When to get the medical?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

When to get the medical?

Post by rspencer38 »

Anyone know when you are supposed to get the medical during the recruitment process? I was green lighted for my final interview a few weeks ago but I am not sure when I need to get the medical completed. I get the impression that it is required once you receive your official training offer, is this correct?
---------- ADS -----------

vince79
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: When to get the medical?

Post by vince79 »

You're correct ! Once you receive your training offer, you have to provide your medical certificate.

However, if you want to be ready, you can proceed right now ! It's a few $$$, but it takes about 1 month to receive the certificate once you're done with your tests (medecine examination, ECG and audio test).

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

What is the cost?

s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

I started the medical process last Friday (was advised by the CAME that it usually takes about 3 weeks to process) and the base cost was $125.00 plus $35.00 for the ECG (required for your first medical, and then again as you age) so a total of $160.00. This was in Alberta however so the cost may be different elsewhere.

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

deleted

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

Legacy14 wrote:Since there's no guarantee of receiving a course offer, why bother getting it beforehand? Could be wasting your time and money. When I was chasing the dream of helicoptering I wasted time and money on aerial pesticide applicator licences in 3 provinces, thinking it would help me land a job with an operator. I can't be a good example, so at least I will serve as a horrible warning.

Out of curiosity I contacted a CAME listed on the TC site in my area but turns out he's not doing these exams anymore. According to him each CAME sets their own fee. Suggest contacting CAME local to you for fees. If it were me though I wouldn't bother getting it unless I actually need it.
In my case I chose to action the medical early rather than wait for an offer because there was a little concern that I might not meet some of the requirements without further medical procedures. Turned out it wasn't an issue and I passed the CAT2 easily, and at the end of the day maybe I waste a bit of cash but to me the peace of mind is worth it, especially considering they are still selecting for YEG Spring courses in April and May.

vince79
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vince79 »

Considering the medical is valid for 2 years, and you have at most 18 months in the pool, maybe that's a bit of a waste of cash, but as s1yx said, you'll have peace of mind and be ready to provide your medical as soon as you get an offer. This offer could be short notice and you don't want to stress this paperwork :)

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

What exactly happens during this medical?

s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

Here are the CARs Medical Standards set by TC: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... 2-1412.htm

You can get a pretty good feel of what will be tested during the examination.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

I read that page but I was wondering HOW they actually do the testing? Is this like a physical style examination where you are required to be physically active or is it more based on scan's and other medical tests.

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

deleted

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

For me I did the following -

Urine Test (but I don't believe this was a TC requirement, more just something that my particular clinic does)
Vision Testing (Near & Far Acuity - reading the charts, and Ocular Balance - cover/uncover test)
Ear Exam (Looked in my ears, etc)
Hearing (Simple tone testing)
Physical Examination (Stethoscope tests, organ palpations, general touching/feeling)
ECG (60 seconds while laying down)

They take a fairly thorough history (medical & family) so I'm sure that plays into the areas they focus on, like if you have a history of heart problems, or heart problems run in your family they may do additional screening for heart conditions. Same goes if you're a smoker, the examiner mentioned there are some tests that they don't bother with on non-smokers.

Also I'm pretty sure the medical is required before you start training, the blurb on the medical requirement on the Take Charge dashboard says that incomplete medicals, or security checks will invalidate your training offer. It makes sense because why would they make you quit your job, potentially relocate, start investing their time and money into you when you might not be able to pass the medical down the road?

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

deleted

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

I agree with you that NavCanada should probably include the Medical as part of the final interview step as from what I can tell a lot of people seem to be getting short notice offers. Unfortunately they hold all the cards in this process, and I get the feeling that they intentionally difficult on people as some sort of unoffical hurdle to further cull the pool.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

s1yx wrote:I agree with you that NavCanada should probably include the Medical as part of the final interview step as from what I can tell a lot of people seem to be getting short notice offers. Unfortunately they hold all the cards in this process, and I get the feeling that they intentionally difficult on people as some sort of unoffical hurdle to further cull the pool.
Not intentionally difficult. It is is difficult because the people running courses are mostly operational employees and in this job things can change really fast. Culling the pool has nothing to do with it.

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

deleted

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

If I was running a training class, I would want the applicants who would move heaven and earth to put their ass in that training seat even on a couple short weeks notice, as those are the people who would are more likely to take it 110% seriously and put their entire lives into to to make the cut.

Maybe it's not intentional, but I'm sure it weeds out some of the less dedicated candidates.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

s1yx wrote:If I was running a training class, I would want the applicants who would move heaven and earth to put their ass in that training seat even on a couple short weeks notice, as those are the people who would are more likely to take it 110% seriously and put their entire lives into to to make the cut.

Maybe it's not intentional, but I'm sure it weeds out some of the less dedicated candidates.
Part of what you say is true but the real truth is the only way to weed out these people is once the course starts. Doesn't take very long either.

rlou14
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rlou14 »

Average time to get medical back?

YYZ FIR

classified
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by classified »

If you hold a CAT1 medical can it be converted or downgraded to a CAT2? Looking at the CARS it appears to be mainly all the same so I would think it should be easy to pass the CAT2 i'm just curious.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”