YEG FIR VFR First Postings

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

YEG FIR VFR First Postings

Post by s1yx »

Hi guys,

I know YEG/YYC towers would be unlikely destinations for a new controller's first posting, so I was wondering if there is a specific tower or two in the FIR where they prefer to send new trainees for their first posting?

Cheers,
---------- ADS -----------

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: YEG FIR VFR First Postings

Post by nfpeanut »

When I did my interview they told me either Whitehorse, Yellowknife or Fort McMurray. A very small few got posted to Villeneuve.

MPE444
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MPE444 »

Don't quote this, to my knowledge the AbInitio's from the course that just ended went to MM.

Of the preceding 3 courses combined I think the distribution was 2 XY, 3 ZF, 2 MM.

robshelle
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by robshelle »

I have been involved with VFR training at YEG FIR for the last few years. The last course had 1 go to CZVL and 1 to CYMM. So Whitehorse, Yellowknife, McMurray are the 3 most sent to, by Villeneuve and even Springbank are slight possibilities.

Rob Benusic
CYEG Tower

s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

Hi Robbie, I was told during my second interview that they have courses planned in both the spring and the fall for YEG. Do you know which courses are planned for when?

robshelle
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by robshelle »

Not 100% sure, but a course should be starting this March, and then another one next September. It is fairly safe to say that Yeg will be running 2 courses every year, for a long time. With Yellowknife, Whitehorse, and Fort mcmurry being most likely places to go after basic, many controllers are looking at the fastest way of getting out of the North. And that means looking at bidding into other regions as soon as able(3 years after qualification I believe) as well as YYC, YEG, and the centre.

Robbie Benusic

Return to “ATS Question Forum”