YYZ Low & OVer in light GA A/C

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

YYZ Low & OVer in light GA A/C

Post by niss »

I keep hearing about the odd light GA (172, DA20, PA28, etc) that is allowed to do a low and over for YYZ.

How are these arranged? Are there specific times where it is quiet enough?
---------- ADS -----------

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: YYZ Low & OVer in light GA A/C

Post by cossack »

No specific times but at quieter times you're more likely to be accommodated. If you're coming out of YTZ ask them or 119.3 and they will ask us. Normally not denied, but don't be offended if it is.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

So if I decided to come down to Toronto from Barrie just call Centre up and ask for a low & over?

If they would allow a low & over why would they not allow me to land? Does it become an issue of ground handling speed, etc?

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

You can land if you want, just be prepared to get crushed by the landing and ground handling fees :) Seriously, it's going to cost you hundreds of dollars in handling at the FBO's.

I just called FSS to confirm, and there is no actual restriction going in to YYZ on a VFR flight plan but realistically you should tanker some extra gas for the inevitable holding that you will have to do while they try to squeak you in between turbojets. The normal airspeed for arriving aircraft is not below 170 knots until you hit the marker, and that's going to be tough to do in most GA singles.

I do see the occasional Caravan on floats there, and I've also seen a few single-engine piston planes as well. It's just not the most relaxing arrival.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

So not exactly a feasible option to ferry friends and family to YYZ from here?

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

Depends on your definition of feasible. It's not the cheapest airport to land at, that's for sure.

Call Landmark / Shell , Skycharter and Skyservice to see what their handling fees are for your plane, and then you'll have a much better idea.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Cool. Thx Sully.

BTW when the hell are you going to update your blog?

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cossack »

To clarify further:
A low and over of an active runway is probably not going to be accommodated but an overflight at 2000 or maybe 1500 would be. A low and over would cause delays to other users and wake turbulence considerations for your light type behind heavier types. WT waivers are not permitted at YYZ.
I handled a low and over after 10pm a couple of weeks ago. We were landing on 05 and 6L and departing 6L and the low and over was done on 33L with a turn NE before 05. He didn't seem to understand why I needed the turn before 05 and he got closer than I would have liked. Overflight is much easier.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

niss wrote:So not exactly a feasible option to ferry friends and family to YYZ from here?
Guy I know got a ferry from YTZ to YYZ in a 172 to pick up his private jet. The ramp fee was waived by the FBO (because his jet was parked there), the landing fee was about $200, and he was orbiting for 10-15 minutes or more until he could be fitted in.

It's a long way to the passenger terminals too.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

cossack wrote:To clarify further:
A low and over of an active runway is probably not going to be accommodated but an overflight at 2000 or maybe 1500 would be. A low and over would cause delays to other users and wake turbulence considerations for your light type behind heavier types. WT waivers are not permitted at YYZ.
I handled a low and over after 10pm a couple of weeks ago. We were landing on 05 and 6L and departing 6L and the low and over was done on 33L with a turn NE before 05. He didn't seem to understand why I needed the turn before 05 and he got closer than I would have liked. Overflight is much easier.
Gotta ask for that one day at 2000 or whatever when its really quiet, just once out of YTZ. I've overflown right down 05....at 7000 coming out of YKF to ottawa. (cleared that route -- via YYZ vor) Even that was kinda cool....seeing a plane below me start the roll down 05.

Otherwise.....landing at big airports lost whatever appeal it had...give me a nice U/C or regional when needed for customs or something.

Last edited by Rookie50 on Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

photofly wrote:
niss wrote:So not exactly a feasible option to ferry friends and family to YYZ from here?
the landing fee was about $200, and he was orbiting for 10-15 minutes or more until he could be fitted in.

An instructor told me he had a charter flight into YYZ to drop off a family. They ended up with a $200 landing fee and $150 handling fee. ATC had them land at one of the runways farthest from the heavy traffic and farthest from the FBO. Took them a ton of time (and fuel) to get taxi'd in and back out. The money was not an issue for the family so...
For me, $300 would pay for really nice town car to take you anywhere in Toronto from YTZ. $50 is what I was charged last time to overnight on the island.
Besides the view coming into the island is a lot nicer, especially at night.

If you're ever in the Windsor/Detroit area, contact DTW approach and request "the cage". They will put you right over the center of the airport and you get to watch the heavies take off under you.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Hard to beat the Bay Area tour and overflight of SFO at 2000' watching the scheduled traffic climbing into and then out of the mist carpet around the Golden Gate Bridge. Any time of day.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Departing one night from CNC3 for a city tour, the terminal controller asked if I was comfortable enough to do a pass down 15. It was sometime after 2200 local and I guess they weren't particularly busy.
The view looking down at terminal 1 was excellent.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

Similar in Vancouver. You can request a training slot time and then an approach/low over at YVR. Only during certain times though. So long as you don't go below a certain alt./touch the runway you don't get charged the landing fee.

One time someone "accidentally" touched down, the school was not impressed with the bill they got.

esc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by esc »

photofly wrote:
Guy I know got a ferry from YTZ to YYZ in a 172 to pick up his private jet. The ramp fee was waived by the FBO (because his jet was parked there), the landing fee was about $200, and he was orbiting for 10-15 minutes or more until he could be fitted in.

lucky me... I was into YYZ several times in the 80s in a Cherokee... my recollection was that landing cost me less than $20 and Avitat did not charge me for parking. Timing is everything... now... where did I leave that TARDIS key?

Return to “ATS Question Forum”