From Pilot to ATC

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

stallion
Rank 0
Rank 0

From Pilot to ATC

Post by stallion »

Hey all,

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has made the change from Pilot to ATS. I have always been interested in ATC and have a few questions. I'm really looking for opinions from people who have done the pilot route and decided to change later on in their career. I like the idea of living comfortably in a good city with job security. How long does the process take? What are the odds of getting the location you want? (VFR controller in BC, Southern Ontario or YYC would be ideal for me). Is it a Career or do people usually move on after a period of time because of stress ect.? Is there annual training involved or are there any currencies you are required to maintain besides medical? What does a standard monthly schedule look like (days off/night shifts/overtime)? What is a standard salary for VFR controllers? I've scanned over most of the avcanada posts and have been through their website.

I'm looking for personal opinions and experiences.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: From Pilot to ATC

Post by cdnpilot77 »

DHC-1 Jockey is a poster that went from a pilot in a large canadian regional to ATC and in training at the moment I believe. Haven't seen him lost for a while, probably busy in training, but this one may catch his eye. You can search and PM him too

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Yes, I made the switch from being a Commercial Airline Pilot to the ATC world, and cdnpilot77 is right.. To say I'm busy with training is an understatement!

The NavCanada Take Charge website is a great resource explaining the steps that trainees go through if you haven't been there already.
https://takecharge.navcanada.ca/en/

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

From my personal experience dealing with pilot trainees over the years, I can say that being a pilot gives you an edge until about half way in your training. Obviously things like phraseology, rules of separation, wake turb and such are known concepts and therefore being a pilot definately helps during the initial stages of training. There comes a point however where that edge you have over your colleagues in training is no longer there. The reason for that is very simple....

ATC and pilots, even if they work in the same industry, are worlds apart in terms of profession and skills involved at being good at each.

Controllers, even if we think we are know it alls, can't just hop into an A320 and take it for a spin!

Same for pilots. Some might think they have the picture of the airspace by simply looking at their TCAS, when that is clearly not the case.

Bottom line, pilot applicants at NavCan have an edge over the rest during the first half of training. After that, everyone is pretty much on a level playing field.

Some of the best trainees I've had (Braun being one of them) actually had zero experience in aviation before applying.

Thenoflyzone

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

thenoflyzone wrote:
Some of the best trainees I've had (Braun being one of them) actually had zero experience in aviation before applying.

Thenoflyzone
Thanks but I believe you made a type-o.... I think you meant '' THE BEST''. Hehe. I 100% agree with the pilot experience being helpful until a certain point. After that the personal skill set will override life experience be it aviation or not.

cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cyeg66 »

Braun wrote:Thanks but I believe you made a type-o.... I think you meant '' THE BEST''. Hehe. I 100% agree with the pilot experience being helpful until a certain point. After that the personal skill set will override life experience be it aviation or not.
:roll: Someone get a load of this guy! AK, tune him in, will ya? :mrgreen:

Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Bahhh, cyeg66, like me you work in a REAL TCU! :)

thenoflyzone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thenoflyzone »

Says the guy who's gonna come back to Capitals this summer and doesn't even know it ! Lol

Plus, don't kid yourself, you know you enjoy a "one man show" terminal. YOW/YQB is what made you ! You're just on lease to YUL..... :mrgreen:

Return to “ATS Question Forum”