you see online about people going right into the major airlines from college)

FOUR Now here is the thing, going to confed is a dice roll, the college does not have the resources to bring all the kids though first semester, so you have a 33% chance of loosing allot of money w/ only 15hrs to show for it, now if you make it past that...you will save some $$ from doing it privately... if you have the money do it privately, the degree is BS, if you really have a hard on for a degree just get one online or something.

monkeyspankmasterflex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Confed

Post by monkeyspankmasterflex »

Supercharged BS

Re Confed

Graduating class size varies. The only people who believe in a conspiracy to eliminate 1/3 of the class in semester one are those who stick their thumbs up their ass instead of hitting the books. Out of pocket costs like food and shelter? Get a job and let go of mommy's teet whilst you join the real world. The only people who don't have to pay for such things are bums and prisoners.

Anything that you've mentioned should not come as a surprise to someone showing up for the program, well except for the part about the degree. Unless things have changed it's a diploma program.

Is it better than any other flight college? Of course not, but it's a better deal than many.

15 yrs ago, less than $4K, CPL and floats in 21 months (plus the cost of living). Takes longer but the price was right. Not sure if it's still the deal it used to be.

Last edited by monkeyspankmasterflex on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

Canadore College should be on the list too! Though I'm not sure if it's as good as it used to be when you got 100 hours on the JetRanger for the cost of one year's tuition. Or are we only talking fixed wing?

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan

Return to “Best of AvCanada (Voting Forum)”