Training funding

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Training funding

Post by rspencer38 »

I know this was asked before but I cannot seem to find the post...

What options are available for funding the unpaid portion of your training? From my understanding Canada Student Loans is not an option but I could use RRSP. Are there any other options? If you have been through training, what did you do?
---------- ADS -----------

s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Training funding

Post by s1yx »

A note on the RRSP side of things, Nav Canada training isn't qualifying education under Canada's Lifelong Learning Program (LLP) that allows you to withdraw from your RRSP tax free. You can withdraw from the RRSP if necessary, but you will be taxed at the time of withdrawl.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

Are you sure about that? I have read on this forum and others that individuals have been successful in withdrawing from RRSP LLLP.

s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

It may have changed in the past few years, but I spoke with the CRA directly in December (as I was interested in the same thing), and they advised that it would not qualify for tax-free withdrawl.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

Interesting, I'll call CRA to see what they say.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

I called CRA and it appears you are correct. Although interestingly they told me they could not confirm for sure and to check with Nav Canada.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

rspencer38 wrote:I called CRA and it appears you are correct. Although interestingly they told me they could not confirm for sure and to check with Nav Canada.
That's....interesting, for lack of a better word. Clowns.
I wonder if NavCanada defers to CRA on airspace classification or crew licensing issues.

vince79
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vince79 »

Complicated enough... In order to be eligible for LLP, the educational institution has to be approved by CRA. Nav Canada is in the list there:

http://tools.canlearn.ca/cslgs-scpse/cl ... om-name=on

So i guess it's possible, in regards of these informations:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs ... t-eng.html

Good luck ! :)

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

Great... even more confusing! hahah thanks

SkyMik
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SkyMik »

Hey everyone, been reading these forums a long time, but this is my first post!

I have a follow up question that may be stupid, but after reading this thread, I have some concerns about the NavCanada ATS training costs.

I recently got invited to a NavCanada assessment which i'm prepping for at the moment - based on the information on the TakeCharge website, I was under the impression that training "tuition" including books, sims, and supplies were covered by NavCanada, with the exception of examination fees.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, and if possible, where I can find the correct training costs!

Cheers,

SkyMik

TA/RA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TA/RA »

You hare responsible to pay NavCanada the tuition prior to course start if you are selected.
I may be a little off but my tuition for IFR was approximately $4000. It is less for VFR.

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

deleted

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkyMik
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SkyMik »

FSS airport: $1000
https://takecharge.navcanada.ca/career- ... st-airport

FSS at FIC: $1000
https://takecharge.navcanada.ca/career- ... ialist-fic

VFR: $2500
https://takecharge.navcanada.ca/career- ... controller

IFR: $3500
https://takecharge.navcanada.ca/career- ... controller

Note that it says "+ tax" on the Nav Canada site

Thank you for the info - much appreciated! I don't know how I missed that on their website!

I noticed the training duration for IFR is 13-26 months; am I to assume this is based on ones study habits, ability to digest the information, and first-time round passes on examinations? Or is it more so based on class sizes, instruction availability, holidays, etc?

Cheers,

SkyMik

s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

During my ACC tour I asked what accounted for the variability in the course duration and was told it's almost exclusively people being CT'd that makes a course shorter. Other than that the different specialties (for IFR) have slightly different durations depending on how complex they are.

SkyMik
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SkyMik »

s1yx wrote:During my ACC tour I asked what accounted for the variability in the course duration and was told it's almost exclusively people being CT'd that makes a course shorter. Other than that the different specialties (for IFR) have slightly different durations depending on how complex they are.
Sorry, noob here... CT'd?

Thanks s1yx!

W0XOF
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by W0XOF »

Ceased Training (released from training).

Read you 2 by 2. Too loud and too often!
s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

Cease training, cut in other words :).

SkyMik
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SkyMik »

Ah, thanks for the clarification!

Here's hoping for a shorter training period! Getting to Phase 2 (paid training) as quick as possible would be nice!

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

s1yx wrote:During my ACC tour I asked what accounted for the variability in the course duration and was told it's almost exclusively people being CT'd that makes a course shorter. Other than that the different specialties (for IFR) have slightly different durations depending on how complex they are.
I don't see how CT affects course length. The course length varies depending on the structure of the training plan which is developped specifically for each speciality. The fact that some people on a given course will not change the length of your course. You will go through the same amount of sim time if you are 2 or 10. Maybe, if the sim is full, that could slightly change the length but nothing drastic.

I'd say the Generic/Speciality course length is pretty the same length from course to course, what changed is the on the job training because that is based on your performance alone.

sklasz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sklasz »

Simulation is really the only time a CT can impact the length of the course. For instance just as an example, 4 students, 4 runs per day, 100 total runs for the course= 100 days, half way 2 students get CT'd what would have taken 50 days to complete now only takes 25, 5 weeks off the course.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”