YOW - SQUAWK Codes

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dirtysidedown
Rank 2
Rank 2

YOW - SQUAWK Codes

Post by dirtysidedown »

Hi, I have just recently switched to the Rockcliffe Flying Club (RFC) at CYRO which is settled right in between CYOW (OTTAWA) and CYND (GATINEAU). I am wondering what is the best way to request a squawk code?
  • Is there a 1800 number to call and get prior to startup?
  • Is it better to acquire before departing the circuit at CYRO?
  • Is it better to contact CYND while on the ground prior to departure?
---------- ADS -----------

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: YOW - SQUAWK Codes

Post by Braun »

Good for you on checking on local procedures! If you depart CYRO and will be transiting through class C airspace call on the ground 1-800-YUL-CODE and they will set you up. If you are doing circuits at YRO you won't need a code so no worries. Worse case scenario you can call us in the air but if the controller is busy you are adding to the workload as the controller needs to add all your info manually. You may expect delay or refusal through class C depending on traffic volume. Always better to have a code before being airborne. If you are going to YND from YRO and stay below class C it is still a good idea to call and get a code YND FSS gets quite busy at times.

dirtysidedown
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dirtysidedown »

Thanks much for the quick response Braun.

I did all of my flight training out of CYOW so i was quite used to the procedures with Clearance/Ground/Tower/Terminal. But now based out of an uncountrolled site, it is much different and slightly out of my comfort zone. I just need to build the confidence, but don't want to impact flight ops in the process.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

MY pleasure! Also if you haven't flown recently make sure to check your charts the airspace classification changed and also the shape and altitudes of class C changed.

sklasz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sklasz »

I wish there was a 1-800-YYZ-CODE

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I thought it was VFR-CODE?

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

You are probably right I'll check at work tomorrow...we don't deal with flight planning much, my bad.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Thanks DanWEC, it is indeed 1-866-VFR-CODE.

jasmantle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jasmantle »

If you are doing circuits at CYRO, or going to the practice area, you do not need a transponder, let alone a code. But use 1200.

If you're going to transit the CYND Gatineau airspace then you can radio them while on the ground at Rockcliffe, state your intentions, and request a code. Dial in the code pre-launch, and they'll see you coming and it makes the transition much easier.

If you file a flight plan then you'll get a transponder code during the call, or they'll have one ready for you on first contact with ATC (usually Ottawa terminal or tower). The data entry into the system is already done, so this is minimal workload for the controller.

And 1-866-VFR-CODE always works.

If you ask for a squawk code as you approach terminal the controller has to do some rapid typing to enter you into the system in order to give you a code - that's a bunch of work to a controller who may already be loaded. They'll support you as best as they can, but any of the above 4 methods is preferable for them.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”